PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Dragon Age 3.X

liquidformat
2021-02-10, 11:44 AM
So yes I know there is already a Dragon Age RPG but I dislike the system and how it works so I was thinking about how to set it as a world for 3.X world. Some things seem pretty straight forward some will be a headache.
Here is what I have so far feel free to add in suggestions:

Classes: there are supposed to be 'three classes' Mage, Rogue, and Warrior with a number of PRCs. I think simply creating a list of available classes would work fine here.

Diving Magic: no divine magic so scrapping all divine classes. possibly creating a PRC that grants healing spells.

Templars: Mage Slayer line of feats and Occult Slayer seems like an ok start but could use more here

Grey Wardens: +0 template? also reskin Aglarondan Griffonrider to be a Grey Warden PRC

Arcane Magic: I think class, spell, and PRC restrictions are probably needed this is probably the most complicated thing. Possibly limiting to sorcerer, artificer/magewright (tranquil NPC only class?), and maybe warlock only with restricted sorcerer spell list

Potions: Potions are very important more or less taking the role of healers and a decent amount of buffing

The Mabari Hound: on the fence between Elven Hound or Magebred Riding Dog (trained for war)

Dragons: Either use the Eberron alternative to use martial initiator or the Draconomicon version to remove spell casting

Qunari: Human Half-Minotaur (Drag 313)

Blood Magic: Blood Magus and Acolyte of the Skin seem like a good start but I think there should be more options here also maybe use corruption system or something to go along with blood magic

Darkspawn: scratching my head here undead seems like it might work for them but not quite they seem like a mix between undead, goblins, orcs, and ogres/trolls

Abominations: how to handle the potentially corrupting influence of magic

Demons/Spirits: refluff, no distinction between demons, devils, or other fiends they all fall under the heading of 'Demon' and are focused around different emotions and traits.

The Fade: Ethereal Plane?

Roninblack
2021-02-10, 06:46 PM
Taint from heroes of horror may fit your corruption system for blood magic

Fizban
2021-02-11, 02:49 AM
Rather than using the phrase "restricted spell list," I would recommend you just write the spell list. And dump the "sorcerer's spells known" table, which itself is a farce that exists solely to make them worse than wizards. Make your arcanist class the same as the wizard was, same as the psion: a handfull of 1st level spells (and handfull of 0ths), +2 spells known at every level up (and a free 0th say, every other level), access to spells at level*2-1 like they're supposed to be, and a spell list which includes only the spells which actually fit in the setting.

liquidformat
2021-02-11, 01:18 PM
Rather than using the phrase "restricted spell list," I would recommend you just write the spell list. And dump the "sorcerer's spells known" table, which itself is a farce that exists solely to make them worse than wizards. Make your arcanist class the same as the wizard was, same as the psion: a handfull of 1st level spells (and handfull of 0ths), +2 spells known at every level up (and a free 0th say, every other level), access to spells at level*2-1 like they're supposed to be, and a spell list which includes only the spells which actually fit in the setting.

I was thinking of only allowing warlock and warmage, they both seem to fit the setting pretty well. I have been starting to mess around with things here is what I have so far Dragon Age Setting (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1taU5UBBffn5I2DFI8fFjDOm8wWr4Ps-AyFK12dYRWpM/edit?usp=sharing)