PDA

View Full Version : Can you create magical items sized for Huge, Large, Small or Tiny creatures?

Clistenes
2021-02-07, 04:50 PM
Has it ever been confirmed if you can create magical items sized for Huge, Large, Small or Tiny creatures?

I am unsure if it should be allowed...

On one hand, Staffs and Rods can double as Quarterstaffs and Maces, so it makes sense that they would be of the appropriate size...

On the other hand, if you could craft Pixie-sized magic Staffs and Rods that you could carry in your pockets... why would you bother crafting a normal-sized one instead? I mean, you could carry your miniature rod or staff in a holster on your hip and quickly take it out as needed during combat.

Contrast
2021-02-07, 05:16 PM
In most cases, a magic item that’s meant to be worn can fit a creature regardless of size or build. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they magically adjust themselves to the wearer.

That said, can you create a magic item of a specific size? Sure, knock yourself out.

Clistenes
2021-02-07, 09:49 PM
I'm pretty sure stuff you carry in your hands like weapons, staffs, rods and wands don't count as "meant to be worn..." do swords resize when taken?

That said, can you create a magic item of a specific size? Sure, knock yourself out.

As I said, wouldn't that count as making the item more practical at the same cost?

Mellack
2021-02-07, 09:56 PM
An easy solution is to just have the magical items resize to fit the user with attunement or after a certain period of time.

Zhorn
2021-02-07, 10:18 PM
The DMG has a section on magic items and their size appropriateness

Wearing and Wielding Items
In most cases, a magic item that's meant to be worn can fit a creature regardless of size or build. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they magically adjust themselves to the wearer.

Rare exceptions exist. If the story suggests a good reason for an item to fit only creatures of a certain size or shape, you can rule that it doesn't adjust. For example, armor made by the drow might fit elves only. Dwarves might make items usable only by dwarf-sized and dwarf-shaped characters.

Wizard_Lizard
2021-02-08, 05:55 PM
On the other hand, if you could craft Pixie-sized magic Staffs and Rods that you could carry in your pockets... why would you bother crafting a normal-sized one instead? I mean, you could carry your miniature rod or staff in a holster on your hip and quickly take it out as needed during combat.

Well I mean.. wands.

Falconcry
2021-02-08, 07:32 PM
Gurt’s Greataxe comes to mind. Not many gnomes swinging this bad boy. https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/gurts-greataxe

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. It is sized for a giant, weighs 325 pounds, and deals 3d12 slashing damage on a hit, plus an extra 2d12 slashing damage if the target is human.

Contrast
2021-02-09, 03:00 AM
As I said, wouldn't that count as making the item more practical at the same cost?

Its very much up to a DM. Perhaps certain enchantments will only take on certain types of object? Perhaps not.

If you came to me and asked if you could put a particular enchantment on a pixie sized staff so it fit in a pocket I'd probably just look at you oddly and ask if you wanted it on a ring or amulet instead.

Wraith
2021-02-09, 04:55 AM
Can you make Tiny or Huge magical items? I don't see why not - there are many intelligent creatures who are themselves Tiny or Huge sized, so why wouldn't they make their own magic items at a size which is convenient for them? Or, if they're intelligent but not necessarily magically inclined, why wouldn't they hire someone to make it to order for them?

As to whether or not a Medium creature could make use of these items... I'd say that in principle they probably could, *if* they could reasonably handle the object in a sensible way. A Medium creature probably would struggle to lift a Huge creature's enchanted Greatsword, but why not use a Huge Dagger as their two-handed weapon? A Tiny creature probably couldn't wear a Medium magic ring on their finger, but maybe they could wear it as a tiara or a torc around their neck? Sounds like a fun way to vary and personalise your magic items, I think.

A Medium creature using a Tiny wand... I might draw the line there. Can they reasonably read the teeny tiny activation runes carved on the bottom? Can they manipulate the 'on' button with their giant fingers? If the player can find an interesting and inventive way then I might let them, but good luck trying to pull out a magnifying glass and prod at the switch with a sewing needle in the middle of a fight! :smalltongue:

elyktsorb
2021-02-09, 09:31 AM
I think the issue is most magical items just auto-scale to whomever is using them don't they, so the point of specifically making a magic item tiny or huge is a bit moot.

If you mean that being Tiny or Small, or Huge is a requirement to even use the magic weapon, that could be interesting, though I believe that would break convention as they seem to only implement size restrictions using the 'Heavy' attribute on weapons.

Altheus
2021-02-09, 09:32 AM
Its very much up to a DM. Perhaps certain enchantments will only take on certain types of object? Perhaps not.

If you came to me and asked if you could put a particular enchantment on a pixie sized staff so it fit in a pocket I'd probably just look at you oddly and ask if you wanted it on a ring or amulet instead.

Isn't a pixie sized staff just a wand?

Avonar
2021-02-09, 11:27 AM

For things like this I rule that the item reshapes itself to suit you on attunement. They don't then shrink just because you put them down.

However, things like +1 weapons or other non-attunement items I say do not change size.

Just my personal take. So with that being said, I'd totally allow you to craft a tiny weapons or a giant weapon. Would affect material and time though.

Clistenes
2021-02-10, 11:24 AM
Isn't a pixie sized staff just a wand?

Wands have different powers than Staffs or Rods, though... A tiny Rod of Security is not a wand...

Wizard_Lizard
2021-02-10, 05:05 PM
Wands have different powers than Staffs or Rods, though... A tiny Rod of Security is not a wand...

it is now!

Samayu
2021-02-10, 08:44 PM
A greatsword in the hand of an ogre is still a greatsword, and does that much damage, even if the ogre is wielding it one-handed because it looks like a longsword on him. So no, weapons don't resize.