PDA

View Full Version : Converting

SpiderKoopa
2007-11-08, 12:07 AM
Ok, so I need some help from you GiantITP-forumite-sages, how would one go about converting a 2E character to 3.5? I'm just trying to figure out a good method, and so-far haven't really come up with one.

Please and thanks!
Spider

CASTLEMIKE
2007-11-08, 12:12 AM
It would probably help if you could describe the existing character.

SpiderKoopa
2007-11-08, 12:14 AM
Well, I meant just a general method. Mostly for dual-classed, or multi-classed characters.:smallsmile:

Zincorium
2007-11-08, 12:21 AM
The best method, in truth? Take your race and scores and rebuild your class in a way that works both mechanically and story wise. The multi/dual-classes that cannot be made workable via regular 3.x multiclassing, such as spellcasters, can generally be made to function using one of the dual-function prestige classes available in the DMG or online SRD, such as the mystic theurge or eldritch knight. Given how flexible third edition is, there is absolutely no reason to gimp yourself for a choice made in a different era.

Especially considering that most current feats had no analogue back then (specialization is one of the few exceptions) and the skill system has changed radically, you'd have to make up the vast majority of details from scratch no matter how you went about it.

There used to, back at the dawn of 3rd ed, be a booklet that described the basics of conversion between the editions, but it really kind of sucked.

tyckspoon
2007-11-08, 12:21 AM
There isn't one, really. I believe Wizards tried to create a method, but it didn't work so well. Conversion between un-similar systems (despite having the same name, D&D 2nd and D&D 3.5 don't have all that much in common) is more art than science. The best way to go about it that I know of is to take stock of the character's themes and abilities and then find the 3.5 classes, spells, items, and feats that most closely match. Some of them will be stronger than the 2nd Ed version. Some will be weaker. Some won't exist any more. It's just how conversions go.

Jack Zander
2007-11-08, 01:38 AM
They also won't post any conversion methods from 3.5 to 4.0. That sounds silly to me since 4.0 and 3.5 sound really similar to me. Much more so than 2.0 to 3.0 anyway.

Temp
2007-11-08, 01:54 AM
They also won't post any conversion methods from 3.5 to 4.0. That sounds silly to me since 4.0 and 3.5 sound really similar to me. Much more so than 2.0 to 3.0 anyway. It really shouldn't; they're different games.

The numbering system really means nothing.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-11-08, 01:58 AM
Well, I meant just a general method. Mostly for dual-classed, or multi-classed characters.:smallsmile:

No real single best way IMO. It would still help if you gave an example of the PC or PCs because you would probably receive a lot of different takes on some of the ways it could be done using the various source books.

There is always the variant gestalt rules for a fall back with dual classed PCs and multiclassed PCs would mostly be a matter of opinion for some classes.

tyckspoon
2007-11-08, 02:00 AM
Star Wars Saga Edition is the closest thing we have to a fully detailed 4E preview at the moment, so I would look at it this way: If you can easily convert a 3.5 character to a Saga analogue, you can probably make the conversion to 4E. If you can't, well, we don't really know how the Saga system will be altered to make it better fit D&D fantasy (although Star Wars is kind of space fantasy anyway, so it might not be that different..) so maybe it'll be more accommodating. I wouldn't bet on it.

jamroar
2007-11-08, 02:10 AM

Rebuild to qualify for the multi progression prestige classes for a rough equivalent of the common caster multiclasses.

Fighter/Mage -> Eldritch Knight
Mage/Cleric -> Mystic Theurge
Rogue/Mage -> Arcane Trickster

Jack Zander
2007-11-08, 03:34 AM
It really shouldn't; they're different games.

The numbering system really means nothing.

I meant by what they've told us so far about the games. It's extremely easy to convert a DnD character over into the Star Wars Saga Roleplaying game. It's almost the same system with a different way to do saving throws, skills, class abilities, and magic. Note that most of these are the same anyway, they are just gained differently. The basics behind the game are exactly similar. Most of the changes were done simply to streamline play.

But 4.0 DnD will be more different, with 30 levels and race playing a larger role into your character. Different enough to be unconvertible? Hey, it can't be worse than THAC0...

MrNexx
2007-11-08, 07:25 PM
Ok, so I need some help from you GiantITP-forumite-sages, how would one go about converting a 2E character to 3.5? I'm just trying to figure out a good method, and so-far haven't really come up with one.

Please and thanks!
Spider

Send me an e-mail. I have a PDF of the free conversion manual they released with the advent of 3e.

Matthew
2007-11-08, 07:50 PM
It's still available to download from the Official D&D Game Rule FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/faq) page, for some reason.

If you post the Character(s) up, we can help you convert them. Should actually be reasonably easy.

SpiderKoopa
2007-11-08, 10:15 PM
Alrighty then, some examples I have are a dual-classed barbarian12 (homebrewed 3.5 barb into 2E rules) cleric6, a dual classed cleric13/necromancer 14, oh and my craziest one would be a fighter9/cleric14/wizard18 (yes, I did roll that well:smallcool: ).

Zincorium
2007-11-08, 10:32 PM
Alrighty then, some examples I have are a dual-classed barbarian12 (homebrewed 3.5 barb into 2E rules) cleric6, a dual classed cleric13/necromancer 14, oh and my craziest one would be a fighter9/cleric14/wizard18 (yes, I did roll that well:smallcool: ).

Really, there wouldn't be any difference between dual-classed and 3.x multiclassed characters there. Barbarian 12/cleric 6, cleric 13/wizard (necromancer specialty) 13, and fighter 9/cleric 14/wizard 18 would be valid builds, realizing that the last two would require the use of the epic rules.

Now, if you want to represent the characters as existing alongside other, single classed characters of the same experience level, you run into a problem. Given it's huge restrictions, dual-classing in 2nd ed rewarded a well-built character quite heavily. Reducing the levels to an equivalent point would be a good bet, or you could make the 2nd one say, a cleric 3/wizard 3/mystic theurge 10 for a lower overall level with the same casting ability.

Either way, why in the heck did you have so many dual-class characters that need conversion? That was supposed to be one of the rarer character options back then.

Rad
2007-11-09, 04:16 AM
For the first one Barbarian3/Cleric 3/War priest X might be a good conversion. You can shift the initial levels as you like as long as you have at least 1 level in cleric and not more than 4. Barb3/Clr3/WP6 is level 12 and casts as a 6th level cleric; which was probably the most notable feature. You need Combat Casting, some skills and to pick one of the "martial" domaind described in the PrC.

I'll think about the other ones.

Matthew
2007-11-09, 08:05 AM

That's pretty crazy:

Barbarian 12/Cleric 6
Cleric 13/Necromancer 14
Fighter 9/Cleric 14/Wizard 18

Not sure what you really want here. If it's just a case of stacking up these Classes, then Zincorium is right, just use the 3e Multi Class Rules and go epic.

SpiderKoopa
2007-11-09, 10:16 PM
*Snip...*Either way, why in the heck did you have so many dual-class characters that need conversion? That was supposed to be one of the rarer character options back then.

Three of my D6's are unto tiny rolling gods. After a certain cleric I made (rolled in front of DM and entire group and had 3 18's, a 17, a 16, and a 14) they were put into seperate containers and are now mounted on my dressor, retired. :smallbiggrin:

We almost thought they were weighted, but when we tried every test we could think of, it proved they weren't.

Edit: Oh, also I just want them updated for my own personal reasons, not really for any campaigns. More sentimental/use-them-as-npc reasons.