PDA

View Full Version : True Neutral Prestige Classes

MR_Anderson
2021-02-11, 02:55 PM
One of my players is True Neutral, and is looking for Prestige Classes.

He is basically a melee Fighter with a small dip in Rogue, Race doesn’t matter as I can waive requirements.

I know there are plenty of Prestige Classes out there that he could take, but are there any that are specific to TN aligned characters?

Quentinas
2021-02-11, 03:59 PM
The first that come to mind is the cipher adept from planar handbook but i don't know if is good , never used

Psyren
2021-02-11, 04:19 PM
Pathfinder has one I really love the flavor of - Envoy of Balance (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/envoy-of-balance/) from their Champions of Balance splatbook. Not only is it a solid PrC in general due to the 10/10 spellcasting progression, but it lets you do various other strong and neutral-flavored things - channel both positive and negative energy, spontaneously cast both cure and inflict spells, summon creatures that get to ignore protection from alignment spells, constant mind blank to avoid being influenced by one faction or another, bypass alignment-based traps and glyphs, and at the capstone, they can instantly kill an enemy and use the energy to restore a companion to life.

Any caster can get in, but it's probably not the best fit for a martial build however as it is 1/2 BAB.

Thurbane
2021-02-11, 10:22 PM
The only other PrC I could find that has a req of "Alignment: Neutral" besides Cipher Adept is Sybil, which probaly isn't much use in this case.

There are a few that list TN as well as other alignments in the reqs: Animal Lord, Bereft, Diamond Dragon, Fochlucan Lyrist, Ghostwalker, Holt Warden, Nature's Warrior, Purifier of the Hallowed Doctrine, Sand Shaper, Void Disciple, Wavekeeper etc.

Then of course, there are also a ton of "any non-evil" etc.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/40968268/what-makes-a-man-turn-neutral-lust-for-gold-power-or-were-you-just-born-with-a-heart-full-of-neutral.jpg

Particle_Man
2021-02-12, 04:15 AM
I think dragon magazine once did an update for 3.5 to their “paladins for the other eight alignments” article that was originally for first edition. That, combined with the “Paladin as prestige class” alternative rule, might get you something you could use.

Alternatively maybe dip into multiple classes or prestige classes that have “not good”, “not evil”, “not lawful” and “not chaotic” as requirements?

MR_Anderson
2021-02-12, 09:42 PM
Thank you all for the responses!

The first that come to mind is the cipher adept from planar handbook but i don't know if is good , never used
It is interesting, and I shared it, I might change it to be Fighter BAB, and I still think it wouldn’t be OP.

The only other PrC I could find that has a req of "Alignment: Neutral" besides Cipher Adept is Sybil, which probaly isn't much use in this case.

There are a few that list TN as well as other alignments in the reqs: Animal Lord, Bereft, Diamond Dragon, Fochlucan Lyrist, Ghostwalker, Holt Warden, Nature's Warrior, Purifier of the Hallowed Doctrine, Sand Shaper, Void Disciple, Wavekeeper etc.

Then of course, there are also a ton of "any non-evil" etc.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/40968268/what-makes-a-man-turn-neutral-lust-for-gold-power-or-were-you-just-born-with-a-heart-full-of-neutral.jpg
Yea, Sybil isn’t helpful to him. I am aware of lots of non-alignment prc.

I like the picture, but I always classify Lust for Gold (Wealth) or Power as Evil characteristics, not Neutral, is this just me?

I think dragon magazine once did an update for 3.5 to their “paladins for the other eight alignments” article that was originally for first edition. That, combined with the “Paladin as prestige class” alternative rule, might get you something you could use.

Alternatively maybe dip into multiple classes or prestige classes that have “not good”, “not evil”, “not lawful” and “not chaotic” as requirements?
I would really like to see those, I am chuckling at a TN Paladin.

As for the non-good, etc...

While it is up to the player, I’m trying to have him stick with only the classes that are non-evil.

He said he didn’t want to play good to which I pointed out that I didn’t need him to play good, I just wanted him to play non-evil, like he did with the slaves they just left for dead.

They didn’t want to help the masters kill the slaves, and they offered to buy some of them to try and save a few. However, when they realized they couldn’t buy them they just didn’t want to be around for the massacre. That’s Neutral with a tendency for Good.

Particle_Man
2021-02-12, 09:54 PM
3.5 paladins of other alignments including TN is in Dragon #310. Paizo is selling the pdf for under $5. Amusingly the TN paladin is called the "incarnate", which is a name shared by another 3.5 class in the book Magic of Incarnum that cannot be TN. And the incarnate chassis looks close enough to the paladin that I think that you could "prestige class" it, as done with the LG version in the online srd (or unearthed arcana if you have that book).

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm. (The way of prestiging a paladin)

https://paizo.com/products/btpy7e8w. (dragon magazine 310 for sale, legally and fairly inexpensively).

The original alternate paladins were in Dragon #106 (everything but LG and CE) and #39 (the anti-paladin, CE) but that was for 1st edition. There the TN paladin obsessed with balance enough to try to kill extremists (so kill a CE anti-paladin, then kill an LG paladin). Because alignment in 1st ed was a bit different than alignment in 3.5. The 3.5 TN paladin is more playable.

ShurikVch
2021-02-16, 09:30 AM
Dragon #298 have Dragon Warrior PrC; alignment requirement forbids Dragon Warrior to be either Lawful or Chaotic - thus, various Neutral alignments only

Zaq
2021-02-16, 11:12 AM
Some deity-focused classes, like divine crusader, require that your alignment exactly match that of your patron deity (rather than the usual one-step-away guidelines). So if you happen to be, for example, a divine crusader devoted to Fharlanghn or another TN deity, that would require you to be TN.

Thurbane
2021-02-16, 04:02 PM
Some deity-focused classes, like divine crusader, require that your alignment exactly match that of your patron deity (rather than the usual one-step-away guidelines). So if you happen to be, for example, a divine crusader devoted to Fharlanghn or another TN deity, that would require you to be TN.

Good call. As well as Divine Crusader, I also found Evangelist and Sanctified One.

MR_Anderson
2021-02-17, 03:11 PM
Thank you all for the input.

I met up with the player and one other, who are the two melee fighters of the party. They have decided to basically be mirrored copies of each other through Level 13.

They are both Two Weapon Fighting as Rogue, Ranger, Fighter, and Tempests. Neither knows what they want to do past 13.

Is there anything that targets neutral based alignments so I can motivate them to shift an alignment somewhat? I remember reading something somewhere that was harsh on Neutrally aligned creatures.

Particle_Man
2021-02-17, 06:18 PM
Well if you go wayyyyy back to B/X D&D there was the Heartstone that brought out the just nature of Strongheart the Paladin and the cruel nature of his former companion Warduke. That might seem a little ham-handed though, like the cursed helm of opposite alignment (which is 3.5 and drives a TN alignment to some extreme diagonal alignment, but it has a dc 15 will save and a wish or miracle can revert the alignment).

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#helmofOppositeAlignment