PDA

View Full Version : Best Hexblade Invocations?

ChaseC311
2021-02-12, 11:04 AM
Im currently creating a Lizardfolk hexblade and im debating on what Invocations would be best suited for the build. I already have Thirsting Blade, Improved Pact Weapon and Eldritch Smite, and im looking to pick out the last invocation, as well as scope out which Invocations would be good at higher levels when I get more Invocations. Ideas include:

. Cloak of flies: A weak amount of poison damage in a small Area of affect, but its automatic damage, has an indefinite duration and grants advantage to intimidation
. Relentless Hex: A bit situational, but can definitely help follow a fleeing prey.
. Sculptor of Flesh: Polymorphs a really good spell, but with only 2 spell slots, it feels a bit too resource intensive. Especially with Eldritch Smite already on the character

Im also open to hearing other ideas for which invocation to grab. Any and all suggestions are always appreciated :)

heavyfuel
2021-02-12, 12:51 PM
I'd be inclined to take Agonizing Blast even on melee characters because every now and then you will have to make ranged attacks, and AB almost doubles your damage with EB once you have 20 Cha.

Sculptor of Flesh sucks with it being only 1/long rest AND costing and invocation slot AND costing a spell slot. Polymorph is good, but it's not worth all of that.

Cloak of Flies and Relentless Hex are both extremely "meh".

One With Shadows is really nice depending on the setting (it's amazing in dungeon crawlers, but not so good in open worlds).

Ghostly Gaze gives you an ability that no body else in the game will have. That alone makes it worth it.

Tomb of Levistus is pretty good for a frontliner. Use it when you think the enemy can break the ice, otherwise you're going to lose your next turn. Fire Giant about to crit you for 50 damage? Use it and hope the next attack manages to break it. If you can convince your DM to lower the Temp HP to, like, 7/level or 5/level, all the better as it makes the ice much easier to be broken and it makes you far less likely to lose a turn.

Evaar
2021-02-12, 12:57 PM
What weapon are you using?

Lifedrinker is a must when you get access to it.
Tomb of Levistus is very helpful, but bear in mind that using it will break your Concentration.
Less about Hexblade, but I've found Whispers of the Grave to be extremely useful outside of combat. Being high Charisma and having the ability to ask any corpse 5 questions has delivered a ton of information to our party. It's not even limited to humanoid corpses.
Agonizing Blast is still super helpful for those times you can't get into melee range, which are pretty likely to happen if your DM plays tactically at all.

In general, any invocation that just adds to your spells known (i.e. you can spend a spell slot to cast another spell) isn't worthwhile.

Hael
2021-02-12, 08:57 PM
Other than the usual and must have bladelock invocations (smite,life drinker, pact weapon,thirster) a few stand outs are devilsight (usually a must). Fiendish vigor (OP until lvl4 then useless and a swap out) and eldritch mind (con saves). Agonizing blast is also eventually worth it at high lvls.

Tomb is useful but tends to be hard to fit until late game.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-02-12, 09:56 PM
Forget about the ones that can only be used once per long rest, none of them are even worth considering.

Agonizing Blast for just in case you need to make ranged attacks.

Lifedrinker adds your Cha bonus to your weapon damage again as necrotic damage.

Maddening Hex lets you deal your Cha bonus in damage to your hex target and each enemy within 5 feet of it as a bonus action whenever you hit it with an attack.

Visions of Distant Realms is a decent high level invocation for added utility.