PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How to build a Twilight Domain Cleric of Exandria's Moonweaver?

DarkMoon250
2021-02-12, 03:23 PM
I'm playing my first ever character on the continent of Marquet in CR's world of Exandria. I've chosen to play a Twilight Cleric in service to the Moonweaver. My rolls have provided me with the following- 15, 14, 14, 16, 10, 12. We start at level 3.

I know the Twilight Cleric is meant to be a frontliner, what with the heavy armor, martial weapons and auras, and I'm not uninterested in this playstyle, but considering the Moonweaver is also the god of illusion and misdirection, this feels a bit too 'in your face.' Plus, heavy armor gets in the way of stealth, which would be a rather thematic skill, and add on that Booming Blade, the cantrip that allows melee Cleric builds to work, uses the sound-based thunder damage for it's strikes, this makes it rather difficult to keep to my deity's realm of secrecy.

This all might make it sound like Trickery Cleric is more up my alley... NO. I've read the subclass description and features, and I don't like it. Gimme the Twilight Cleric's shadowy goodness any day of the week.

Is there any way to piece all of this together, or are there other aspects of the Moonweaver's essence I should focus on instead in order to make a thematic and fun-to-play Twilight Cleric?

Chronic
2021-02-12, 10:39 PM
Nothing prevent you to play a mid-range cleric. You don't need heavy armor, which require a 15 in strength when you can get a good ac with medium armor, which require a 14 to cap the ac, and will allow you to be better at stealth. Also later if you can get a mithral plate armor you'll get the best of both world. And it's not that expensive. Getting one by level 6 or 7 is appropriate in terms of balance. You don't get potent cantrip the cleric alternate feature is fairly good still, and twilight cleric do not have access to booming Blade anyway. Truth is, melee cleric are fairly MAD without specific builds, and without potent cantrip and booming Blade your attack will be unimpressive and most of your damage will come form spells such as spirit weapon and guardian, which require to be in close range but not in melee.
However you have a better stat array than normal so it isn't a major problem either, you could be decent at melee on top of being high wisdom and taking feats.

Anyway feel free to go dex, pick up a bow and go sneaking under the moonlight. I've gone dex and medium armor with mine, and I don't regret it.

Unoriginal
2021-02-12, 10:50 PM
I'm playing my first ever character on the continent of Marquet in CR's world of Exandria. I've chosen to play a Twilight Cleric in service to the Moonweaver. My rolls have provided me with the following- 15, 14, 14, 16, 10, 12. We start at level 3.

I know the Twilight Cleric is meant to be a frontliner, what with the heavy armor, martial weapons and auras, and I'm not uninterested in this playstyle, but considering the Moonweaver is also the god of illusion and misdirection, this feels a bit too 'in your face.' Plus, heavy armor gets in the way of stealth, which would be a rather thematic skill, and add on that Booming Blade, the cantrip that allows melee Cleric builds to work, uses the sound-based thunder damage for it's strikes, this makes it rather difficult to keep to my deity's realm of secrecy.

This all might make it sound like Trickery Cleric is more up my alley... NO. I've read the subclass description and features, and I don't like it. Gimme the Twilight Cleric's shadowy goodness any day of the week.

Is there any way to piece all of this together, or are there other aspects of the Moonweaver's essence I should focus on instead in order to make a thematic and fun-to-play Twilight Cleric?

I would go for the classic stage magician trick : you're the loud, in-your-face obvious one... so that those you want to fool are distracted from what operate discreetly.

Otherwise, yours is a rare character who would benefit from the Medium Armor Master feat.