PDA

View Full Version : Message clarification

Hilary
2021-02-11, 01:42 AM
So...

Message cantrip allows the target to whisper a reply to the message.

What if the target doesn't know it's a message cantrip?

Would the caster hear anything the target said immediately after the message was delivered?

I am picturing using dancing lights to pretend to be a fey spirit and using message so the target hears the caster's voice as if it were the fey spirit talking to them.

CheddarChampion
2021-02-11, 01:49 AM
It seems like if a target didn't respond to Message but did speak normally afterwards, there wouldn't be anything to prevent the caster from hearing what was said as if Message wasn't in effect.

The caster wouldn't get a response via Message in this case. Also note that Message doesn't disguise your voice.

JoeJ
2021-02-11, 01:55 AM
This is ask your DM territory, but I would rule that something the recipient said would only be returned as a reply if they intended it as a reply. They wouldn't have to know that it was a cantrip, but they would have to intend to reply to whomever was speaking.

kingcheesepants
2021-02-11, 06:55 AM
So...

Message cantrip allows the target to whisper a reply to the message.

What if the target doesn't know it's a message cantrip?

Would the caster hear anything the target said immediately after the message was delivered?

I am picturing using dancing lights to pretend to be a fey spirit and using message so the target hears the caster's voice as if it were the fey spirit talking to them.

I like the visual of having a little light to make it look like a spirit or something is talking to the target but I think you might be unintentionally nerfing the spell. One of the big benefits of message is being able to talk to folks without anyone knowing, having a tell of a little light lessens that advantage significantly.

I'd say that if the reply came within a reasonable timeframe (lets say 6 seconds or 1 round) than the reply would be relayed back whether or not the target knew or intended for it do so.