PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #275 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Tomada
2006-02-03, 03:10 PM
Sorry to have started this Lilly, but I REALLY didn't know they were still worshipped.

I apologize for any who where in any way offended.

fwiffo
2006-02-03, 03:12 PM
Giant commented on the choice of deities already. Agree or disagree with his individual choices, here is his rationale

Linky (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1138637450 ;start=2#2)

Lightman
2006-02-03, 04:35 PM
The Fairy Modmother: Please no discussion of real-world religions. Since the pantheon that includes Thor and Odin is still a practiced religion, please keep all discussion of it relevent to what is presented in the comics.

Thank you
Didn't know that the Norse pantheon is still worshipped. Cool.

So, any news, Giant?

Sylian
2006-02-03, 04:55 PM
The Fairy Modmother: Please no discussion of real-world religions. Since the pantheon that includes Thor and Odin is still a practiced religion, please keep all discussion of it relevent to what is presented in the comics.

Thank you
As you wish.

About making the end of the latest comic funny, no, that would've spoiled the drama and just sound very sadistic.

Sanctu
2006-02-03, 05:00 PM
You know, I'd bet many would buy a t-shirt of the crayon snarl looking the the straight crayons lines surrounding it. I know I would.

:)

Have a good weekend, all.

Tariskat
2006-02-03, 05:16 PM
Sorry about the religious talks. We don't mean any harm. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, too. I don't try to! And yes, yes I would buy a shirt of a crayon Snarl. Isn't that kind of sick? In a good way? :D *It*'s cute, for a god killing Chaos born thingy.

;) better?

theKOT
2006-02-03, 05:26 PM
You know, I'd bet many would buy a t-shirt of the crayon snarl looking the the straight crayons lines surrounding it. I know I would.

:)

That sounds like a good pink floyd album cover. I wonder if the Giant could work something out?;)

Reaver225
2006-02-03, 06:07 PM
Incidentally, why is the Snarl a 'he'?

I mean, it has no obvious gender, and to my knowledge snarls beget other snarls...

Sylian
2006-02-03, 06:13 PM

I mean, it has no obvious gender, and to my knowledge snarls beget other snarls...
"He" is, IMO and probably many more, the best way of describing someone who hasn't his gender determinated. "It" sounds so downgrading.

fwiffo
2006-02-03, 06:15 PM

Yeah, and Snarl is purple, same as Vaarsuvius's hair. Coincidence? I think not!! 8)

Istielthia
2006-02-03, 06:17 PM
Although "he" is most often used as a male-gendered pronoun, it can also be used as neutral, when the gender of a person (or creature) is unknown.

Edited because I was thinking of articles and not pronouns.

Winged One
2006-02-03, 06:20 PM

Okay, I'll tell you. *casts Terrible Secret*

whitemane
2006-02-03, 06:29 PM

Well, in the comics it is never referred to as a "he"... it's always referred to as an "it".

I think it's just us viewers that decided to assign it a gender... (Just like V...)

ref
2006-02-03, 06:58 PM
Heh, the Sims reference was really obscure, it seems only I saw it ;D

What I was referring to is the fact that you can skip job in The Sims, but doing it two days in a row means you're fired.

Lao_Dragon_Ninja
2006-02-03, 07:14 PM
Thor kicked the world....wouldn't that cause tidal waves?

Hermes
2006-02-03, 07:23 PM
Probably. But I think that was before there were inhabitants. (At least, its before Shojo mentions them creating new worshippers.) So no harm, no foul.

Reaver225
2006-02-03, 08:41 PM
Well, in the comics it is never referred to as a "he"... it's always referred to as an "it".

I think it's just us viewers that decided to assign it a gender... (Just like V...)
Directly from the comic...

It did not understand the the patterns of the threads, even as it watched them take form around him.

Huh. I didn't see the extra 'the' in the comic earlier. Wow, every time I reread the comic, I notice something new! *rereads whole archive*

OmegaDonut
2006-02-03, 09:34 PM
Yeah, when you place a "the" after another "the", and the "the" shows up on the next line, it's something our brains easily miss. I remember reading something similar back in elementary school as part of a fun brain exercise; it took the class a while to figure out just what was wrong with the sentence.

;:) <-- Marduk winks at our confusion.

Bilbo27
2006-02-03, 09:37 PM
Not to be a stick in the mud Giant, but you did say the story continues tomorrow. I know I will get many hateful e-mails on this one. But I am waiting and waiting and the pressure is sooooo intense.

theKOT
2006-02-03, 10:26 PM
I just hope that the giant is alright.... He usually posts something by now....

Gefangnis
2006-02-03, 10:28 PM
I just hope nothing happened to the giant.

Edit: Beat me to it by seconds!

Dugray
2006-02-03, 10:29 PM
Strange, he did say it would be up this morning..

Starla
2006-02-03, 10:42 PM
Not to be a stick in the mud Giant, but you did say the story continues tomorrow. I know I will get many hateful e-mails on this one. But I am waiting and waiting and the pressure is sooooo intense.

Try being pregnant-in labor- and having to go to the bathroom and then you will know about pressure building. :P ::) ;)

Yes I have been checking too. But usually when the Giant doesn't make the self-imposed deadline he can't make it to the computer either so we just have to be patient or go do something else.

fwiffo
2006-02-03, 10:54 PM
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines" - Steve McCroskey, Airplane.

I think Spooky Wizard task proved to be a little more work than anticipated. And you really really don't want to disappoint a Spooky Wizard. So, shooting for 5 strips in a week might have been a little too ambitious when the Wizard is waiting.

At least I hope that is all that it is, and that Giant is doing OK.

Tomada
2006-02-03, 10:54 PM
Maybe the SPOOOOOOOKY Wizard held him captive until he finish his other work.

EDIT: HEH! We posted the same minute! Maybe it's the way the SPOOOKY Wizard has to tell us the Giant is held captive drawing or anything for then.

JoseB
2006-02-03, 11:00 PM
I just hope that the giant is alright.... He usually posts something by now....

Heh... He already posted, in page 13 of this very thread...

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

OK, folks, it looks like I will NOT be able to get the strip finished and posted by midnight. My other writing deadline this week so kicked my ass that I haven't even started scripting yet, and 5 hours is not really enough to get everything done.

There will be a comic probably by tomorrow morning, and what was going to be the Friday comic will show up on Saturday (when there wasn't originally going to be a new comic anymore). Monday, we should be back to normal schedule/art style.

Really, people, you should read the board more carefully before posting ;) ;) ;)

JoseB

Tomada
2006-02-03, 11:04 PM
Heh... He already posted, in page 13 of this very thread...

Really, people, you should read the board more carefully before posting ;) ;) ;)

JoseB

This was post on Thursday. So, he refferred to friday morning.

But ANYWAY, he already published 3 Comics this week. So it's alright.

Although it would be nice if he did as he expected to do.

EDIT: Corrected the weekdays. What was I thinking?

Ilaun_Undil
2006-02-03, 11:07 PM
The tomorrow morning that the giant was referring to is this morning. Thus this morning's being for tomorrow.
The predicament of Soon has finally entered. can't wait till The comic is up.

plommon
2006-02-03, 11:09 PM
:) Take your time mr. G.
I'm glad that you at all made this comic in the first place!

RBloom0566
2006-02-03, 11:38 PM
It unfortunately appears that CON was the Giant's dump stat. *L*

The Giant
2006-02-03, 11:46 PM
The comic IS coming today. I'm working on it now.

The short version: I finished my turnover for the Spooooky Wizard at 3:00 am and fell asleep after having been awake for 48 hours. I woke up at around 2:00 pm and started work on the comic. Unfortunately, this comic has more panels, more detailed art, and more text than any of the other crayon ones so far, and it took a long, long time. And fitting the text in has been a bitch.

I'm trying to get it up by midnight, but either way, it should be here soon.

nightfire8199
2006-02-03, 11:48 PM
yay! i am completely and utterly honored to post directly after the giant. *a tear of joy* :'(

so i cant wait for the new comic to be up!

theKOT
2006-02-03, 11:58 PM

The short version: I finished my turnover for the Spooooky Wizard at 3:00 am and fell asleep after having been awake for 48 hours. I woke up at around 2:00 pm and started work on the comic. Unfortunately, this comic has more panels, more detailed art, and more text than any of the other crayon ones so far, and it took a long, long time. And fitting the text in has been a bitch.

Long story short, this one has the most eye-candy and is longer? Oh yeah! Woot!
lessee, 48 hours awake, 11 hours asleep. Poor Giant!

Winged One
2006-02-03, 11:59 PM

As always, we can wait.

*re-reads*

:o Sweet merciful Chaos, 48 hours? Bloody wizards.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-02-04, 12:17 AM

Giant, I say this in the most pre-Superbowl, manly voice I can muster given the nature of the board, but have your girlfriend give you a big... hug, yeah hug for all the great work!

Looking forward to the comic with great anti...cipation.

Zantetsuken_Kokoro
2006-02-04, 12:25 AM
I hope the Norns show up. An Ah My Goddess crossover would totally rock. ;D

Caledonian
2006-02-04, 12:31 AM
The short version: I finished my turnover for the Spooooky Wizard at 3:00 am and fell asleep after having been awake for 48 hours.
I know there's nothing more obnoxious than unsolicited advice.

So I won't advise. I will instead share an anecdote.

My sophomore year in college, I stayed up for at least sixty hours on the last few days of Finals week - studying for exams, completing projects, packing up everything so I'd be ready to leave. Somewhere along the way, I put off getting something to drink. Then I became dehydrated. The more dehydrated I was, the more delirious I became. The more delirious I became, the harder it'd be for me to get some rest or ingest fluids.

They found me in the dorm room of the RA on the other side of the building from my own, filling his ice cube trays with pocket change. The doctors at the emergency room couldn't believe that I wasn't on drugs, so they ordered a tox screen. And another, when that one came back negative. And another. And another. And another. The whole time, they kept waking me up when I was drifting off to sleep because they wanted to evaluate my neurological condition on a regular basis. The IVs helped with the dehydration, but by that time I'd been up so long everything'd become one big hallucination. Y'know, the kind with invisible spiders crawling over your skin, and your favorite episode of The Simpsons playing on the television screen in the corner of the room that doesn't exist, and unspeakable entities looming just behind the air.

They decided that I must be developing meningitis, even though I didn't match the symptom profile. They had to knock me out for the spinal tap, which is probably a good thing, as I never would've gotten to sleep the way things were going. I slept for two days straight, had to endure a very annoying Psych eval. once I woke up, and had to fight off occasional visits by random nurses trying to convince me that the medications the doctors wanted to prescribe were just to help me sleep once I got home. (For the record, antipsychotics are not normally used as sleep medications. Nor are they particularly useful as prophylactics in cases of suspected psychotic breaks. Try explaining that to a doctor - then try explaining that to one who thinks you just might be schizophrenic. They tend not to listen so well, even to psychology students.)

Moral of the story: change belongs in pockets, or possibly Mason jars, not ice cube trays. Or something.

Sleffie
2006-02-04, 12:31 AM
Why did I think:

"I hope the nores show up. An A-ha crossover would totally rock."

And I don't believe A-Ha is even from norway.

Still, A-ha featuring in OotS would ofcourse totally rock, in the same way a boat rocks. Making me turn green and very disturbed. ;)

Grimblade
2006-02-04, 12:35 AM
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I hope no one has said this yet, but I was reading through the archives, and I discovered that this isn't the first time the Giant has drawn in crayon- check out #146. I doubt it means anything, since it was about the Giant at a convention, but you never know. Anyway, I love the strip, and I can't wait for the next comic, but don't work too hard Giant! It's no fun!

Deuce
2006-02-04, 12:36 AM
Why did I think:

"I hope the nores show up. An A-ha crossover would totally rock."

And I don't believe A-Ha is even from norway.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they are/were (not sure the band is still together).

RBloom0566
2006-02-04, 01:37 AM
CON might be his dump stat, but as we all know, Giants have incredible FORT saves!

48 hours without sleep? Ah, reminds me of my old marathon gaming days.

Istielthia
2006-02-04, 02:00 AM
Looking forward to the comic with great anti...cipation.

*throws toilet paper at you*

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-02-04, 02:12 AM
*throws toilet paper at you*

What? No toast? ;)

Istielthia
2006-02-04, 11:05 AM
What? No toast? ;)

Was trying to decide between toilet paper and toast, and in my sleepy frame of mind, toilet paper won. :P Probably should have yelled "Great Scott!" before that though.

Psymon
2006-02-04, 03:13 PM
Yay! Last post

(hey, if you can celebrate first post)