PDA

View Full Version : Best Armor for Bone Knight?

Maat Mons
2021-02-08, 04:50 PM
Another thread has gotten me thinking about Bone Knight. In particular, after the 8th level of the PrC, your choice of armor is locked in forever. Unless maybe you die. I think True Resurrection would bring you back without the armor, and you'd to craft and put on a new suit? Anyway, you're mostly not going to be switching your armor.

So what armor should a Bone Knight go with?

Obviously, it should be masterwork. I can't imagine what kind of bone-headed Bone Knight would fuse himself with non-masterwork armor and forever lock himself out of magical enhancements.

I don't think any special materials would be allowed. It has to be bonecraft armor, and near as I can tell, there's no special material compatible with that. In a way, bonecraft almost is a special material itself.

The armor needs to be medium or heavy. Is there any reason to go medium? Light armor might be nice for the unhindered speed. But that's not an option. Medium and heavy armor both slow your movement by the same amount for practical purposes. The only extra reduction for heavy armor applies solely to the run action, which doesn't come up very often.

I suppose full-plate is the most obvious option. But there's always the semi-obscure Mechanus gear for +10 AC / +0 max dex. The even more obscure Thaalud stone armor is, unfortunately, not an option, because bonecraft has that clause about the armor normally being made of metal. Or you could go with great armor (OA) for that Shredder / Vader vibe. … That Shrader vibe.

Which magical enhancements would be best? As a Bone Knight, you already get immunity to critical hits (at 10th level). So I guess there's no point in buying Heavy Fortification just to have it become redundant later. If you could sell the armor later and buy something else, sure. But you're a Bone Knight. Your armor is part of you (from level 8 on).

Looking at the List of Necessary Magic Items, the big things not covered by Bone Knight are Freedom of Movement, Mind Blank, True Seeing, flight, and teleportation. You can get Freedom of Movement on your armor for +5 enhancement bonus with the Freedom special ability. If you have nothing else on the armor (except the prerequisite +1), that's slightly cheaper than the ring. If you put other stuff on the armor, it will quickly become more expensive. But I guess it depends on how much you value that ring slot. And how much you want your armor to be awesome.

I can't find any way to get Mind Blank on your armor. The Exalted special ability gives Protection from Evil for +3 enhancement bonus. And the Masking special ability gives Nondetection for +40,000 gp. But that's really quite inferior. I don't see a way to get True Seeing onto armor either. Is there a way to add flight to armor? It seems like there would be, but I can't think of special abilities for it, just specific armors. Mind Blank, True Seeing, and Flight might just have to be acquired from the usual items.

Restful is maybe a thematic property to put onto armor you can never take off. Bone Knights are immune to fatigue anyway, so there's no mechanical benefit. But 500 gp might be an acceptable cost for a role-playing benefit. I know Restful Crystal is normally preferred over the Restful special ability. But that's just because you can keep the crystal when you get new armor, which isn't a factor here. And this way, you free yourself up for a different armor crystal... at night.

The various armor abilities that give energy resistance might be nice. Oddly though, they're more expensive than getting the same benefit using the table in the back of Magic Item Compendium. Speaking of that table, it also allows for giving the armor a deflection bonus and an enhancement bonus to your natural armor.

What else is there for useful armor abilities that doesn't overlap with the many awesome immunities already provided by Bone Knight? I guess there's Ghost Ward, for a bit of touch AC. And maybe Proof Against Transmutation to guard against Baleful Polymorph and Flesh to Stone.

Thurbane
2021-02-08, 05:39 PM
Depends on your Dex, I guess.

If you've dumped Dex completely, I'd go Mechanus Gear or Thaalud Stone Armor (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=10556068&postcount=8) (if the DM is OK with "stone" armor being bonecraft).

Falontani
2021-02-08, 08:12 PM
Bonecraft armor is made from bone. Well there is Dragonbone which I don't see granting any special properties, but there is also the prestige class Osteomancer, which adds Cold Iron, Silver, Adamantine, and the Osteomancer's alignment to his bones. I don't think you'd be able to get a DM to go for that unless you also happened to be the Osteomancer.

As for armor. I remember reading that you can take the enchantments of a specific item and enchant another item with those (just like how you can add additional enchantments to a specific item). So with that in mind Exoskeleton Armor grants DR 5/bludgeoning and follows the theme for 20k, Rhino Hide Armor would allow you to double the damage you deal on a charge attack for 3k, Armor of the Dread Emperor (while gruesome) would work well with a Bone Knight, strap a few of your commanded or granted skeleton (or other) minions in to split the damage you would receive for only 12k GP, and there is the Celestial Armor, but it's enchantment seems very much tied to the specific type of armor that it is placed on as it isn't just magically mithril or something like that.

Halfweight is a +3 enchantment from Underdark which causes any armor to be considered Light Armor. That might ruin the whole shtick of Exoskeleton of Undeath though.

Finally, Bone Knights are very much meant to be mounted (as seen from their undead steed ability). So why not just go all in and make the armor Mountain Plate.

Biggus
2021-02-08, 08:17 PM
You might find some useful ideas here:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?445923-Saving-from-WOTC-Forum-The-3-5-Armor-and-Shield-thread

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-09, 12:54 AM
...Rhino Hide Armor would allow you to double the damage you deal on a charge attack for 3k...

This +2 hide armor is made from rhinoceros hide. In addition to granting a +2 enhancement bonus to AC, it has a -1 armor check penalty and deals an additional 2d6 points of damage on any successful charge attack made by the wearer, including a mounted charge.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Maat Mons
2021-02-09, 03:44 AM
I can't believe I forgot Glamered! That guide suggests using the called ability instead. But that's not applicable to Bone Knights. So Glamered it is.

Apparently, there is a flying armor ability. It's called Whirlwind, and it's in Eberron Campaign Setting. I was all set to complain about how expensive it is, at 90,000 gp. But now that I think about it, that's only about +66.6% more expensive than Wings of Flying. Since the ability doesn't take up an entire body slot by itself, +50% was to be expected. And unlike the cloak, this armor isn't reliant on wings. That means you can't be tripped, and there might be fewer restrictions on flying in enclosed spaces.

… If you can never take off your armor, what do you do when you need to use the bathroom? Do you build the armor with a hatch? Do you buy a Ring of Sustenance to sidestep the issue? Is a warforged Bone Knight the dumbest idea ever?

Random aside: It says only Bone Knights can wear bonecraft armor "effectively." But what exactly does happen in a non-Bone Knight puts on a suit of bonecraft armor?

Saintheart
2021-02-09, 04:15 AM
This +2 hide armor is made from rhinoceros hide. In addition to granting a +2 enhancement bonus to AC, it has a -1 armor check penalty and deals an additional 2d6 points of damage on any successful charge attack made by the wearer, including a mounted charge.

On the other hand, the Valorous weapon quality will double your damage on a charge. And Riding Boots will offer a similar upgrade, albeit it's a bit more pricey. Both are gold for a mounted red-mist-maker.

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-09, 10:18 AM
On the other hand, the Valorous weapon quality will double your damage on a charge. And Riding Boots will offer a similar upgrade, albeit it's a bit more pricey. Both are gold for a mounted red-mist-maker.

There are a few sources that double your damage on a charge and they can be stacked (with the regular stacking rule for multipliers: 2 x double = triple).
Have a look at my Papa Smurf build which stacks a 6x damage multiplier on charge with pounce.

It's just that the Rhino Hide Armor ain't worth it. 2d6 dmg extra dmg that doesn't profit from multipliers ain't worth the investment.

MultitudeMan
2021-02-09, 01:44 PM
Worth adding Aporter for 20000 GP? Pricey, but you get the tactical teleportation you mentioned, with no body slot used.

Falontani
2021-02-09, 02:26 PM

Wasn't it changed from 2d6 to double in magic item compendium, did I look at an older version, or did I just fail my reading comprehension? Once I get more time I will have to double check

Sir_Chivalry
2021-02-09, 02:33 PM
Wasn't it changed from 2d6 to double in magic item compendium, did I look at an older version, or did I just fail my reading comprehension? Once I get more time I will have to double check

No, it remains 2d6 in the MIC in the summary on pg 238

Maat Mons
2021-02-09, 08:10 PM
Are the Mindarmor and Proof Against Enchantments armor abilities worth it? Anyone would eventually aim to have a Mind-Blank item. Does it make sense to put abilities that overlap with that on armor you'll be using forever?

Is the Mirror Image armor ability worth it? It's a powerful defensive buff. But it's a standard action. At high levels, would you use your standard action on your first turn for defense? Or would you get straight to killing things?

loky1109
2021-02-10, 12:40 AM
2d6 dmg extra dmg that doesn't profit from multipliers.

Are you sure in this?

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-10, 03:07 AM
Are you sure in this?

As far as I know, critical & charge multipliers target weapon damage and thus the extra damage dice are not part of em. (e.g. sneak attack, elemental weapon enhancements..).

e.g. Valorous Weapon:

When used in a charge, the valorous weapon deals double damage, much like a mounted warrior with the Spirited Charge feat.

Critical Hits:

Exception: Extra damage over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

As such, 2d6 ain't a good boost for the levels where you could effort the item. There are better options for most builds.

PrismCat21
2021-02-10, 07:10 PM
Don't forget the Euralden from The Mind's Eye article.

A euralden eye's gaze can harden flesh into bone within a 60-foot cone. Any living creature in the area must make a Fortitude save (DC 17) or take 1d6 points of Constitution damage as its flesh contracts and hardens. Any creature slain by a euralden eye's calcifying cone becomes a statue of bone and animates under its control within 1d4 rounds. Animated statues have the statistics of an animated object of their size, including hardness 6. At any one time, a euralden eye may control a number of bone statues whose total Hit Dice do not exceed its own. (For example, a 9-Hit Dice euralden eye could control a 7-Hit Dice statue, plus a 2-Hit Dice statue, but any other creatures beyond that are not controlled.) Any statues beyond this limit become inanimate. The save DC is Charisma-based.

animewatcha
2021-02-10, 08:56 PM
This has me wondering if if bone knight can be mixed in with Vassal of Bahamut. Normal Vassal of bahamut armor is done as light armor, but nothing says it can't be modded to be the next weight class in some way. Resulting armor being a mixture of scales and bone.

Darg
2021-02-11, 04:52 PM
This has me wondering if if bone knight can be mixed in with Vassal of Bahamut. Normal Vassal of bahamut armor is done as light armor, but nothing says it can't be modded to be the next weight class in some way. Resulting armor being a mixture of scales and bone.

I guess that would depend on how one interprets the "platinum" scale mail part. Is platinum scale male its own item or is it material variation of scale mail? I'm leaning toward the latter, but I can't see there being a problem with the prior either (mithril full plate is nearly as good and doesn't use up feats).