PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Blood Raven (Diablo II)

rferries
2021-02-10, 03:09 AM
https://i.imgur.com/LmM74iE.jpg

"My Rogue scouts have just reported an abomination in the Monastery graveyard! Apparently, Andariel is not content to take only our living. Blood Raven, one of our finest captains in the battle against Diablo at Tristram, was also one of the first to be corrupted by Andariel. Now, you'll find her in the Monastery graveyard raising our dead as zombies! We cannot abide this defilement! If you are truly our ally, you will help us destroy her." - Kashya

"Join my army of the undead..." - Blood Raven

Blood Raven
Medium undead, chaotic evil
Armour Class 19 (studded leather, unholy grace)
Hit Points 45 (7d8+14)
Speed 40 ft.

STR

DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

12 (+1)
18 (+4)
14 (+2)
12 (+1)
12 (+1)
16 (+3)

Saving Throws Str +4, Dex +10, Con +5, Int +7, Wis +4, Cha +6 (unholy grace)
Skills Acrobatics +7, Intimidation +6, Perception +4
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren't silvered
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities paralysed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Abyssal, Common, Infernal
Challenge 7 (2,900)
Death Throes. When Blood Raven dies, her spirit is freed at last and releases bolts of eldritch power, and each undead creature she controls within 300 feet must make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw, taking 42 (12d6) radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. As a parting gesture, the grateful spirit also opens the tombs in the Burial Grounds containing her treasures.

Infernal Weapons. Blood Raven’s weapon attacks are magical and deal an extra 4 (1d8) fire damage on a hit (included in the attacks).

Legendary Resistance (1/Day). If Blood Raven fails a saving throw, she can choose to succeed instead.

Reactive. Blood Raven can take one reaction on every turn in combat.

Unholy Grace. Blood Raven's AC and saving throws include her Charisma modifier.

Actions
Multiattack. Blood Raven makes two longbow attacks.

Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) fire damage.

Reactions
Uncanny Dodge. When an attacker that Blood Raven can see hits her with an attack, she can use her reaction to halve the attack's damage against her.

Legendary Actions
Blood Raven can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Blood Raven regains spent legendary actions at the start of her turn.

Attack. Blood Raven makes a longbow attack.

Detect. Blood Raven makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.

Intimidate. Blood Raven makes a Charisma (Intimidation) check contested by the Wisdom (Insight) check of a target within 30 feet of her. If her check succeeds, the target is frightened until the end of its next turn. If her check fails, the target can't be frightened by her in this way for 1 hour.

Move. Blood Raven moves up to her speed without provoking opportunity attacks.

Animate Zombie (Costs 2 Actions). Blood Raven animates a random corpse within 100 feet as a zombie that immediately begins to attack her enemies.

Lair Actions
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Blood Raven takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; she can't use the same effect two rounds in a row:

1d4 zombies rise from random tombs within 100 feet of Blood Raven and immediately begin to attack her enemies.
Blood Raven teleports to a point see can see within 100 feet.
The corpses of the Amazons that refused to join Blood Raven start to writhe and wail from where they hang from the branches of Blood Raven's tree. Blood Raven makes Charisma (Intimidation) checks with advantage until the next time she uses a lair action.

Regional Effects
Blood Raven's lair is the Burial Grounds, a cemetery found off of the Cold Plains. The region containing her lair is warped by her magic, which creates one or more of the following effects:

The land seems perpetually dim and gloomy, even during the day.
Corpses rise as zombies and skeletons after 1d10 days, even if buried.
Minor fiends and monsters (such as Bloodhawks, Fallen and Goatmen) are drawn to the area (or formed from natural creatures corrupted by Blood Raven's presence).

Twelvetrees
2021-02-10, 07:09 PM
I'm amazed at how much staying power Blood Raven has, given that she only has 26 hit points. Here's my assessment of her challenge rating.

Defensive Challenge Rating: 7 (or 4 if the party has magic weapons)

Between high AC, good bonuses to every single saving throw, resistance to nonmagical attacks, and the ability to Uncanny Dodge on every single turn, Blood Raven can take a lot of hits and keep on going.

Offensive Challenge Rating: 10

Her standard Multiattack would put her at challenge rating 4, but if she uses all of her legendary actions to fire her bow as well, she ends up doing comparable damage to a challenge rating 10 creature.

Overall Challenge Rating: 8 or 9. 7 if the party has magic weapons

I should note that her Intimidate legendary action has no mechanical effect at the moment. 5e doesn't have generalized uses for social skills in combat.

rferries
2021-02-10, 10:53 PM
I'm amazed at how much staying power Blood Raven has, given that she only has 26 hit points. Here's my assessment of her challenge rating.

Defensive Challenge Rating: 7 (or 4 if the party has magic weapons)

Between high AC, good bonuses to every single saving throw, resistance to nonmagical attacks, and the ability to Uncanny Dodge on every single turn, Blood Raven can take a lot of hits and keep on going.

Offensive Challenge Rating: 10

Her standard Multiattack would put her at challenge rating 4, but if she uses all of her legendary actions to fire her bow as well, she ends up doing comparable damage to a challenge rating 10 creature.

Overall Challenge Rating: 8 or 9. 7 if the party has magic weapons

I should note that her Intimidate legendary action has no mechanical effect at the moment. 5e doesn't have generalized uses for social skills in combat.

Many thanks! I've bumped her up to CR 7, increased her HD a bit, and fleshed out the Intimidate action.

Twelvetrees
2021-02-11, 12:22 AM
With the increased hit points, I'd put her defensive challenge rating at a solid 8 now, bringing my overall assessment of her challenge rating up to a 9.

If the DM isn't going all out with using every single one of her legendary actions to attack with her bow, 7 is likely closer to the reality of how difficult she would be to face.