PDA

View Full Version : Player Help help finding a magic item

Thac0 Redeye
2021-02-10, 01:46 PM
I'm looking for a magic item that will give me the equivalent of the improved critical feat. I want to combine this with the sacred scabbard which gives the spell bless weapon. That spell will not stack with Keen. I also already have a +5 longsword and cant start over with a new weapon, so changing that won't work either.

Is there perhaps a spell that gives imp crit that I could custom build into an item?

Any ideas?

Thurbane
2021-02-10, 04:00 PM
Well, the Heroics spell can grant Improved Critical as a feat.

I found a few spells that increase critical range of a weapon (Critical Strike, Dolorous Blow etc.), but all that I found have wording stating they do not stack with other effects that increase critical range, so not sure how helpful they are.

Troacctid
2021-02-10, 04:21 PM
To my knowledge, the only item that grants Improved Critical as a feat does so only for spells. All the others do it as weapon abilities, which would not stack.

Thurbane
2021-02-10, 04:32 PM
You could ask the DM if he would let you use the guidelines in Arms & Equipment Guide about creating items that grant feats (Magic Items that Grant Feats sidebar, page 128).

RNightstalker
2021-02-21, 10:14 PM
Well, the Heroics spell can grant Improved Critical as a feat.

I think we have a winner. Any reason this wouldn't work?

Saintheart
2021-02-21, 11:32 PM
Alternatively, bind Andras the Grey Knight (ToM): The Sure Blows power grants you the benefit of Improved Critical with any weapon you can wield.

EDIT: Also, and this is a similar problem to using Andras, Heroics may grant you the Improved Critical feat, but the feat explicitly has to apply to a particular type of weapon, just like Weapon Focus does. If your DM rules that this means your weapon has a magical effect related to critical hits, then you're stuck.

There aren't a lot of non-magical effects out there that get around the Bless Weapon problem, Keen Arrows and Kaorti Resin being the most notable.

aglondier
2021-02-22, 01:30 AM
I remember there being an assassin spell that increased both threat range and crit multiplier...

Saintheart
2021-02-22, 06:08 AM
I remember there being an assassin spell that increased both threat range and crit multiplier...

Most likely that's Critical Strike, which doubles the threat range and adds a bonus 1d6 damage. Did nothing about the multiplier.