PDA

View Full Version : Help with dual Wielding Dex Base Battle master (LV 5)

Nosta
2021-02-08, 09:57 AM
I need Advice on a few things

I am going Human and am able to be a variant human.
Also Gm Is giving us a boon of One free extra feat at first level

I plan to Use Two long or short Swords and Re-Flavor them as Hook Swords.

Should I go short sword or long sword. I know there is a damage difference and if I recall I need a fest to dual wield Two long Swords.

What would be some feats I might want and what fighting style was best reflect me using (Hook) Swords?

Neoh
2021-02-08, 10:52 AM
I need Advice on a few things

I am going Human and am able to be a variant human.
Also Gm Is giving us a boon of One free extra feat at first level

I plan to Use Two long or short Swords and Re-Flavor them as Hook Swords.

Should I go short sword or long sword. I know there is a damage difference and if I recall I need a fest to dual wield Two long Swords.

What would be some feats I might want and what fighting style was best reflect me using (Hook) Swords?

Dual-wielding longswords with Dex is a bad idea.

To add your Dex to the damage of your attacks, the weapon must have the trait Finesse, which longswords do not possess. They better suit a dual wielding Str character.

To dual-wield, a weapon must possess the Light trait, once again, longswords do not have this trait. But you can circumvent this by getting the Dual Wielder Feat.

Shortswords and Scimitars possess both the Finesse and Light traits, so you don't need a Feat to dual wield them and you can add your Dex to damage.

Rapiers only have the Finesse trait, so you could dual-wield them with the Dual Wielder Feat if you want.

Edit: Forgot the fighting style and Feats.
You want to take the Two-Weapon Fighting fighting style, as it allows you to deal more damage with your bonus action attack.

More so than Feats, to replicate the Hook Sword fighting style, it's more important that you go for the Battlemaster archetype of the Fighter class. It gives you special maneuveurs such as Trip Attack or Disarm.

da newt
2021-02-08, 11:23 AM
Yup - grab the 2wf fighting style and Dual Wielding Feat and use 2 rapiers (Finesse for Dex and d8 for max damage, re-flavored as hook swords).

For BM maneuvers, I'd look at Tripping, Riposte, and Parry as thematically appropriate (but parry is pretty weak).

Max DEX and CON.

From there you can still pick another feat w/ V Human - I like RES WIS for the +1 and proff to a very important save, but you can pick your favorite (fey touched is another - pick HEX as your spell, Alert and Mobile and Tough are others).

If you want another option, you can pick an elf or half elf race and the Revenent Blade and Elvin Accuracy if your Dm allows ...

Nosta
2021-02-08, 11:57 AM
Well my Gm is letting play a spelless ranger
Im going for a Ranger who Hunts the most Dangerous Creature.....Man

I'll take 5 level of this ranger
I'm not to worried about pure DPS

Is there any other fighting style they might reflect skill with hook swords?

CTurbo
2021-02-08, 12:02 PM
As mentioned above,

Longsword = Str
Shortsword = Dex

If you can make this a Str build, go with longswords and the Dual Wielder feat.
If you want to stick to Dex, just use shortswords or scimitars and the Dual Wielder feat becomes unnecessary.
You could ask if you could refluff rapiers as hook swords which would get you the damage boost while also requiring the Dual Wielder feat.

Of course you want the TWF style either way.

So you get 2 free feats? Outside of Dual Wielder, TWF doesn't really have any feat support. I like to use feats to bolster the Fighter's completely nonexistent utility.

Sentinel is a good pick. When combined with Riposte, as long as you're standing next to a buddy in combat, you can reliably get a reaction attack.
Alert, Mobile, Tough, and Lucky are good on any character.
Res(Wis) is a solid pick for Fighters as it addressing one of it's biggest mechanical weaknesses.
Ritual Caster and Magic Initiate go a long way to boosting utility and are great options for Fighters who rarely have anything to offer outside of combat.

Emongnome777
2021-02-08, 02:39 PM
Well my Gm is letting play a spelless ranger
Im going for a Ranger who Hunts the most Dangerous Creature.....Man

I'll take 5 level of this ranger
I'm not to worried about pure DPS

Is there any other fighting style they might reflect skill with hook swords?

Your title says "Battle master", so I think everyone assumed you meant the fighter subclass (I did until this post).

If you want to dual-wield, two-weapon fighting style and dual wielder feat is pretty important. Even if you use light weapons, the +1 to AC is nice (and double-draw). But if you use light weapons, you can skip the feat.

If you don't need to dual wield, dueling fighting style is a good damage boost.

Sentinel is another solid feat as some have said, or defensive duelist maybe so long as you pick a finesse weapon (which you will assuming you are still going Dex as a base).