PDA

View Full Version : Trying to science out the DM's homebrew.

SangoProduction
2021-02-08, 12:55 AM
So, one of my DMs, who's using Spheres of Power has made it so that we can't take any casting traditions, and is imposing some sort of Aether homebrew, where tapping into it saves spell points.

I would honestly prefer a customized casting tradition that gives flavor to the casting, but... eh. It's workable.

Below, I have a list of points we've been able to either ask or science out about it, as I posted to the party. I'm wanting to know if there's anything obvious that I should really be considering.

Summary points about Aether
-Explosion Triggered when someone uses aether instead of spell points
--Unless they pass a concentration check (DC 10 + spell level + spell level of other spells in 30 ft.)
---Unknown if that's cumulative, thus cluster bombing effects around casters may or may not be impossible to pass.
---DC might be affected by metamagic. Possibly by spell point cost. Unknown.

-Has a chance of exploding nearby effects as well.
--Unknown if they get saves, or just explode
--Also unknown if those extra explosions can explode others as well.
--Unknown if buff effects turn your allies into a Snackbar.

-30 ft radius centered on caster
--Unknown if radius starts from origin or edge of effect.

-Increasing casting spell time by 2 steps, ignore chance of explosion.

-2 minute casting enables 20 mile teleport
-Same with targeted scrying. Seems a dangerous precedent.

-Magic Items are safe

-Unknown damage.

And that seems to be what we know as of now.

icefractal
2021-02-08, 05:28 AM
Is Aether unlimited or a second pool you have? If the former, the "increase time by two steps" method means no cost for long-duration buffs, like anything that lasts hours/level.

What does these mean?

-2 minute casting enables 20 mile teleport
-Same with targeted scrying. Seems a dangerous precedent.
These are boosted effects of existing talents by using Aether, or things that anyone using Aether can just do?

The exploding thing sounds like you could use it as a bomb by sticking a whole bunch of spell effects on like, a rock. Setting it off is tricky though. You can mostly stay out of range, but the caster initiating it will take at least two explosions (their own, and the chain one that passes it along to the main payload). This might be a good use for disposable companions (Puppet type) if they have the ability to use Aether too.

Fun usage, but requires mid-level: use the advanced Fate talent Elude Death, specify "death by Aether explosions", run up to a foe and set off as many as you can.

SangoProduction
2021-02-08, 12:20 PM
Is Aether unlimited or a second pool you have? If the former, the "increase time by two steps" method means no cost for long-duration buffs, like anything that lasts hours/level.

What does these mean?

These are boosted effects of existing talents by using Aether, or things that anyone using Aether can just do?

The exploding thing sounds like you could use it as a bomb by sticking a whole bunch of spell effects on like, a rock. Setting it off is tricky though. You can mostly stay out of range, but the caster initiating it will take at least two explosions (their own, and the chain one that passes it along to the main payload). This might be a good use for disposable companions (Puppet type) if they have the ability to use Aether too.

Fun usage, but requires mid-level: use the advanced Fate talent Elude Death, specify "death by Aether explosions", run up to a foe and set off as many as you can.

Unlimited, as far as I can tell.

Boosted effects of having taken a sphere. Oddly enough only did this for one particular player.

ooo. Elude Death sounds nice.