PDA

View Full Version : sentient ape aberrant mind

richardbob123
2021-02-10, 01:51 PM
im going to build a sentient ape aberrant mind, using the custom lineage, and they were implanted with a mind flayer tadpole, but the ceremorphosis never completed. and i am wondering what background would work as well as what spells and feats should i focus on.

Ogun
2021-02-10, 04:52 PM
Groilla Grod much??
Were are the rules for sentient apes?
Anyhow, the Telekinesis feat could be great.
If you plan on doing melee, Tavern Brawler might be fun, if not optimal.

meandean
2021-02-10, 05:21 PM
There would be no bad way to build this character.

ftafp
2021-02-10, 11:04 PM
im going to build a sentient ape aberrant mind, using the custom lineage, and they were implanted with a mind flayer tadpole, but the ceremorphosis never completed. and i am wondering what background would work as well as what spells and feats should i focus on.

Be aware that you're not going to get a perfect fit here. in an ideal world you'd be able to get a climbing speed, but the only choice that will give you that (unless you allow UA in which case you can get the Mariner fighting style from Fighting Initiate or a dip in fighter/paladin), is tabaxi, and the other features don't really fit. Athletics can make it so climbing doesn't cost extra movement, but it's not a great pick. You can also play an awakened ape sidekick, but then you're condemning yourself to play a sidekick class.

Frankly, I'd suggest refluffing a bugbear instead of using custom lineage. You don't get the climb speed (unless again, UA is allowed), but powerful build and long limbs fit a gorilla or orangutan like a glove, and the combination of sneaky and surprise attack is just plain hilarious.

Master O'Laughs
2021-02-12, 07:55 AM
What about simic hybrid? Lvl 1 adaptation you give yourself a climbing speed and the 5th level adaptation you give yourself the carapace to represent a thick skin offering you some protection?

Master O'Laughs
2021-02-12, 07:56 AM
Also, having powerful build somehow would make sense.

micahaphone
2021-02-12, 12:37 PM
I personally would go bugbear for the fun of it, especially because I keep thinking about the orangutan from Discworld, the Librarian of Unseen University. He used to be a human wizard, some magic accident turned him into an orangutan, but he prefers his new form and does a very good job managing the stacks.

For rp questions, how recently did the simian become sapient? Has it been a few years, have they been living on the outskirts of society? Are they very recently self aware? Were they adopted/captured by a researcher?

Cuttlerilla
2021-03-11, 11:15 AM
is this as a pc or a dm making an npc?

richardbob123
2021-03-11, 11:18 AM
is this as a pc or a dm making an npc?

this is for a player character

chando
2021-03-15, 12:44 PM
definitly rigth on the o wrong way to doing this char

on spells and tatics, Dissonant Whispers can be cast with verbal only, or by a spamed by single sorcery point after 6th level, generating nice control and lots of Opportunity attacks, especialy around beffy allies.
War Caster givs the ability to cast spells (even twin spells) on a attack of opportunity. The feat also gives adv on concetration so you can keep whatever you have going on pretty much always and can spam dissonant whispers to put things back in AoE, generate Opportunity attacks or doublecast spells...
Using any armor or having a decent Armor Class or some sort of evasion in order to stand in the frontlines doing that is decent and what i would look for in a dip...
Incentive to go High Str is a plus in mind with this concept so a couple levels of paladin could steer the build in a ore gish aproach...
The Discworld Orangotango Bugbear Wizard image is certally amazing in my mind... Maybe spellsword would work?
Hexblade has its perks with sorcerer as always, but artificer is a great also in a couple levels of utility.
WOuld probaby be somthing 2-3/sorcerer rest mostly, maybe deeper on the spellsword for extra attack + cantrip, but you have almost that with dissinant whispers + booming blade opportnunity (+maybe a quicken too), so more sorcery and more spells are alwyas good.

borg286
2021-03-15, 03:41 PM
Consider reflavoring the Satyr race. Using TCoE to realign the stats to your preference. The mindflayer would back up the magical resistance aspect. The Satyr's Ram ability works well for the Ape. Use TCoE to realign the proficiencies for something like Perception (Ape) and Insight (tadpole's psychic ability).
Check out my signature for what spells to pick and when.