PDA

View Full Version : If you could create a spell and have it officially 5e Published...

Ignis6669
2021-02-11, 08:08 PM
Inspired by this thread that I loved (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?612776-If-you-could-create-a-spell-and-have-it-published-offically-into-dnd-what-would-it-b), please share with the group. What spell would you want added to 5e? Whether completely thought out or just a vague idea, let's share our thoughts!

From the original post, in case you're interested:

Hi gang.

So this is more fanciful for fun. I was looking at melfs acid arrow and was pondering about this.

Let's say that theres some dnd fan contest. Everyone who cares is asked to submit a spell. Whoever wins gets their spell published and made into a spell and gets the proverbial bragging rights.

Q☆: What would your entry be called, and what would it do? Does it have a story?

●No limits here, so feel free to throw balance out and just suggest a concept of what you think would just be neat to have as a spell. No dumb ideas (mines probably dumb lol)

●If you have a caster, feel free to theme it after them too as the person who invented the spell and make it a fluff story. For fun :p

For my entry:
~Creator: Sindal, a sorceror
~Spell: Magic Repeater
~Effect: Magic Repeater is basically an upgrade to Magic Missle. Not more damage per shot but more shots to make it slightly more effective than just upcasting magic missle, perhaps with a longer range. It also isnt blocked by the shield spell due to its higher spell power.

Magic missle is Sindal's favourite spell. I imagine he would have done some metamagic toying with it to make it better.

Seclora
2021-02-11, 10:11 PM
In honor of my first character, a 3.5 bard, I present this single target debuff.

This spell should be added to the Bard and Warlock spell lists
Fell Snap
1st level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120ft
Components: S
Duration: 1 Minute

Choose a single creature within range. That creature takes 1d4 Thunder damage, and each time the creature makes a D20 roll, it also rolls 1d4 and subtracts that number from the result. If for any reason, the target does not take damage from this spell, the spell has no effect.

MaxWilson
2021-02-11, 10:27 PM
Inspired by this thread that I loved (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?612776-If-you-could-create-a-spell-and-have-it-published-offically-into-dnd-what-would-it-b), please share with the group. What spell would you want added to 5e? Whether completely thought out or just a vague idea, let's share our thoughts!

From the original post, in case you're interested:

Simulacrum Apocalypse (1st level spell):

When you cast this spell, all Simulacra which have ever existed are retroactively destroyed, and creation of future Simulacra must abide by AD&D rules: the copies are listless, zombielike imitations with none of the original's knowledge and no motivation of their own, and have only 50% of the original's HP and special abilities. Passing a Simulacrum off as the original is possible, but just barely, and observers are likely to conclude that the subject is seriously ill (a la Theoden under Wyrmtongue's influence).

SociopathFriend
2021-02-12, 12:37 AM
Gate of Nerf

5th Level Transmutation
Range: 60 feet
Components: V S
Duration: Concentration, Up to 10 minutes
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard

You gain the ability to telekinetically wield at least one weapon for the duration of this spell. When you cast the spell and as your action for each round for the duration you can exert your will to make a Ranged Spell Attack roll with the weapon against a target within range. On a hit the target takes the typical damage of the weapon dealt in melee but using your Spellcasting modifier instead of Strength or Dexterity.

For every spell slot above 5th level an additional weapon can be used for the duration and as part of the action.

Kane0
2021-02-12, 02:02 AM
Putrid Haze
1st-Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 120 feet
Components: None
Duration: Concentration, up to one minute

You target one corpse you can see within range. The target corpse decomposes, spilling forth a toxic vapor in a 10 foot radius. Any creature that starts its turn within this area takes 1d10 poison damage, or half if they succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell DC. Creatures that fail their saving throw are also poisoned until the end of their next turn.
If the spell affects the target corpse for the full duration the corpse is fully decomposed when the spell ends. A moderate or stronger wind disperses the vapor and ends the spell.
At higher levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d10 for every slot level above 1st.

Its a thematic and also decent combat spell plus holds utility in being both an obscuring effect and a reverse gentle repose

Edit: alternatively theres this but its even more of a villlain-not-PC spell

Irradiate
1st-Level Evocation
Components: None
Duration: Instantaneous

Select a point you can see within range. A 5 foot radius around this point is bathed in green light which kills off all nonmagical plant life. Creatures caught within the area take 1d4 Radiant and 1d4 Necrotic damage, or half if they succeed on a Constitution Saving Throw against your Spell DC. The area this spell effects is effectively salted and remains barren for up to one year.
At higher levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the radius increases by 5 feet for every slot level above 1st.

loki_ragnarock
2021-02-12, 02:42 AM
Blast of Sorcery
2nd Level Evocation
Range: 150
Components: V,S
Duration: Special

At the time of casting pick acid, fire, thunder, lighting, or cold damage. One target within range must make a reflex saving throw or take 4d6 damage of the chosen type.
If you have access to sorcery points, you may spend them on this spell at time of casting to change it's effects:
For one sorcery point, you may instead target one point within range. All creatures within 15' sphere of that point must make a reflex saving throw or take 4d6 damage. For every additional point you spend past the first, the area of effect increases by 15'.
For one sorcery point, you may create a five foot line that extends to the point of your choosing within range. All creatures within that line take 4d6 damage on a failed reflex saving throw.
If you opt to create an area of effect, you may also spend sorcery points to make it a persistent effect as the energies you've unleashed linger. This requires the expenditure of one sorcery point per round it persists, and you must concentrate on this spell for the duration. Creatures that enter the area must make a reflex save or take 4d6 damage.
For two sorcery points, you may change the damage type to psychic, radiant, necrotic, or force.
For three sorcery points, creatures that take damage from this spell suffer an additional debilitating effect base on the type of damage dealt. Acid or Fire damage deal half the initial damage dealt again at the start of the subjects turn. Lightning and Psychic damage renders the subject incapacitated. Cold damage renders the subject restrained. Radiant damage causes the subject to emit bright light, revealing their location and preventing stealth or invisibility. Necrotic damage renders the subject frightened. Thunder and Force damage pushes the target 10 ft away from the caster.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell with a slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage dealt by this spell increases by 2d6 per spell slot above 2nd.

Sorcerer spell list only.

hifidelity2
2021-02-12, 04:07 AM
A none combat one (and one that a DM let me research and use)

Dehydrate Food (r)
3rd Level (Transmutation)
Casting Time 1 round
Range 30 ft
Components V,M
Duration Special

When the spell is cast it will turn 2 weeks of food into dust. If water is added to the dust it will return the dust back into the food (and at the state it was when it was turned into dust)
Note this spell has NO effect on the living / undead (it cant be used as an offensive spell)

This allowed the party to eat really well on campaign (we used to find the best restaurant in the town and get him to cook banquets and then cast the spell. )
It also when my magic user became an npc a way for him to fund his magic collage as he created wands with the spell and would then sell them. Was popular with nobles who didnt want to rough it and the army who could reduce the size of the wagon train needed to supply the army

Wizard list

Sandeman
2021-02-12, 06:16 AM
I would make a variant of Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade that works with multiple attacks per round and still is balanced power wise.

ImproperJustice
2021-02-12, 06:55 AM
I want to steal this spell from the game XCRAWL:

Marco Polo
Level 3
School: Enchantment
Range: 120’
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute, concentration

Choose a target known to you that is in range.
Known is defined as having seen before or you know the targets name.
For the duration of the spell you may use your reaction to speak the word Marco.
The target must then make a Wisdom save or reply with the word Polo.
This may be done to give away an invisible or concealed targets position or to disrupt spell casting or other verbal commands.

Amnestic
2021-02-12, 07:52 AM
Support weapon cantrip, radiant damage, lower damage numbers than BB due to range option, damage type and potentially easier trigger.

Divine Mark - (Cleric, Divine Sorcerer, Celestial Warlock)

Evocation cantrip

Range: Self
Components: S, M (a weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: 1 round

You brandish the weapon used in the spell’s casting and make an attack with it against one creature within 30 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes marked by a symbol of divine power. If the creature is hit by a weapon attack from a creature other than yourself before the start of your next turn, the mark detonates, dealing 1d6 radiant damage.

At Higher Levels. At 5th level, the attack deals an extra 1d6 radiant damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes from the mark detonating to 2d6. Both damage rolls increase by 1d6 at 11th level (2d6 and 3d6) and again at 17th level (3d6 and 4d6).

Warder
2021-02-12, 10:52 AM
Probably some kind of anti-opposite alignment bolt spell that'd be more effective the more opposed your target's alignment is. Yes, yes, I know.

Darth Credence
2021-02-12, 11:13 AM
I'm going to go with my current favorite home brew spell. It's not particularly creative, as it is derivative of an existing spell, but it serves a definite need our party had.

Credence's Tiny Barn (Wizard, Bard)

3rd level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 Minute (R)
Range/Area: 20 ft (10 ft cube)
Components: V, S, M *
Duration: 8 Hours
Damage/Effect: Utility

A 10-foot per side immobile cube of force springs into existence at any point in range and remains stationary for the duration. The spell ends if you leave the range

Four creatures of Large size or smaller can fit in the barn. The spell fails if its area includes a larger creature or more than four creatures plus the caster. Creatures and objects designated by you when you cast this spell can move through it freely, or can be restrained to remain inside. All other creatures and objects are barred from passing through it. Spells and other magical effects can't extend through the cube or be cast through it. The atmosphere inside the space is comfortable and dry, regardless of the weather outside.

The barn is opaque from the outside, of any color you choose, but it is transparent from the inside. You can see through the walls at will. Until the spell ends, you can command the interior to become dimly lit or dark, although this does not change the amount of light entering from outside.
* - (A bit of hay, plus 1 gp royalty)

Luccan
2021-02-12, 11:42 AM
I'd like a Cleric cantrip that involved a spell attack roll. And maybe also a secondary effect. Halving speed seems appropriate. I like Radiant Lance for the name.

Amnestic
2021-02-12, 11:55 AM
I'd like a Cleric cantrip that involved a spell attack roll. And maybe also a secondary effect.

Here's my idea for such a concept:

Radiant Lance
Cantrip Evocation

Components: V S M (a small twig)
Classes: Cleric
A radiant lance of light manifests over your shoulder, which flies towards your target. Make a ranged spell attack. If it hits, the target takes 1d6 radiant damage and the lance pierces through them. Creatures in a 15' long, 5' wide line behind the target creature take the same damage.

The spell's damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th Level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

stoutstien
2021-02-12, 12:01 PM
Disrupt
2nd-level Abjuration
Range: 90 feet
Casting time: one action
Duration: instantaneous
Classes: artificer, bard, sorcerer, wizard, warlock

Choose any creature within range. That creature must make a concentration saving throw to maintain concentration on any spell or effect they are currently concentrating on. The DC is equal to your spell save DC.

At higher levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can increase the DC by 2 for every spell level above 2nd.

da newt
2021-02-12, 12:09 PM
Melf's Poisoned Arrow

3rd lvl Evocation
1 action
120'
VSM (snake's skin)
Instant

Black arrow streaks toward the target within range. Ranged spell attack to hit target, 4d10 poison damage. Hit or miss the arrow explodes and sprays all creatures within 10' of the target. All creatures hit by poison spray (target and creatures in range) must make CON save or be POISONED for 1 minute. (similar to Ice Knife)

If upcast w/ 5th lvl slot, fire two arrows, add an additional arrow for each lvl above 5th.

Contrast
2021-02-12, 12:13 PM
Inspired by a character of mine:

Hansil's Harmonious Haberdashery
2nd level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 30ft
Components: S, M (cotton thread and a silver needle worth at least 100g)

The spell transforms the design, cut and appearnace of the targets clothes and belongings to fit their whim. Choose up to four willing creatures in range. Each target gains insight into the general local clothing trends and fashions within a 20 mile radius and can choose to change the general appearance and design of their worn items. The spell cannot transform an object into a different type of object, only change its appearance. You may clean and repair damage as part of the transformation process but a broken or destroyed item cannot be restored.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can target two additional creatures for each slot level above 2nd.

Segev
2021-02-12, 12:18 PM
Command Undead
1st-level necromancy
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a bit of flesh or bone)
Duration: 24 hours
This spell lets you impose your will upon the undead. Choose an undead creature that you can see within range. It must perceive you. The creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be unable to attack you or include you in an effect that would target you. Affected creatures have a minimum attitude of Indifferent, and creatures with an Intelligence of 6 or lower have an attitude of Friendly. Creatures affected by this spell can understand you regardless of what languages they speak. If you or one of your companions harms the target, the spell ends.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can affect one additional undead creature for each slot level above 1st.

Luccan
2021-02-12, 01:03 PM
Here's my idea for such a concept:

I don't dislike it, but 15ft of area damage seems like a lot for a ranged cantrip, doesn't it?

JNAProductions
2021-02-12, 01:11 PM
I don't dislike it, but 15ft of area damage seems like a lot for a ranged cantrip, doesn't it?

A 15' line ain't nearly as good as a 15' cone or circle. How often do you get enemies lined up such that they can all be hit by a line?

Nitpick on it, though, you could attack a low AC target and get guaranteed damage on the targets behind. I'd rather just have a 15' line with a save for none on all affected targets.

Amnestic
2021-02-12, 01:20 PM

I may have worded it poorly, it's meant to be hitting 3 squares total, including the initial target, so three creatures max if they all line up nicely for you.

I was using Word of Radiance (same damage die+type) as a comparison point and I think this is decent as an alternative without being noticeably stronger/weaker.
Comparison points:
-WoR hits more squares (8* vs. 3), but you have to be in melee range as opposed to 60'. On the other hand, Radiant Lance relies on positioning to get optimal value - you need to make sure enemies are in the right 'line' to get hit, and if they're not, it's value goes down. This is true for WoR as well, but hitting more squares makes it easier, especially if enemies clump up to hit you in melee.
-WoR is a con save, vs spell attack, but it's per-creature, rather than all-or-nothing like Radiant Lance, which makes WoR more reliable.
-WoR lets you avoid friendly fire, Radiant Lance doesn't. If Radiant Lance wanted a buff on review, that's the first change I'd make.

*more if you go vertical, I'm assuming flat gameplay here since that's how most encounters will be.

BigRedJedi
2021-02-12, 03:41 PM
Arcane Dart
Cantrip evocation
Range: 120 feet

Used to train apprentices to focus and harness arcane energy, this spell creates a single dart of focused ethereal force which unerringly seeks and strikes a target within range which the caster can see, avoiding obstacles and cover. The dart deals {1+INT} force damage to the target. This spell is nullified by the Shield spell, the same as for Magic Missile.

At Higher Levels: The damage dealt by the spell increases to {3+INT} at 5th level, to {6+INT} at 11th Level, and to {10+INT} at 17th level.

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-02-12, 05:27 PM
I'd like to have 5' radius darkness or obscurement spell that would move with the caster or object. This would make a blindfighting character playable without hooping the rest of the party.

Angelalex242
2021-02-12, 10:28 PM
Copyright be damned!

Zelda Sword (Pal)

For 1 minute, your sword attacks at range. Such ranged attack rolls use charisma, rather than strength/dexterity for both to hit and damage rolls. Such attacks do whatever damage your weapon normally does, with all magical effects attached, as if you'd struck the enemy in melee combat. (IE, your flame tongue sword still does +2d6 fire damage)

(not sure what level spell this should be.)

This spell exists to hit flying creatures as a Paladin who invests nothing in dexterity.

Segev
2021-02-13, 02:10 AM
Copyright be damned!

Zelda Sword (Pal)

For 1 minute, your sword attacks at range. Such ranged attack rolls use charisma, rather than strength/dexterity for both to hit and damage rolls. Such attacks do whatever damage your weapon normally does, with all magical effects attached, as if you'd struck the enemy in melee combat. (IE, your flame tongue sword still does +2d6 fire damage)

(not sure what level spell this should be.)

This spell exists to hit flying creatures as a Paladin who invests nothing in dexterity.

Wind-Charged Weapon
2nd level evocation
Range: Personal, see text
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
When you cast this spell, you compress the atmosphere around yourself, enabling you to direct it with your weapon attacks. While the spell lasts, your melee weapon attacks may be made at targets up to 60 feet away. You make the melee weapon attack roll normally, and if it hits, determine damage as if you'd hit in melee.
At higher levels. If you cast the spell with a spell slot of third level or higher, the range at which it enables you to make attacks increases by 30 ft. per spell level over second.

Crucius
2021-02-13, 07:40 AM
I find it interesting to see that most spells proposed here are a relatively low level. Is that so the spells can be cast often? Is it so the spells are learned early in the adventurer's career?

Here is my entry:
Efreeti's Curse - 3rd level (concentration)
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: Touch

You touch a hostile creature. It must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be cursed, feeling the scorching sands of the Plane of Fire below their feet. For 1 minute, the target provokes opportunity attacks from other creatures when they move 5 feet or more while within their reach, and cannot willingly drop prone.

At the end of each of the target's turns, it takes Fire damage equal to the amount of unspent movement it has. Furthermore, when it exits a square it leaves behind a trail of fire that lasts until the start of its next turn. When a creature enters an affected square for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there, it takes 5 Fire damage. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.

The idea is that this combos with a warcaster booming blade on a gish so it can force opportunity attacks, while also changing the battlefield in an interesting way (should the enemy move). I dislike the amount of random stuff that has to be included for it to work (opp. attacks when moving, prone removal), so not the best design, but I thought it interesting at least. I also dislike that it is save or suck, but it is what it is.

Kane0
2021-02-13, 07:55 AM
I find it interesting to see that most spells proposed here are a relatively low level. Is that so the spells can be cast often? Is it so the spells are learned early in the adventurer's career?

Yeah. Earlier they are available hopefully the more use they’ll get, especially if it isn’t Just Another Damage Spell and scales.

Crucius
2021-02-13, 08:08 AM
Yeah. Earlier they are available hopefully the more use they’ll get, especially if it isn’t Just Another Damage Spell and scales.

Yeah I suspected as much. I half expected there to be ludicrous high level spells in here but none so far. I kinda like that!

jaappleton
2021-02-13, 08:10 AM
I've always been of the belief that a third level version of Sunbeam would be amazing.

You'd have to remove the Blinded condition, because its so strong. What I would do is essentially Call Lightning, but in a line.

Battlebooze
2021-02-13, 08:15 AM
Wall of Vegetation
1st level Conjuration
Range: 90 feet
Components: V,S,M (A small piece of plant root.)
Duration: Concentration up to 10 minutes
Classes: Druid, Ranger.

The Wall of Vegetation spell creates a wall like area of thick over grown plants or fungi that look native to that location. The area filled with these plants is composed of 5 ten by ten foot squares that must all be adjacent to each other. The dense vegetation does not hinder movement, but any creatures inside the wall area smaller than large size are considered to be heavily obscured. In an underground setting the spell creates mushrooms and underground plants with an equal effect. When the spell ends, all the plants or fungi shrivel and fade away.

Amnestic
2021-02-13, 09:33 AM
Yeah I suspected as much. I half expected there to be ludicrous high level spells in here but none so far. I kinda like that!

Well I can throw out one or two to even it out a bit, though they're both older edition spells brought into 5e :)

Energy Immunity
7th level abjuration
Components: V S
Duration: 8 hours
Classes: Druid, Sorcerer
The creature you touch as part of casting this spell gains Immunity to one of the following damage types: Radiant, Necrotic, Fire, Cold, Thunder, or Lightning, for one hour. This spell makes you immune only to damage, and any additional effects/conditions may still afflict the targets (such as the strength drain from a Shadow monster).

At higher levels. For each spell level above 7th, you can target one additional creature with this spell.

Unname
9th level necromancy
Range: 80'
Components: V S M (A paper inscribed with the truename of your target, the ink and paper of which is worth at least 1000gp)
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
By speaking aloud the truename of your target, you unmake them, attempting to delete their very concept from reality itself. They must succeed on a constitution save or be instantly reduced to 0hp, die, and have their body and soul destroyed utterly, making them unable to be resurrected outside of a deity's actions. Any items carried by the creature, outside of artifacts, are likewise destroyed, being pulled into the unmaking of the creature that was holding them.

A creature who succeeds on the save against instant death is nevertheless stunned for one minute. The target can make a further constitution saving throw at the end of each of their turns to end the stun effect early.

Unname obviously not a spell you can throw out willy nilly since you need to know the target's Truename which is a quest in and of itself, but a save-or-die, and a no-save-just-stun, is probably worthy of being a 9th level spell. Note that the M component isn't consumed, which means you could, presumably, reuse it after a long rest in the highly unlikely even that such a situation presents itself.

cZak
2021-02-13, 02:25 PM
Deflecting ward
1st-level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Bonus action
Range: One creature
One creature is enveloped in a cloud of shifting motes of light.
Any attack on the creature that misses by 5 or more is deflected to an adjacent target of the warded creature's choice.
At Higher Levels. The spell provides a bonus of +1 AC for every two higher spell levels (rounded down); +1@3&4, +2@5&6, +3@7&8, +4@9

noob
2021-02-13, 02:47 PM
Simplify: when this spell is cast all class features and spells and monster abilities are removed forever from the game because it is way too complicated.
Special: it can be cast by any fighter.

Nifft
2021-02-13, 03:02 PM
We're explicitly discarding balance, eh? Well then.

Swordmage Aegis
Abjuration Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 Bonus action
Duration: 1 minute (see below)

Your ally is shielded in a nimbus of arcane energy.

The ally you designate gains +1 AC for the spell's duration. Furthermore, if the designated ally is the target of a melee attack, you can use your reaction to teleport adjacent to the attacker and make a melee attack against it with Advantage. Resolve your melee attack first, negating the triggering attack if you drop the triggering attacker.

You can only have one Swordmage Aegis effect at a time. If you cast this cantrip again while it is already in effect, the earlier effect ends.

At Higher Levels: Your bonus melee attack deals an extra +1d8 damage at 5th level, +2d8 at 11th Level, and +3d8 at 17th level.

Ignis6669
2021-02-13, 10:05 PM
Wind-Charged Weapon
2nd level evocation
Range: Personal, see text
When you cast this spell, you compress the atmosphere around yourself, enabling you to direct it with your weapon attacks. While the spell lasts, your melee weapon attacks may be made at targets up to 60 feet away. You make the melee weapon attack roll normally, and if it hits, determine damage as if you'd hit in melee.
At higher levels. If you cast the spell with a spell slot of third level or higher, the range at which it enables you to make attacks increases by 30 ft. per spell level over second.

This is a thing a beauty!

MrStabby
2021-02-14, 05:15 AM
Hmm. Probably something to help clerics fight fiends. The two enemies I would expect a cleric to excel against are undead and fiends. Turn undead covers one adequately.

Fiends on the other hand play to a clerics weakness. With good saves and magic resistance high level fiends are pretty much immune to clerics. There is a limit of how far your first level guiding bolts and inflict wounds will go when facing off against pit fiends and balors.

So yeah, a damaging spell that needs an attack roll or ability check; maybe one that does extra damage vs the subjects of spells like forbidance. Probably around level 5ish... or 4 if it upscales well. Something that as a cleric helps you feel that exorcising demons is actually part of your job description.

Wraith
2021-02-14, 06:43 AM
Counterspell is fun, but I'd like to see it evolve. Wizards don't seem like the type to turn Fire Bolt into Fireball without doing something similar to other spells:

Reflect
5th level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction (Taken when you see another creature cast a spell which targets you)
Classes: Wizard, Sorcerer

You attempt to interfere in the process of another creature casting a spell, diverting it away from it's original target to elsewhere. If the creature is casting a spell of 5th level or lower and it targets you, you divert the spell and choose a new target within 30ft. If it is casting a spell of 6th level or higher, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a success, you divert the spell and choose a new target within 30ft.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, the interrupted spell is diverted to a new target (chosen by you) if its level is less than or equal to the level of the spell slot you used.

kingcheesepants
2021-02-14, 08:05 AM
I've always been bothered by the lack of a greater phantom steed. So I'd add

Greater Phantom Steed
5th-level illusion (ritual)
Duration: 1 hour
A Large quasi-real, pegasuslike creature appears on the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice within range. You decide the creature's appearance, but it is equipped with a saddle, bit, and bridle. Any of the equipment created by the spell vanishes in a puff of smoke if it is carried more than 10 feet away from the steed.

For the duration, you or a creature you choose can ride the steed. The creature uses the statistics for a pegasus, except it has a speed of 120 feet and can travel 12 miles in an hour, or 16 miles at a fast pace. When the spell ends, the steed gradually fades, giving the rider 1 minute to dismount. The spell ends if you use an action to dismiss it or if the steed takes any damage.

I'd also like to add a longer duration version of magnificent mansion. I want one that I can actually live in and not just spend the night.

Wraith
2021-02-14, 08:10 AM
I'd also like to add a longer duration version of magnificent mansion. I want one that I can actually live in and not just spend the night.

That would be neat - maybe even just tweak the existing spell so that it becomes something like Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum or Teleportation Circle, so that it becomes permanent if you cast it every day for a year?

Ignis6669
2021-02-14, 10:24 AM
We're explicitly discarding balance, eh? Well then.

I don't know that we're "explicitly discarding balance". I mean, if the thought is for it to be published it should at least arguably be in the right-ish level, right? Plus or minus a bit I'm sure, because lots of people balance a bit differently in homebrew.

heavyfuel
2021-02-14, 10:35 AM
Probably something that gave Wizards something useful to do with their Bonus Action and also gave Warlocks something to do every round other than using EB. Also, something with a unique mechanic, because why now?

Here's what I came up with:

Whimsical Hexes

Level 3 Enchanment for Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

Casing Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Components: V, S, M (a pair of dice)
Duration: 1 minute

Effect: You conjure 3d6 multicolored orbs about an inch in diameter that erratically orbit around you for the duration. As a bonus action, you can let go of one orb, which strike at a random living enemy you can see within 60ft. The creature must suceed on a Wisdom saving throw or suffer a random effect. Roll 1d12 to determine the effect on the creature according to the table below.

d12 result - Effect
1 - Target is Blinded for 1 round.
2 - Target is Charmed for 1 round.
3 - Target takes 3d6 psychic damage and is Deafened for 1 round
4 - Target is Frightened for 1 round
5 - Target takes 3d6 psychic damage and is Incapacitated for 1 round
6 - Target is Paralysed for 1 round
7 - Target takes 3d6 psychic damage and feels sick (treat as the Poisoned condition) for 1 round
8 - Target takes 3d6 psychic damage and uses its Reaction, if available, to drop Prone
9 - Target takes 3d6 psychic damage and acts as if Restrained for 1 round
10 - Target is Stunned for 1 round
11 - Target sleeps, falling Unconscious for 1 round, until it takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake.
12 - Target feels fatigued, gaining one level of Exhaustion.

You can, as an action, make one orb dissipate harmlesly. If the duration expires and you still have orbs left, all of them simultaneously fly off, targetting random creatures (including yourself and your allies) in 60ft.

At higher level: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you conjure an additional 1d6 orbs for each slot level above 3rd. Addionally, you can launch one additional orb per bonus action for each slot level above 3rd, but a single enemy can only be targeted by one orb each turn.
While we are clearly not worrying about balance here, I do think this spell is weirdly balanced. No Concentration is definitely strong, but not being able to choose the target or the effect makes it considerably weaker. Plus you can't affect undead or constructs with it, making it less than ideal for some encoutners. And to top it all off, the potential of dealing damage to your allies and maybe even giving them Exhaustion levels makes it a spell you might not want to cast all the time.

Amnestic
2021-02-14, 11:19 AM
So yeah, a damaging spell that needs an attack roll or ability check; maybe one that does extra damage vs the subjects of spells like forbidance. Probably around level 5ish... or 4 if it upscales well. Something that as a cleric helps you feel that exorcising demons is actually part of your job description.

Bolt of Glory was an old classic that targeted nasties like that and doesn't yet seem to have been ported over to 5e, so lets do that.

Bolt of Glory
5th level Evocation

Components: V S M (a holy symbol)
Classes: Cleric, Paladin

You summon a bolt of radiant energy from the skies to strike at a single creature as a ranged spell attack. The bolt deals 6d12 radiant damage on a successful hit. This attack has Advantage against fiends, undead and aberrations, and the same creatures are Vulnerable to the damage taken. Celestial creatures are immune to this damage.

At higher levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, the damage die is increased by 1d12 for each level above 5th.

Segev
2021-02-14, 11:57 AM
This is a thing a beauty!
Thanks! Glad you like it!

I've always been bothered by the lack of a greater phantom steed. So I'd add

Greater Phantom Steed
5th-level illusion (ritual)
A Large quasi-real, pegasuslike creature appears on the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice within range. You decide the creature's appearance, but it is equipped with a saddle, bit, and bridle. Any of the equipment created by the spell vanishes in a puff of smoke if it is carried more than 10 feet away from the steed.

For the duration, you or a creature you choose can ride the steed. The creature uses the statistics for a pegasus, except it has a speed of 120 feet and can travel 12 miles in an hour, or 16 miles at a fast pace. When the spell ends, the steed gradually fades, giving the rider 1 minute to dismount. The spell ends if you use an action to dismiss it or if the steed takes any damage.

That would be neat - maybe even just tweak the existing spell so that it becomes something like Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum or Teleportation Circle, so that it becomes permanent if you cast it every day for a year?
For a longer duration magnificent mansion, there's demiplane: you have to build the mansion inside it, but you can connect the portal to your demiplane each time you cast it.

For greater phantasmal steed, I recommend looking at 3.5's spell, and cribbing the higher caster level effects by tying them to upcasting levels.

Or making a line of rituals. It is tricky to decide if one ritual that can be upcast if not used as a ritual is better than a line of ritual spells that can be used as rituals all the way up.

kingcheesepants
2021-02-16, 07:46 AM
For a longer duration magnificent mansion, there's demiplane: you have to build the mansion inside it, but you can connect the portal to your demiplane each time you cast it.

For greater phantasmal steed, I recommend looking at 3.5's spell, and cribbing the higher caster level effects by tying them to upcasting levels.

Or making a line of rituals. It is tricky to decide if one ritual that can be upcast if not used as a ritual is better than a line of ritual spells that can be used as rituals all the way up.

Yeah one can cast demiplane 16 times to get it the right size and then mighty fortress every week for a year and have basically the same thing as a long term magnificent mansion. But I'd rather do it with 1 spell and I really like the door for magnificent mansion too. With Demiplane you need to use up a level 7 (or 8 if casting demiplane itself) slot to plane shift if you want to go in or out of the place. Which is not exactly ideal for ease of use, especially if you have party members or other friendly folks that aren't high level wizards and are living there (or visiting) with you.

I took a look at the 3.5 version of phantom steed, given the way that 3.5 versions of spells scale with caster level, it does become way more useful as one levels up getting a longer duration, faster speed, actual HP, and the ability to ignore difficult terrain and eventually fly. I'd be totally okay with adding all of those things to the 5e version of phantom steed but honestly it would be overkill for a ritual and maybe a bit niche for a high level spell (depending on how long it lasted). Being able to fly without concentration and go super fast is really handy but I don't know that I'd want to use my only level 7 or 8 slot on it. So I think I'd stick to my improved over the 5e but toned down from 3.5e version of the spell.

Segev
2021-02-16, 02:27 PM
Yeah one can cast demiplane 16 times to get it the right size and then mighty fortress every week for a year and have basically the same thing as a long term magnificent mansion. But I'd rather do it with 1 spell and I really like the door for magnificent mansion too. With Demiplane you need to use up a level 7 (or 8 if casting demiplane itself) slot to plane shift if you want to go in or out of the place. Which is not exactly ideal for ease of use, especially if you have party members or other friendly folks that aren't high level wizards and are living there (or visiting) with you.You'd be using a level 7 spell slot each time you opened your door to your permanent kingcheesepants's permanent palace, assuming it was the same level as Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion. 8th, if higher level for being permanent.

For a little bit of work over a course of a few weeks, you can have your extraplanar permanent mansion. Yes, you need to cast a spell to get in and out of it, but you need that anyway. To get a door you can open and close without needing a spell slot, you'd need to create a magical item. Maybe a modified Bag of Holding, or a magic key that works in any lock to connect the portal it opens to your demiplane, or (cheaper) a specialized permanent teleportation circle that can expressly be reached from the Material Plane (or from any plane) but still takes use of another teleportation circle (depending on your DM's rulings, this will always require a 5th level spell slot).

I took a look at the 3.5 version of phantom steed, given the way that 3.5 versions of spells scale with caster level, it does become way more useful as one levels up getting a longer duration, faster speed, actual HP, and the ability to ignore difficult terrain and eventually fly. I'd be totally okay with adding all of those things to the 5e version of phantom steed but honestly it would be overkill for a ritual and maybe a bit niche for a high level spell (depending on how long it lasted). Being able to fly without concentration and go super fast is really handy but I don't know that I'd want to use my only level 7 or 8 slot on it. So I think I'd stick to my improved over the 5e but toned down from 3.5e version of the spell.The straight-forward way to do it would be to modify the existing phantom steed to have each of the higher-CL things tied to upcasting. Ritual still gets the sadly not very good version of the base casting.

A more involved way would be to make an actual chain of separate spells, each one a ritual. This is much more costly and almost defeats the purpose of having upcasting, though. :smallannoyed:

Nifft
2021-02-16, 03:42 PM
Hmm. Probably something to help clerics fight fiends. The two enemies I would expect a cleric to excel against are undead and fiends. Turn undead covers one adequately.
Clerics also have easier access to Radiant damage which is often extra-useful vs. Undead.

Against Fiends, hmm.

IMHO the best aesthetic would be to buff martial allies against Fiend-specific debuffs, allowing the mortals to defeat the foul supernatural enemies on a fair playing-field. That way it's both a mechanic which is inclusive to the party winning through team play, and also a nice distinction from Undead where the Cleric has too often historically just solved encounters solo.

I don't know that we're "explicitly discarding balance".
The quoted post in the OP does seem to indicate that we are doing so.

If you disagree, could you take it up with the OP?

Ignis6669
2021-02-16, 06:29 PM
The quoted post in the OP does seem to indicate that we are doing so.

If you disagree, could you take it up with the OP?

Huh. Look at that. Buried right in the middle. :smallannoyed: I stand corrected. :smallsmile:

Ogun
2021-02-17, 03:10 PM
This spell is to promote throwing stuff with your mind and actively encourages shenanigans with familiars, etc..

Yeet
Transmutation cantrip

Range: Special
A weapon in your possession is magically thrown at your target.
For the purposes of this spell, objects you control with mage hand or telekinesis count as being in your possession.
You gain proficiency bonuses to hit with improvised weapons thrown with this spell.
Make a ranged spell attack against the target.
Range is measured from your point of observation.
On a hit, the target is hit by the weapon, doing damage and other effects as if it were thrown.
Damage is modified by the casting stat.

At Higher Levels. The spell throws more than one object when you reach higher levels: two at 6th level, three at 12th level, and four beams at 18th level.
You can throw objects at the same target or at different ones.
Make a separate attack roll for each.

That last bit is rather much.

noob
2021-02-17, 05:13 PM
This spell is to promote throwing stuff with your mind and actively encourages shenanigans with familiars, etc..

Yeet
Transmutation cantrip

Range: Special
A weapon in your possession is magically thrown at your target.
For the purposes of this spell, objects you control with mage hand or telekinesis count as being in your possession.
You gain proficiency bonuses to hit with improvised weapons thrown with this spell.
Make a ranged spell attack against the target.
Range is measured from your point of observation.
On a hit, the target is hit by the weapon, doing damage and other effects as if it were thrown.
Damage is modified by the casting stat.

At Higher Levels. The spell throws more than one object when you reach higher levels: two at 6th level, three at 12th level, and four beams at 18th level.
You can throw objects at the same target or at different ones.
Make a separate attack roll for each.

That last bit is rather much.
A bit too strong in terms of damage.
(can deal heaps of nonmagical blunt or sharp or pierce)
And also kind of obsoletes catapult.

Ignis6669
2021-02-17, 08:00 PM
Just realized that I had posted in the original thread with this idea here.

If I were looking at something that I haven't seen before though, I would want to have a level 1 or 2 spell that would allow for a caster to replicate parts of the wildshape class feature. I mean, changing your shape is always powerful, and I get that, but it's also a staple of a LOT of fantasy novels. Maybe a level 1 spell that would allow for you to turn into one or two basic creatures and scales up the creatures you can become as you use higher level slots. And it would be a set list, not a "anything you can find in the manual that meets these requirements". Polymorph is a useful spell, but I find that most of it's strength comes from opening up the door to a wide variety of options. I might pitch something like

Level 1 spell slot: ______ or _______, where either creature is Max CR 1/4 with no swim or fly speed
Level 2 Spell Slot:______ or _______, where either creature is Max CR 1/2 with no swim or fly speed
Level 3 Spell Slot: ______ or _______, where either creature is Max CR 1 with no fly speed
Level 4 Spell Slot: ______ or _______, where either creature is Max CR 1

I'm terrible at creating my own things, especially the formatting, but the core is here. Other thoughts include: I would likely make this an exception to the "new HP for transforming" rule. and I would likely allow for it to be used on someone else (range touch) starting at a level 3 spell slot, To balance it back out.

Anyone have any thoughts on making that work?

MrStabby
2021-02-17, 08:46 PM
Hmm. I might slowly add a few here.

Maybe:

Persecute (paladin/ranger spell)

Level 3 Enchantment

Casting Time: 10 minutes
Duration: 8 hours

By meditating on the nature of your enemies you sense their weaknesses and how they might try and harm you. When you cast this spell chose a creatue type from aberation, beast, celestial, construct, dragon, elemental, fiend , giant, humanoid, monstrosity, ooze, plants,or undead. For the duration of the spell you score a critical hit on a roll of 18, 19 or 20 and you are immune to charm and fear effects as well as psychic damage from the chosen creature type.

With a 10 min casting time it isn't an in combat spell for casting but more a tool to reward you for good intelligence gathering/planning to help you face off against those really tough encounters. I figure that paladins and rangers get different things from this - paladins will care about fear effect immunity for all of one level but will benefit a bit more from the expanded crit range. Rangers will not be able to smite, but will benefit a bit more from the fear immunity.

Luccan
2021-02-17, 10:34 PM
I may have worded it poorly, it's meant to be hitting 3 squares total, including the initial target, so three creatures max if they all line up nicely for you.

I was using Word of Radiance (same damage die+type) as a comparison point and I think this is decent as an alternative without being noticeably stronger/weaker.
Comparison points:
-WoR hits more squares (8* vs. 3), but you have to be in melee range as opposed to 60'. On the other hand, Radiant Lance relies on positioning to get optimal value - you need to make sure enemies are in the right 'line' to get hit, and if they're not, it's value goes down. This is true for WoR as well, but hitting more squares makes it easier, especially if enemies clump up to hit you in melee.
-WoR is a con save, vs spell attack, but it's per-creature, rather than all-or-nothing like Radiant Lance, which makes WoR more reliable.
-WoR lets you avoid friendly fire, Radiant Lance doesn't. If Radiant Lance wanted a buff on review, that's the first change I'd make.

*more if you go vertical, I'm assuming flat gameplay here since that's how most encounters will be.

Fair points. I may do a test run of this next time I build a cleric or offer it to a player.

Ogun
2021-02-18, 08:17 PM
A bit too strong in terms of damage.
(can deal heaps of nonmagical blunt or sharp or pierce)
And also kind of obsoletes catapult.

Well, it is pretty much what I wanted Catapult to be...
The extra attacks are too much, for certain.
Only Eldrict Blast does anything like that and it's essentially a class feature.
The real limit on this is the need to throw away your weapon.
Most weapons would do improvised weapons damage when thrown, so a great sword still does 1d4.
So do arrows, rocks, and teapots.
But it looks cool, its magical and its another way to make weapons attacks with magic, meaning you can knock people out.

noob
2021-02-19, 08:47 AM
Well, it is pretty much what I wanted Catapult to be...
The extra attacks are too much, for certain.
Only Eldrict Blast does anything like that and it's essentially a class feature.
The real limit on this is the need to throw away your weapon.
Most weapons would do improvised weapons damage when thrown, so a great sword still does 1d4.
So do arrows, rocks, and teapots.
But it looks cool, its magical and its another way to make weapons attacks with magic, meaning you can knock people out.

You throw teapots?
What did they do to you?

Regardless with thrown weapons it can deal quite high damage and tanglefoot bags or thunder stones can be mixed in to have 2 save or suck effects at once.(or just throw acid vials and holy water flasks like a boring person)

Nifft
2021-02-19, 02:06 PM
You throw teapots?
What did they do to you?

Some people dislike being whistled at?

heavyfuel
2021-02-19, 02:55 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on making that work?

Unless I'm misunderstanding your goal, isn't that pretty much how Alter Self already works? I could see a stronger version for a higher level slot.

How's this:

Partial Shapeshift

5th level Transmutation for Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard

Casing Time: 1 action
Range: Personal

Effect: You assume a different form. When you cast the spell, choose one of the following options, the effects of which last for the duration of the spell. While the spell lasts, you can end one option as an action to gain the benefits of a different one.

Aerial Adaptation. You adapt your body to move in the air, sprouting wings and becoming lighter. You gain a fly speed equal to your walking speed.

Aquatic Adaptation. You adapt your body to an aquatic environment, sprouting gills and growing webbing between your fingers. You can breathe underwater and gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed.

Arachnid Adaptation. You grow an extra pair of legs similar to those of an arachnid, and your skin becomes chitinous and hard. You gain the ability to move up, down, and across vertical surfaces and upside down along ceilings, while leaving your hands free, and you also gain a climbing speed equal to your walking speed. Finally, while this effect is active your AC can’t be less than 16, regardless of what kind of armor you are wearing.

Draconic Adaptation. Your face sprouts a draconic looking snout of the appropriate color. Choose acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. While this effect lasts, you can use an action to exhale energy of the chosen type in a 15-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a Dexterity saving throw, taking 5d6 damage of the chosen type on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Natural Weapons. You grow claws, fangs, spines, horns, or a different natural weapon of your choice. Your unarmed strikes deal 2d6 bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, as appropriate to the natural weapon you chose, and you are proficient with your unarmed strikes. Finally, the natural weapon is magic and you have a +3 bonus to the attack and damage rolls you make using it.

Venomous Adaptation. You grow fangs or a stinger capable of administering venom. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 piercing damage and you are proficient with your unarmed strikes. Any creature that takes damage from this attack must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be poisoned. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Constitution saving throw. On a success, the target is no longer poisoned. On a failure, it takes 3d6 poison damage.

LumenPlacidum
2021-02-19, 06:52 PM
Affix
Cantrip transmutation (Artificer, Bard, Wizard)
Casting Time: 1 hour
Components: S, M (a bit of your own spittle, spat upon the face of the object which is to be affixed)
Duration: 1 day

You take one object that weighs no more than 10 pounds and that fits within a one-foot-cube and stick it to another object or surface. For the duration of the spell, the joint between the two objects is as strong as the materials from which the objects are made (the weaker one if they are of differing materials). You may have no more than two objects magically affixed to one another at any time. You may release the objects from the effects of this spell with an action.

At Higher Levels: At 5th level, you can apply this spell to up to ten objects at once, and the casting time drops to 10 minutes. At 11th level, you can apply this spell to up to fifty objects at once, and the casting time drops to 1 minute. At 17th level, you can apply this spell to up to any number of objects, and the casting time is one action.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many damn times is there nothing solid enough to tie your damn rope to?! Carry around a bunch of pulleys to attach to whatever surfaces, so that you can use simple machines to get things done. Make crafting faster. Attach manacled prisoners to the walls.

Oh, and let's really go nuts here:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinforce
3rd level transmutation (Artificer, Wizard)
Duration: Concentration, for up to 10 minutes, and for up to 1 day thereafter (see description below)

Touch an object or structure to reinforce its strength, making it resistant to bending, breaking, and damage. If you touch an object, then it must be a single contiguous item which must fit within a 50-foot-cube. If you touch a structure, then it needn't be a single contiguous object, but must be recognized as a single structure by the DM (i.e. a house, the castle wall, the wall and door between you and the minotaur). When you cast this spell, you may choose to concentrate on it, replacing the material's strength with the strength of your magic. While you concentrate on this spell, the object or structure being reinforced cannot take damage. Instead, at the end of each round, add up the total amount of damage that the object or structure would have taken (without factoring in the object or structure's resistances). In any round in which the object or structure took damage, you must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw to maintain your concentration on this spell. For every 30 points of damage that the object or structure would have taken (do not factor in the object or structure's resistances), the DC of the Constitution saving throw goes up by 1. If you fail this saving throw, then the spell ends with no further effect.

If you choose not to concentrate on this spell when you cast it, or if you spend an action while concentrating on it, you may leave a lingering aura of strength in the object or structure touched. It has a +2 bonus to AC and its current and maximum hitpoints are doubled for 24 hours. The object is noticeably more rigid, stronger, and harder for the duration, becoming able to support four times the load that it would otherwise have been able to support.

If the spell ends because you failed a Constitution saving throw, then you may not leave the lingering aura of strength.

At Higher Levels: If you cast this spell at a higher level, for every spell slot beyond 3rd, the amount of damage that is required to increase the DC of the Constitution saving throw goes up by 10 (i.e. if you cast this spell with a 4th level slot, the DC goes up by 1 for every 40 points of damage that the object or structure would have taken).

Rev666
2021-02-20, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure of full details but I've always wanted to see a spell that's basically a Final Fantasy limit break.

You cast the spell which has a 1 minute/until used non concentration duration and everytime you take a certain amount of damage (say every 10 points) you gain a "Limit Dice" and at the end of the duration or at a time of your choosing you can add all gathered Limit Dice to a damage roll.

Basically a damage taken based Delayed Blast Fireball.

Nifft
2021-02-21, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure of full details but I've always wanted to see a spell that's basically a Final Fantasy limit break.

You cast the spell which has a 1 minute/until used non concentration duration and everytime you take a certain amount of damage (say every 10 points) you gain a "Limit Dice" and at the end of the duration or at a time of your choosing you can add all gathered Limit Dice to a damage roll.

Basically a damage taken based Delayed Blast Fireball.

That sounds like an excellent Paladin or Barbarian class feature.

BigRedJedi
2021-02-22, 01:12 AM
True Strike
Cantrip evocation
Components: S, M (the melee weapon used to make an attack as part of this cantrip)

You brandish the weapon used in the spell’s casting and make a melee attack with it, with advantage, against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, treating the weapon's damage dice (only the weapon dice) as if you had rolled the maximum amount on those dice. On a critical strike, the critical damage dice are rolled as normal. This damage is treated as magical for purposes of overcoming damage resistance.

At Higher Levels: The damage dealt by this cantrip increases by +1d6 at 5th level, +2d6 at 11th level, and +3d6 at 17th level. This damage is treated as the same type of damage {bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing} as the weapon used to attack.

adb82
2021-02-23, 11:13 AM
Counterspell is fun, but I'd like to see it evolve. Wizards don't seem like the type to turn Fire Bolt into Fireball without doing something similar to other spells:

Reflect
5th level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction (Taken when you see another creature cast a spell which targets you)
Classes: Wizard, Sorcerer

You attempt to interfere in the process of another creature casting a spell, diverting it away from it's original target to elsewhere. If the creature is casting a spell of 5th level or lower and it targets you, you divert the spell and choose a new target within 30ft. If it is casting a spell of 6th level or higher, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a success, you divert the spell and choose a new target within 30ft.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, the interrupted spell is diverted to a new target (chosen by you) if its level is less than or equal to the level of the spell slot you used.

Yea thats what i was thinkig about too,
but also Counterattack is nice:

Counterattack (sort of shield evolution lol)

5th level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction (Taken when another creature hits you with a melee attack)
Range: 10 feet
Duration: 2 Rounds - Concentration
Classes: Wizard

You Create a magical force barrier that protects you from any phisical damage and hit anyone trying to hit you with their own power. When a creature hit you with a melee attack (including melee spell's attacks), you can spend your reaction to get +8 AC. If with the new AC the attack miss, you impose the attacker to roll a saving on Wis, on a failed save all the damages and any negative effetcs included in the attack will be carried by the attacker. On a succeful save, only half of the damage is carried by the attacker, and no other conditions provocated by the attack will affect him. The magic barrier last for 2 turns, but at the begininng of your next turn after cast it, the AC bonus become +4.

At Highter levels:

When you cast this spell with a spell slot of 6th lv of highter, you can target an additional creature in range (the attacker +1 more creature) other than the attacker for every spell slot above the 5th. They have to roll the WIS saving in the same way the attacker do, or be afflicted by the damage and all the conditions procured by the attack.

Nagog
2021-02-23, 11:25 AM
My Necromantic Theurgy Wizard invented this spell post-campaign:

Moze's Glass Casket:
3rd level Necromancy Spell
Components: V M (two silver pieces stamped with the emblem of a humanoid skull)
Duration: 8 hours or until triggered
Classes: Wizard, Cleric, Artificer

When this spell is cast on a creature, a spectral coffin surrounds the creature for 1 round as the spell takes effect. During this time, damaging the creature prevents the spell from being implemented. When implemented, the target creature is protected entirely from a single attack or effect, specified when casting the spell. If no attack or effect is specified, the spell will nullify the next attack or negative effect targeting the affected creature, at which point the spell ends.

When the targeted creature dies, either in combat or from natural causes, the effects nullified by this spell then take effect upon the creature's corpse.

Nagog
2021-02-23, 11:29 AM
Yea thats what i was thinkig about too,
but also Counterattack is nice:

Counterattack

5th level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction (Taken when another creature hits you with a melee attack)
Range: 10 feet
Classes: Wizard

You Create a magical force barrier that protects you from any phisical damage and hit anyone trying to hit you with their own power. When a creature hit you with a melee attack, you can spend your reaction to get +5 AC. If with the new AC the attack miss, you impose him a saving on Wis, on a failed save all the damages and any negative effetcs will be carried by the attacker. On a succeful save, only half of the damage is carried by the attacker, and no other conditions provocated by the attack will affect him. The magic barrier last till the beginning of your next turn.

At Highter levels:

When you cast this spell with a spell slot of 6th lv of highter, you can target an additional creature in range (the attacker +1 more creature) other than the attacker that have to roll the WIS saving in the same way, or be afflicted by the damage and all the conditions procured by the attack.

This seems relatively... weak, for a 5th level spell, mostly because it requires decent AC (so that a +5 is likely to cause a miss) and a failed Wisdom save in order to take full effect. Personally I'd set this at 3rd level, as it does have the potential to deal a TON of damage, but it's got a few hoops to jump through to get there.

adb82
2021-02-23, 11:35 AM
This seems relatively... weak, for a 5th level spell, mostly because it requires decent AC (so that a +5 is likely to cause a miss) and a failed Wisdom save in order to take full effect. Personally I'd set this at 3rd level, as it does have the potential to deal a TON of damage, but it's got a few hoops to jump through to get there.

i edited it somehow more powefull. :P
Now it give +8 ac, last 2 rounds after be casted as a reaction (so first round as a reaction, plus from the beninning of your next round till the beginning of your round after it), but in the second round the ac bonus is +4 and it require concentration.