PDA

View Full Version : Slasher stacking

Scarytincan
2021-02-12, 07:41 PM
So the crusher and slasher feats both have a once per turn caveat, but not once per round. Until now I've been of the impression that like crusher, this meant you could apply the effect once on your turn, and then again on an opportunity attack or an ally could as well etc. Seems to check out just fine for crusher, and for piercer rerolls, I would almost feel bad to see it applied otherwise to slasher.

However it has been brought to my attention that the rules of stacking effects may apply. I've always thought of that more for things involving conditions and die rolls, especially considering difficult terrain can stack, and stack with speed reductions to boot.

Thoughts?

MrCharlie
2021-02-12, 08:11 PM
So the crusher and slasher feats both have a once per turn caveat, but not once per round. Until now I've been of the impression that like crusher, this meant you could apply the effect once on your turn, and then again on an opportunity attack or an ally could as well etc. Seems to check out just fine for crusher, and for piercer rerolls, I would almost feel bad to see it applied otherwise to slasher.

However it has been brought to my attention that the rules of stacking effects may apply. I've always thought of that more for things involving conditions and die rolls, especially considering difficult terrain can stack, and stack with speed reductions to boot.

Thoughts?
In general if something has a duration then you can't combine it with itself.

Difficult terrain does not stack. You are either in difficult terrain or you are not. If something makes it difficult terrain and another thing makes it difficult terrain, it's still just difficult terrain. The fact that multiple things make it difficult terrain only matters if a creature ignores some of them-as long as there is at least one unignored cause of difficult terrain, it's still difficult terrain.

What does stack is other abilities that halve movement, because they are completely different abilities.

In general things like crusher aren't affected by this because it has no duration to the movement. You're moved, that's the end of the story. Piercer is the same.

In general it's not a balance concern because slasher is a fine ability on its own-piercer is trash (the damage every turn is miniscule and the crit effect mediocre) and crusher is great. Slasher is in between these-speed reduction is likely to not matter, but when it does it's a huge effect. Some builds like Swashbuckler/fighters will love this ability, others won't care. And you can still use it, just on multiple targets versus one.

stoutstien
2021-02-12, 08:34 PM
Slasher +prone is a good way to double up on the speed reduce.

While DT doesn't stack you can use it on top of one of the 1/4 movements reduction effects with multiple different types of movement reduction as well. So slasher and lance of lethargy do stack. Usually it only takes two of the options to lock down a target inside the space you want them like the inside of a Sicking radiance.

Scarytincan
2021-02-12, 08:42 PM
Hm. Upon closer inspection, it would appear my notion of terrain stacking comes from plant growth having different wording other than difficult terrain, opening it up to stack.

Ultimately, I think that RAW and technicality would favor the no stacking.

Ultimately, I think it wouldn't break things one bit to allow it in this case, and so I probably would, personally.

Hytheter
2021-02-12, 11:04 PM
Letting Slasher stack with itself isn't a big deal when you need to squeeze out reactions to make it work. Could be more problematic if you have multiple characters in the party with the feat, though.