PDA

View Full Version : Need help creating grappler or Shapshift Druid

Enochi
2007-11-08, 03:14 AM
I need help creating a new character. I would prefer him to be a good grappler if it can be done using only PH, and PH II as those are all that is allowed. If a good grapple can't be made using just those sources I would like to make a Shapeshift Druid instead I am looking for good builds. Thank you for your time.

tyckspoon
2007-11-08, 03:40 AM
The simplest, most effective grappler in those restrictions is a standard druid. Take Improved Grapple. Wildshape into the largest, strongest thing you can. Proceed to grapple- it's helpful if the form chosen has Improved Grab. Spells, other feats, magic items.. everything else is just enhancement.

Overlard
2007-11-08, 08:00 AM
Yep, there are few things as effective in grappling as a wild-shaped druid. They've got it all: size, strength, natural weapons and a decent BAB. Add Improved Grapple for extra insurance, and there are few enemies that should be able to out-grapple you.

Awetugiw
2007-11-08, 08:08 AM
And change into things with swallow whole.

Like a tendriculous at level 15. It may not be that good a choice, but eating your enemies is something any druid should try to do.

Person_Man
2007-11-08, 09:42 AM
First, read the Rules Compendium excerpt on grappling. It's somewhere on the WotC site. It clears up the fact that you can make a Grapple check with each attack. So if you successfully Grapple an enemy, you can then use the rest of your attacks to make additional Grapple checks to deal more damage, pin him, or whatever.

For feats, take Combat Focus + Combat Vigor + Combat Stability, all from PHBII.

After you hit someone in combat, you gain +4 to your Will Save, Fast Healing 4, and +8 to resist any bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, and trip attempts made against you. This won't help you in your Grapple attacks. But once your enemy is Grappled, he must make a Grapple attempt(s) in order to escape or hurt you in some way. With these feats, he's basically screwed.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-11-08, 09:04 PM
Edit Druid - 20 (missed the source restriction initially and posted a Planar Shepherd build).