PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for PrC w/ divine casting and SA

RNightstalker
2021-02-10, 01:26 PM
I'm essentially looking for a divine version of the Arcane Trickster from the DMG. If all else fails, I may ask my DM to literally swap out the arcane for divine if nothing else can be found, but I do want to at least recruit help from the playground as my efforts have been fruitless so far.

Zombulian
2021-02-10, 01:34 PM
Well you could always just be a cloistered cleric with the right domain choices and the Sacred Outlaw feat.

Doctor Despair
2021-02-10, 02:01 PM
Technically Mythic Exemplar would do it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-02-10, 02:24 PM
Daggerspell Shaper if you've got wild shape.

Maybe do an adaptation of Unseen Seer?

Doctor Despair
2021-02-10, 02:30 PM
If we're allowing more prerequisites, Shadowbane Stalker does both too.

Technically Chameleon does both too, although it isn't really progression in the same sense.

Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster can progress it if you get at least one level in a class that has sneak attack and divine spellcasting.

schreier
2021-02-10, 02:46 PM
Good resource is the lists of stuff - you can check out sneak attack... Shadowbane stalker and dagger spell shaper are the two I see, although you can pick up assassin's stance as an option

schreier
2021-02-10, 03:04 PM
Good resource is the lists of stuff - you can check out sneak attack... Shadowbane stalker and dagger spell shaper are the two I see, although you can pick up assassin's stance as an option

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?454553

Biggus
2021-02-10, 10:17 PM
The Giant did one: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=9623145&postcount=7

Rebel7284
2021-02-10, 10:31 PM
Arcane Trickster can advance divine casting just fine. You may need to jump through some hoops to get the third level arcane spells, but Greater Anyspell should work just fine. Is there a domain that gives Mage Hand? If not, you can talk about whether that item that gives mage hand at will and an extra ring slot can qualify OR just preparing Mage Hand with Anyspell.

Doctor Despair
2021-02-10, 10:39 PM
Arcane Trickster can advance divine casting just fine. You may need to jump through some hoops to get the third level arcane spells, but Greater Anyspell should work just fine. Is there a domain that gives Mage Hand? If not, you can talk about whether that item that gives mage hand at will and an extra ring slot can qualify OR just preparing Mage Hand with Anyspell.

One-level dip into an Arcane class with Precocious Apprentice and Sanctum Spell would do it.

Alternatively, take a class like Dread Necromancer with Heighten Spell, Versatile Spellcaster, and Sanctum Spell. You get all dread necromancer level 1s and 2s, you get access to Versatile Spellcaster for your divine casting, you qualify as casting arcane thirds, and you get rebuke undead.

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-11, 12:34 AM
I'm essentially looking for a divine version of the Arcane Trickster from the DMG. If all else fails, I may ask my DM to literally swap out the arcane for divine if nothing else can be found, but I do want to at least recruit help from the playground as my efforts have been fruitless so far.

You can cheat your way into Arcane Trickster as divine caster if you are willing to invest 2 feats for it:

1: Spell Hand
Gives you Mage Hand as SLA to qualify for that requirement part. SLAs can count as a specific spell for requirements.

2: Southern Magician
Lets you cast divine spells as arcane

Biggus
2021-02-11, 03:25 AM
SLAs can count as a specific spell for requirements.

Can they? I've never heard that before, where does it say that?

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-11, 04:31 AM
Can they? I've never heard that before, where does it say that?

Complete Arcane makes a statement about this on page 72:

A requirement based on a specific spell measures whether the character or creat ure in question is capable of producing the necessary effect, and as such, invocations and spell-like abilities that generate the relevant effect meet the requirements for specific spell knowledge. For example, a prestige class with a spellcasting requirement of “Must know (or be able to cast) darkness” is met by a warlock who chooses darkness as one of her invocations, or by any creature with darkness as a spell-like ability.

As such, the 1/day Mage Hand SLA from Spell Hand qualifies for the requirement of the Arcane Trickster.

Rebel7284
2021-02-11, 09:17 AM
There is also the Sacred Outlaw feat in Dragon #357

Psyren
2021-02-11, 11:55 AM
If Pathfinder is on the table, Gray Gardeners also advance divine casting and sneak attack

Biggus
2021-02-11, 12:52 PM
Complete Arcane makes a statement about this on page 72:

As such, the 1/day Mage Hand SLA from Spell Hand qualifies for the requirement of the Arcane Trickster.

Cool, thank you!

Bohandas
2021-02-11, 01:05 PM
What does "SA" stand for?

Doctor Despair
2021-02-11, 01:14 PM
What does "SA" stand for?

Sneak Attack

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-02-11, 02:07 PM
You can cheat your way into Arcane Trickster as divine caster if you are willing to invest 2 feats for it:

1: Spell Hand
Gives you Mage Hand as SLA to qualify for that requirement part. SLAs can count as a specific spell for requirements.

2: Southern Magician
Lets you cast divine spells as arcane

If you (or your DM) don't like Southern Magician, you could also qualify for Arcane Trickster with a single level of Nar Demonbinder, which can be entered with either arcane or divine casting but gives you arcane spells (starting with 4th level spells at Nar Demonbinder 1). You're now up to 3 feats (Spell Hand, Iron Will, and Spell Focus (Conjuration)) and can't enter Arcane Trickster until ECL 10 (Rogue 1/ [divine full-caster] 7/ Nar Demonbinder 1/ Arcane Trickster X), but you also don't have to care about the race and region requirements for Southern Magician. Interestingly, it also looks like Nar Demonbinder doesn't have any alignment restrictions, which I was worried might be a problem.

Arael666
2021-02-11, 02:29 PM
The black Flame Zealot is exactly that, it's only problem being the 5/10 casting.

RNightstalker
2021-02-11, 05:10 PM
The black Flame Zealot is exactly that, it's only problem being the 5/10 casting.

Very few PrCs have logical sense for partial casting progression.

Edit: Taking Swordsage at level 9 will give you access to Assassin's Stance, which will grant the 2d6 SA, and only losing one level of spell progression if you take the Sacred Outlaw feat.

Darg
2021-02-11, 06:13 PM
Very few PrCs have logical sense for partial casting progression.

No it makes perfect logical sense. The problem is that class features other than full casting progression have been extremely overvalued. A 10th level feature should be worth at least 2 casts of an 8th level spell per day and perhaps more. High requirements should also increase the value of the class features which is also not usually the case.

Bohandas
2021-02-11, 08:05 PM
Temple Raider of Olidammara has sneak attack and divine casting, however it uses its own limited spell list

RNightstalker
2021-02-12, 01:27 AM
No it makes perfect logical sense. The problem is that class features other than full casting progression have been extremely overvalued. A 10th level feature should be worth at least 2 casts of an 8th level spell per day and perhaps more. High requirements should also increase the value of the class features which is also not usually the case.

We're gonna be disagreeing on that one.

ShurikVch
2021-02-12, 10:24 AM
Darkmask (Lords of Darkness) gets SA at 3rd level

If 5/10 is acceptable, then there are also Eye of Lolth and Scar Enforcer