PDA

View Full Version : Character Wish List

Grey Watcher
2007-11-08, 12:50 AM
Got an idea for a character you want to play, but no game to put him or her in? This is the thread to talk about all such characters.

For example, I don't know why, but as I was driving somewhere, something about the new Total Access (read: handicapped acceessible) machines at the gym got me to thinking about a d20 Modern character idea. But rather than be the stereotypical professor/psion/thinky-guy who's great at planning and not much good at anything else, I wanted a more action-oriented character. After trying to figure out how to build it with at least a modicum of plausibility (Joe Swanson is fine, but not quite what I was looking for), I settled on a sniper. Don't know why, but the idea of playing a wheelchair bound crack shot appeals to me.

So, what sort of wacky, off-the-wall builds are you just itching to try out?

horseboy
2007-11-08, 12:58 AM
Hang on, let me first dispel my visions of that tv show Mantis.

I've been feeling like playing something AWFULLY sappy. Like Silverbolt sappy. Haven't put my finger on exactly what/how to express said character yet.

MisterSaturnine
2007-11-08, 01:03 AM
I have a few wants on my wish list. I have to make it brief, but here it is.

I want to play a Psion (Seer) who's blind.

I want to play a Dex-based, unarmored, Psychic Warrior gunslinger.

And I want to play a Warblade/Wizard/Eldritch Knight (Krimm_Blackleaf's Martial Variant).

This might be difficult as I've played a total of one time...with a first-time DMer...for about an hour. And that was many, many months ago. :smallfrown:

Darkxarth
2007-11-08, 01:04 AM
I've got a really cool Evil Halfling Sorcerer named Periadoc Baggee that I built for Serpent Stare on these boards for her game that I would love to play some time. He's got a Quasit Familiar (named Elltil Hctib), he rides an Onyx Dog (Gipper). He's also a Necromancer (or at least as much as a Sorcerer can be) and has a host of Skeletons ready to be raised at a moment's notice, black onyx stones included.

I've also got a character from a d20 Modern game that never got off the ground that I would enjoy playing. He's a typical tough guy who carries a shotgun and has a chainsaw in place of one of his hands. It was a post-apocalyptic game.

Pironious
2007-11-08, 01:14 AM
I want to try my hand at an arcane caster. (I've never done it before, sue me :P)

I was thinking a sorcerer with the metamagic focus variant (why wouldn't you?), planning on going into the initiate of the seven veils PrC.

Dalboz of Gurth
2007-11-08, 01:27 AM
Few people let me play my blue dragon: Streak.

He's a hatchling. Pretty cool, but somewhat weak. He has to be in human form a lot just to move around and avoid poachers.

At most he's as strong as a 3rd level fighter.

But people seem to say : A DRAGON PC NO WAY THAT BLOWS MY MIND, MAN!

so I just shrug, and use Streak as an NPC for the majority of the time ^_^

Basically the moral is - keep your mind open as a DM and review the characters before you dismiss them. Some special characters really aren't that strong, and are kinda fun to play with :D

Fishy
2007-11-08, 02:29 AM
I have this urge to play a Psion (Shaper) with huge ranks in Craft(Sculpting) and Knowledge(religion), who manifests her astral constructs in the form of angels and saints- either because she honestly believes her powers are divine in origin, or because she's trying to fool everyone else.

Also, an Animal Companion variant Bard, who takes the Elemental Companion feat, and therefore has a magic flute that commands the winds.

Also, a 'Paladin' that's actually a sword-and-board TWF Ranger with a warhorse animal companion and the Healing Hands skill trick.

Also, a Jekyl-and-Hyde Wilder/Barbarian who accidentally removed his superego from his body and implanted it in a psicrystal.

Also, a Druid who worships Fharlanghn, and is less of a hippie/tree hugger and more of a sherpa/guide for hire.

Also, a Monk/Dragonfire Adept/Disciple of the Eye who wins brawls through Intimidation and nonlethal damage, and has a pair of silver gauntlets that look curiously like scaly dragon claws.

Okay, I'll stop now.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-08, 02:45 AM
I wanna play a monk who doesn't suck. :smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2007-11-08, 03:02 AM
I want to play a dwarf paladin/Hammer of Moradin (using Fax's mantle paladin) who is basically a living APC. He gets insane boosts to his AC using the mantles, and his pals benefit from that as well. That, and the huge DR/- he gets from the Hammer class.

Lord Iames> Does your avatar make you post three times faster?!?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-08, 03:04 AM
Yes, it most certainly does. Have a "Casval Rem Deikun" point. :smallcool:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-08, 03:06 AM
For example, I don't know why, but as I was driving somewhere, something about the new Total Access (read: handicapped acceessible) machines at the gym got me to thinking about a d20 Modern character idea. But rather than be the stereotypical professor/psion/thinky-guy who's great at planning and not much good at anything else, I wanted a more action-oriented character. After trying to figure out how to build it with at least a modicum of plausibility (Joe Swanson is fine, but not quite what I was looking for), I settled on a sniper. Don't know why, but the idea of playing a wheelchair bound crack shot appeals to me.
There was a boss like that in Metal Gear Solid 3. Codename: The End, 132 years old, spends most of his time off the job napping in a wheelchair. Of course that's just to save strength...old bastard's actually pretty fast on his feet when he wakes up.

As for characters I want to play...really, just something as simple as a Psychic Warrior. It's a part of D&D I've missed playing with so far in my career. A Nomad Psion would also be fun.

A version of Kamina from Gurren-Lagann would also be fun, however, that's mostly just for his lines, and I can already steal those with the second character in my sig quite handily.

The VP
2007-11-08, 04:28 AM
As I'm currently DMing, I get to play any character I want, but only for short amounts of time as the players tend to kill them.

As a player, I've recently thought about playing a bard or factotum, but wouldn't mind playing any sort of skill monkey. My two most recent games I played a elven warmage and a dwarven CN pallie (dubbed 'Pimpy McDwarf' as he was the only male character in an otherwise all-female party) who primarily tanked so want to do something other than blast things or hit them in the face with big sticks.

RMS Oceanic
2007-11-08, 05:06 AM
I want to play a Gestalt Paladin of Heironeous//Cloistered Cleric of Heironeous with the Serenity Feat, so I can pump my Wisdom through the roof, and be a great frontline fighter/divine caster. I'd also dump a 4th level Cleric spell to get the healing pool from Complete Champion, meaning my Lay on Hands pool just doubled. I think of it in that you'll get more out of that healing pool than Cure Critical Wounds.

serow
2007-11-08, 08:30 AM
I want to play a Dex-based, unarmored, Psychic Warrior gunslinger.This, and your avatar, are teh awes0mez!

daggaz
2007-11-08, 08:38 AM
I always wanted to play an ogre berserker who wields a spiked ball and chain. That is, its like a spiked chain, but theres a great big ball on the end that does more damage and can knock opponents back. (there was a thread in here somewhere about this weapon). But ogres have a disgusting amount of RHD and LA, so meh... I'm going to have to just wait till my players get high enough level to fight him, then I can play him! =)

ocato
2007-11-08, 08:43 AM
Someone was talking about the Lady's Gambit feat from dragon magazine a while back, and it refreshed my desire to play this bloody stigmata (for lack of a better term) knight I thought of a while back who manifests wounds on his own body to gain strength in combat, and the more he fights and gets hurt, the stronger he becomes. Lady's Gambit and the Crusader class (thank you, tome of battle) make this idea suddenly very feasible.

I also had an idea for a Paladin/Monk with ascetic knight who used two weapon fighting, leap attack, two weapon pounce, and flying kick to double leap attack with a greatsword and a kick. The character would require obscene stats all around, but would solve his problems when he could by taking off his armor and dropping his weapon, then challenging the poor, stupid enemy to a "gentleman's resolution" of unarmed combat. If the poor sap agreed, he'd be boxing a monk, which typically ends poorly.

Actually, I also had an idea a while back for a rogue/scout mix (pretty standard) who trained under a martial adept at higher levels and picked up two shadow hand techniques, making him the world's best (and actually good, more of a save the people from villains than a pay me to kill some jerk) assassin, with an obscene amount of precision damage per short sword (I think it came out to 20d6 per weapon before damage, strength, magical bonuses, etc). He would use either a wand or the shadow hand boost to get invisibility and then two weapon pounce. He'd fillet his mark and be gone before anyone was the wiser.

I wouldn't mind trying a gitp style wizard (shun evocation for the save-or-suck stuff and pretty much play like a paranoid jerk instead of the fireball slinging nutball my party usually sees in its casters) but that's a big 'eh' now.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-08, 09:17 AM
Most of the characters I've made that I really want to play have ended up cameo NPC's in the games I run at one point or another. There are a few that I haven't figured out a way to work into my games though:

An arabian style paladin. Robes, turbin, scimitar and a celestial camel.

CE beguiler assassian

Kobold Sorceress focusing on evocation

Halfing rogue/cleric of a god of thieves

elliott20
2007-11-08, 09:20 AM
I want to play villains. If I ever get the chance I want to play fallen templar knight who instead of wanting to maintain peace between the two warring worlds, seeks to prolong it indefinitely.

Alex12
2007-11-08, 09:26 AM
Lawful good Mind Flayer Rogue in a psionic game.
"Hah, what can a Rogue do against undead/flying enemies?!"
"This." *some Energy power*

Callos_DeTerran
2007-11-08, 09:53 AM
I've always wanted to play a...mad scientist type...Something like a wizard/fleshgrafter/cancer mage. Someone you look at...and you just know that theres something wrong with that man, and that you should avoid him at any cost.

Karsh
2007-11-08, 10:03 AM
Hm....

<----- This guy.

Epic Faerunian Half-Fey Elven Ranger/Dervish/Shadowdancer (Updated by ToB to Ranger/Fighter/Swordsage/Dervish/Eternal Blade). His backstory is ten pages long. Game died before it began.

brian c
2007-11-08, 10:28 AM
A blaster Sorcerer, William Entwistle Framingham III. Or as his friends call him, Bang Bang Bill. Metamagic Sorcerer/Elemental Savant/Incantrix (maybe)

Saph
2007-11-08, 10:58 AM
A really big and tough paladin/sorcerer/Abjurant Champion. I've statted him out so that he's not all that powerful, but incredibly hard to hurt or kill. High Charisma but not all that bright.

I want him to take the Draconic Familiar feat at level 12, from the Draconomicon, so that he can get a silver or gold female wyrmling familiar. The wyrmling'll spend most of her time in human form, looking like a girl of 10 or so, and she'll ride on his shoulder.

The idea is to copy Kenpachi Zaraki and Yachiru Kusajishi from the 11th Division in Bleach. :) (The huge guy with the spiky hair and the little pink-haired girl who rides on his shoulder and gives him directions.) I think I could get away with it in my group as no-one watches the show. Maybe the hairstyles would be going a bit far, though . . .

- Saph

Shishnarfne
2007-11-08, 11:34 AM
Well, I had this idea about a dual-wielding Wilder who picked up Psionic Lion's Charge via Expanded knowledge... Not especially effective, but it was an interesting idea to me.

A Mind Flayer Psi Warrior who focuses on grappling... (preferably trade telepath powers for egotist).

Just a few things through my mind after reading my XPH.

MCerberus
2007-11-08, 11:42 AM
A really big and tough paladin/sorcerer/Abjurant Champion. I've statted him out so that he's not all that powerful, but incredibly hard to hurt or kill. High Charisma but not all that bright.

I want him to take the Draconic Familiar feat at level 12, from the Draconomicon, so that he can get a silver or gold female wyrmling familiar. The wyrmling'll spend most of her time in human form, looking like a girl of 10 or so, and she'll ride on his shoulder.

The idea is to copy Kenpachi Zaraki and Yachiru Kusajishi from the 11th Division in Bleach. :) (The huge guy with the spiky hair and the little pink-haired girl who rides on his shoulder and gives him directions.) I think I could get away with it in my group as no-one watches the show. Maybe the hairstyles would be going a bit far, though . . .

- Saph

Ooh name him "Mister Bubbles"(Name that the Little Sisters called Big Daddy enemies from Bioshock that protected crazy corpse harvesting children).

I've been wanting to get my Thog on for a while.

skywalker
2007-11-08, 02:24 PM
Damn it, somebody already brought up MGS 3 and The Red Comet.

I've always wanted to play what I consider the perfect Cthulhu investigator:

Completely blind, blindfight feat, maxed listen scores, shoots anything whose sound he doesn't recognize as human.

Another character I've always wanted to play: The cunning wizard(yes, it's common, sue me). I'm not that type of person so I always wind up playing a character more like me, to date I've played: A paladin, a cleric of Kord, a barbarian, and a duskblade.

Artanis
2007-11-08, 02:38 PM
I have a few I've been wanting to try.

The first is a Changeling Warmage/Recaster. Because what better way to blow stuff up than to blow up everything and leave little pockets of "safe" for your buddies? Plus, being able to get Speak With Dead would be the ultimate flavor spell for a Warmage.

The second is a Warforged Monk/Psionic Fist, mostly because I'm curious as to how well Battlefist+Expansion+Psionic Lion's Charge+Flurry of Blows would actually work in practice.

Finally, a Changeling Rogue who's the child of a Silver Dragon (at least, I think a Changeling/Dragon mating wouldn't actually produce a half-dragon), because having a dad who shapeshifts all the time and literally sleeps on money is just too perfect a Changeling Rogue background to pass up.

...and I assure you, the fact that all three are Eberron races is a complete coincidence.

-Cor-
2007-11-08, 03:31 PM
I've always wanted to play a Cavalier. Be a real knight. Take Leadership and have a squire who is basically you as a fighter two levels ago who tends to the mount, but relies on you for education, protection, etc...

So many cool story ideas come to mind with this guy.

There are also lots of cool things in the A&E Guide and the MIC for mounted combat fighters.

Too bad 98% of DnD scenarios completely and utterly negate this character unless it was a halfling with a dog.

Jannex
2007-11-08, 04:05 PM
For a while now, I've been wanting to play a gestalt Bard//Paladin (using Devoted Performer to make the combination possible) of Bahamut. Here's the thought process that spawned this idea:

I wouldn't mind giving Paladins a try; I think it'd be a fun class to roleplay. But oooh, they have crap for skills, and I can't live without at least 6+Int... Aha! Gestalt is the answer. I'll cross it with Bard. Decent skill points, and the ridiculous Charisma that a Bard wants is fun for Divine Grace. Who says Paladins have to be heavily-armored Power Attacking machines with greatswords, anyway? This'll be fun. She'll inspire people through words AND deeds. So, what deity? Most of the LG ones annoy me... Ah, Bahamut! He's not annoying, and dragons are awesome. It'll also mean I can do something interesting with dragons in her backstory--not ancestrally or anything; she's standard human--but culturally. And now personality details are starting to come together in my mind... Dang it, somebody run a gestalt game!

Alex12
2007-11-08, 04:22 PM
Damn it, somebody already brought up MGS 3 and The Red Comet.

I've always wanted to play what I consider the perfect Cthulhu investigator:

Completely blind, blindfight feat, maxed listen scores, shoots anything whose sound he doesn't recognize as human.
You:"What's that?!" *shoots*
-later
Child:"Mister, have you seen my puppy? He ran away and now I can't find him anywhere."
Might not have much impact on gameplay, but you'll feel horrible.

mikeejimbo
2007-11-08, 04:47 PM
I've always wanted to play an anti-Drizz't.

Lawful Evil Drow who hates all the rest of the elves, especially Chaotic Good Drow.

He would be a Ranger, with Favored Enemy (Elf). I don't know if he'd do TWF or the Bow track.... I'd really like to focus on the magic actually, just to be contrary. Is it feasible to play a Ranger as a dedicated caster? Any feats that might help?

Artanis
2007-11-08, 04:53 PM
You:"What's that?!" *shoots*
-later
Child:"Mister, have you seen my puppy? He ran away and now I can't find him anywhere."
Might not have much impact on gameplay, but you'll feel horrible.
Obviously, the puppy was just a (literally) Lovecraftian nightmare-in-training :smalltongue:

malusmalus
2007-11-08, 07:35 PM
Let's see . . .

Female half-elf rogue. Basically a highwayman (highwaywoman?), with enough charisma to get along in towns for brief periods of time without raising too much suspicion. Also has a backstory that makes her sort of a Freud textbook (see: mommy and daddy issues) -- I've always wanted to play a rogue that actually had a really confused and pathological relationship with authority, rather than just a casual disregard for it. Haven't played this one yet, as I usually end up playing much more stable personalities and leaving the crazies to the members of my group who don't seem capable of playing anything else. :smallsigh: Cursed by my own love of party cohesion.

Prometheus
2007-11-08, 07:51 PM
A humble firefighter who expands his role as a protector and rescuer to a whole host of natural disasters. His one downfall is that he will never voluntarily kill - somewhat like Superman.

A fameous bounty hunter against the supernatural who forces himself to see life from a different light when he is permanently polymorphed into a rabbit.

A common man who is turned into a paladin to a man that combats injustice when his former best friend goes insane and is convinced he should be the nemesis of the PC.

A monstrous half-mole humanoid cleric determined to be more civilized than any breed of humanity