PDA

View Full Version : Gaseous Form Cheese

Jack Zander
2007-11-08, 01:30 AM
From this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62534).

Can you Gaseous Form and fly into someone's lungs, then dismiss the spell? What happens? The only thing I found somewhat close to this is Reduce Person's rules in which you break the object that is confining you when you expand. I pulled this on my DM once and it completely halted the session. I don't actually think I played with that DM since... hmm...

Temp
2007-11-08, 01:32 AM
I believe you're displaced, taking 1d6 damage for every 5 feet it takes you to leave their body. No harm to them, though.

Edit: Incorrect, that's Ethereal Jaunt.

Jack Zander
2007-11-08, 01:35 AM
It doesn't say this anywhere though. Or does it and I'm missing it? We've always just had to DM fiat the effects, usually to something of that extent.

EDIT: Okay then.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-08, 01:46 AM
I imagine what happens is similar to the effect you get from using create water to conjure water directly inside someone's lungs. Or cast light on someone's eyes. Or touch a sphere of annihilation to the ground so that it will destroy the entire world instantly.

tyckspoon
2007-11-08, 01:47 AM
The creature is subject to the effects of wind, and it can’t enter water or other liquid

Personal ruling? You can't do it. The other creature breathes you out the next time it exhales. Alternate possibility: If any part of your Gaseous Form'd body is outside the creature you want to enter, you reform outside the other creature. Use the rules for entering another creature's space. Remember that you are still, in total, a Medium (or whatever size you were) volume of gaseous body, and you probably have a hard time fitting entirely inside another Medium-sized creature's lungs.

Jack Zander
2007-11-08, 01:50 AM
Personal ruling? You can't do it. The other creature breathes you out the next time it exhales. Alternate possibility: If any part of your Gaseous Form'd body is outside the creature you want to enter, you reform outside the other creature. Use the rules for entering another creature's space. Remember that you are still, in total, a Medium (or whatever size you were) volume of gaseous body, and you probably have a hard time fitting entirely inside another Medium-sized creature's lungs.

I like that ruling. Now to make sure my DM never sees this site...

Jack Zander
2007-11-08, 01:52 AM
I imagine what happens is similar to the effect you get from using create water to conjure water directly inside someone's lungs. Or cast light on someone's eyes. Or touch a sphere of annihilation to the ground so that it will destroy the entire world instantly.

But none of those work due to the descriptions of the spells/effects. This one doesn't mention anything like this in the description.

You need line of sight to create water, a person's eyes do not count as an oject for the effects of a light spell, and the SoA would simply make a hole in the ground.

Darkxarth
2007-11-08, 09:37 AM
But none of those work due to the descriptions of the spells/effects. This one doesn't mention anything like this in the description.

You need line of sight to create water, a person's eyes do not count as an oject for the effects of a light spell, and the SoA would simply make a hole in the ground.

I believe that was his point.

Jack Zander
2007-11-08, 11:01 PM
And my point was that logically this will actually work. There's nothing in the rules that prevents it, whereas with his examples they all are countered by the actual descriptions of the spells/effects.

NecroRebel
2007-11-09, 12:46 AM
Unfortunately, the spell itself and the Gaseous Form special ability both don't say what happens if the spell ends in a confined space... So it's sort of DM fiat whichever way.

Personally, if someone tried this I'd A) say that their whole body can't fit into the lungs and B) say that one of their limbs was within the lungs, but was forcefully expelled in a semi-gaseous transitional state when the spell ended. In game terms, the victim of this tactic spends a round in a coughing fit (treat as dazed) and the user of the tactic loses a random limb. Just hope that you didn't decide to put your head in there.

I don't know if it was RAW-legal or not, but I once read of a trap using Gaseous Form. The idea was that there were several potions of Gaseous Form in a room, and in one of the room's walls were pencil-thin holes that went deep into the stone. If a person drank the Gaseous Form potion, they could go into a hole, and if they chose the correct hole they'd be able to get through to the next room before the spell wore off. If not, the DM in question had bloody mess squick out of the hole as the person's body tried to reform but couldn't due to confined space. I liked the idea of the puzzle trap, so that's how I usually rule Gaseous Form; if you can't reform in the space, you get squished into something that can.

Jack Zander
2007-11-09, 01:44 AM
Yeah, because there is not RAW ruling, it can go however the DM says. Some will squish you in a bloody mess, some will jaunt your body to the nearest open space and you'll take 1d6 damage for every 5 feet traveled, and some will look at the reduce person rules because their PCs tricked told them that was the closest thing to how it should work.