PDA

View Full Version : Eloquence Bard's Unfailing Inspiration should be core Bard Inspiration

Schwann145
2021-02-09, 04:27 AM
As new mechanics that work similarly to Inspiration or Battle dice are added to the game (Psi dice, for instance) they're kept on failures instead of expended. Seems to be the dev team agrees but is stuck with the "we're not changing core book stuff" rule.

Thoughts?

Pandamonium
2021-02-09, 04:48 AM
As new mechanics that work similarly to Inspiration or Battle dice are added to the game (Psi dice, for instance) they're kept on failures instead of expended. Seems to be the dev team agrees but is stuck with the "we're not changing core book stuff" rule.

Thoughts?

To be honest I agree that it is weird that newer dice mechanics allow you to keep them when the roll fails, period.
So I am kinda on the opposite side of the argument, "All new features should have the same spent is spent mechanics as older features"

But I see where you are coming from, it is odd that the soulknife who has 2*prof dice (4-12 uses) gets to keep them on fail but not a Bards inspiration (up to 5 uses) or a Battle Masters superiority dice (4-6 uses) who have fewer dice to spend. The effects of the latter two are more powerful (usable in combat and w. maneuvers) but still.

claypigeons
2021-02-09, 04:52 AM
I agree, and I've seen it as a common houserule previously, before it became an actual class ability. Now apparently it isn't fair to the new guys, even if no one is playing one. 🙄

Also, I believe the older sorcerer subclasses should get a spell list like Aberrant Mind and Clockwork Soul. Even if the spells couldn't be changed out, to keep the TCoE lists special, it would be a nice boost.

I know it happens, but I've never witnessed anyone play a sorcerer. I've only ever seen people play a multiclass that used metamagic and/or extra slots for smiting.

stoutstien
2021-02-09, 09:22 AM

Thoughts?

Hard to compare every dice pool mechanic in sweeping terms so let's take them one at a time.

Eloq barb. Level 6 they have a soft recycling of BI. Very nice but is it out of line compared to other the college's features at this level? We are looking at magic secret, command spam, and extra attack. The eloq bard also has a similar issue the lore bard has with a very good reason not to hand them out with unsettling word.

At 14 they get basically an extra number of BI equal to Cha modifier but only one per round due to reaction cost. Once again nice but is it out of line compared to the other strong bard options?

The SK is really the new option that stands out with multiple ways to use a dice pool that have built-in protection against wasting them.