PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making a Jedi

urawhat
2021-02-10, 11:50 PM
My DM wants to do a 2 shot with a small group and didn't really fill us in on the details of the campaign setting so I decided that I was going to make a Jedi character. I am sure this has been done a bunch of times but I wanted some feed back on how I did. I went Paladin 3/ Sorcerer 5. ( seemed like a no brainer for the theme a sorcerer knight = jedi lol) Stat block was 18/16/16/14/12/10 and we were allowed 2 uncommon items a rare item and 1k gold for supplies.

Here is a link to the dndbeyond page. ddb.ac/characters/44577277/uUc6Oz

Any thematic suggestions or ways to make the build more viable would be great to hear. Thanks in advanced everyone. :smallsmile:

urawhat
2021-02-11, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the link!

Trask
2021-02-11, 12:11 AM
Tasha's Psi Warrior, dexterity focus with a rapier or dual wield and that feat from tasha's that gives you telekinesis and maybe also magic initiate for either Jump, charm person, catapult, mage armor, or shield etc etc. For the the cantrips, pick friends and message. Alternatively, persuade your DM to allow you trade the two uncommons for a ring of telekinesis.

I actually do think the fighter is an excellent chassis for the Jedi, better than the oft used pala/sorc MC simply because of the knight aspect. The Jedi were the most talented warriors in the galaxy with skills that far surpassed any other in hand to hand, with superhuman speed and reflexes. The superior extra attack progression of the Fighter demonstrates this better than any other class. For a very short game, that might not matter but you still have a lot of ASI's to work with which you can use to either pick up a lot of flavorful feats like the above mentioned or also things like Observant, or just pump your scores really high. Jedi' are philosophers and monastic warriors like the knights templar of old combined with a dose of shaolin monk. Those who called them 'sorcerers' were using that term pejoratively and often did so out of ignorance of their true nature and purpose (remember that things like dark sorcery actually exist in the EU of star wars, and its not what the force is).

urawhat
2021-02-11, 12:36 AM
I really appreciate your insight. 🙂 I don't know how much of it I will implement but it's great getting a bunch of different views. Thanks! As a follow-up question what did you think of my specific build?

Trask
2021-02-11, 02:38 AM
I really appreciate your insight. 🙂 I don't know how much of it I will implement but it's great getting a bunch of different views. Thanks! As a follow-up question what did you think of my specific build?

I think it looks pretty solid. I do like that you chose spells that simulate Jedi-like effects, like crown of madness and command and such. I think you'll get good mileage out of that setup, Sorcadin is very strong.

Unoriginal
2021-02-11, 06:12 AM
Kensei Monk with the Telekinetic feat would cover a lot of what a "standard" Jedi can do. So does the mentioned-before Psi Warrior.

RSP
2021-02-11, 07:28 AM
There’s different types of Jedi, and they can have a wide array of abilities: a Consular would be a different build than a Guardian.

That said, my favorite Jedi build is Bladesinger, using Shadow Blade as your lightsaber (though admittedly this worked better with the original SCAG Bladesinger). The Wizard class gives access to all the Jedi powers, while BS gives the feel of a lightsaber wielder.

Unoriginal
2021-02-11, 07:32 AM
There’s different types of Jedi, and they can have a wide array of abilities: a Consular would be a different build than a Guardian.

That said, my favorite Jedi build is Bladesinger, using SBas your lightsaber (though admittedly this worked better with the original SCAG Bladesinger). The Wizard class gives access to all the Jedi powers, while BS gives the feel of a lightsaber wielder.

Bladesinger can fit for the Count Dooku-style, Form II using Force-user, yeah.

urawhat
2021-02-11, 09:25 AM
All great suggestions, thanks! My favorite Jedi is Mace Windu so I was trying to give him that kind of vibe.

Unoriginal
2021-02-11, 10:10 AM
All great suggestions, thanks! My favorite Jedi is Mace Windu so I was trying to give him that kind of vibe.

For Mace Windu I would definitively go Psi Warrior with 3 levels of Barbarian (either Bear Totem or Zealot).

He wasn't the master of Vaapad for nothing.

Jon talks a lot
2021-02-11, 11:29 AM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=23964192&postcount=142

Kinetic Blaster is basically the force

urawhat
2021-02-11, 12:18 PM
For Mace Windu I would definitively go Psi Warrior with 3 levels of Barbarian (either Bear Totem or Zealot).

He wasn't the master of Vaapad for nothing.

Hell yeah! That's a good idea. :)

urawhat
2021-02-11, 12:31 PM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=23964192&postcount=142

Kinetic Blaster is basically the force

You're right lol, I played a sorloc in the last campaign and it was pretty busted so I'm trying to stay away from that for a little while.

CMCC
2021-02-11, 05:00 PM
My DM wants to do a 2 shot with a small group and didn't really fill us in on the details of the campaign setting so I decided that I was going to make a Jedi character. I am sure this has been done a bunch of times but I wanted some feed back on how I did. I went Paladin 3/ Sorcerer 5. ( seemed like a no brainer for the theme a sorcerer knight = jedi lol) Stat block was 18/16/16/14/12/10 and we were allowed 2 uncommon items a rare item and 1k gold for supplies.

Here is a link to the dndbeyond page. ddb.ac/characters/44577277/uUc6Oz

Any thematic suggestions or ways to make the build more viable would be great to hear. Thanks in advanced everyone. :smallsmile:

My guide was linked above, but for a level 8 static build, I'd probably go Fighter 2/Bladesinger 6 for Con saves, fighting style, action surge, and the BS extra attack feature. If it was a level 9 game, I'd have to say straight bladesinger because of Telekinesis/ Animate Object/ Wall of Force.

If you wanted to go very martial/just learning the force type Jedi (Luke in Empire), I'd potentially go Psi Warrior 7/ Wizard 1. Take Shield, Absorb Elements, Catapult, Charm Person etc. You'd have some cool TK powers with PW 7, and basic spells.

Personally, I'm playing an Artificer 1/BS 6 build right now in my campaign and just got a Sun Blade last night - it's part of the D&D Module, so it was completely random - not my DM helping out my force user build. I'm taking artificer because with Battle Smith I'll be able to use my INT for attacks/dmg, which matters since my Dex is only 16 and I don't have the ASI or desire to pump both Dex and Int. And of course the droid companion.

Your Paladin/Sorcerer split is fine. Divine Smites don't do anything for me for a Jedi build, and that's kind of the main paladin thing. But if you flavor it as a light saber strike or the force aiding you, I guess it's fine. Personal preference really.

urawhat
2021-02-11, 05:21 PM
Great suggestions! I can't wait to put a bunch of these together on dndbeyond and figure out what grabs me the most. This forum always seems to be filled with helpful people I really appreciate it!😁😁😁

CMCC
2021-02-11, 05:50 PM
I will say that the big issue you'll find with sorcerer over wizard is simply the lack of spells. Jedi use a surprising amount of spell/abilities. I'm having issues with my 18 INT wizard getting all the spells I need and preparing them.

If you have questions on that guide, go ahead and post them in the other thread, so it's all in one place.