PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Small party/no party build. Or, I can do everything a party takes 4 people to do.

Jon talks a lot
2021-02-12, 09:05 PM
I have spent the entire day brewing up a build (I only use the PHB) that is supposed to be a solo game (you and the gm) character. My initial thought was a warlock with darkness/way of shadows monk multiclass to teleport around the battlefield and never get hit. Slowly, it morphed into something else entirely. Since I don't have any party members, I needed healing, damage, and good tactics in order to stay alive, let alone win. So without further ado, I present my build:

Race: Drow (+2 dex, +1 Charisma)
Class(es): Rogue 4, Fighter 6, Monk 6, Paladin 4.
Progression: Rogue 3, Monk 6, Paladin 2, Fighter 6, Paladin 4, Rogue 4.
Point Buy stats: 8 strength, 14 Dex, 12 con, 10 intelligence, 15 wisdom, 13 charisma.
ASI's: Max out dex, then wisdom, +1 charisma.
Subclass: Rogue, Assassin. Fighter, Champion. Monk, Way of the Shadows. Paladin, Oath of Devotion (This can be changed).
AC: 20 (monk feature)
Speed: 45ft (also monk feature)
Weapons:
Rapier, highest damaging Finesse Weapon
Quarterstaff, monk weapon
Light Crossbow, Ranged
Ki: 6
Spells (Paladin): 3 slots, 5 known.
Cure Wounds (healing)
Command (Our only way to control the battlefield)
Protection from Good and Evil (best oath of devotion spell)
Shield of Faith (pre-combat casting for a nice 22 ac is good)
Thunderous Smite (I needed one more spell and I like this more than wrathful smite)

Logic:
The underlying strategy is still leveraging darkness to our advantage. We can do this in two ways. First, the drow magic racial ability gives us one cast of darkness per long rest. Second, way of the shadows monk gives us darkness by spending 2 ki, so an extra 3 casts per long rest. Drow racial ability of Superior dark vision. We can leverage darkness with shadow step, and sneak attack. We essentially get Perma sneak attack on anyone in a 15-foot radius, as well as just having the perks of advantage at all times. The archetype is assassin because surprise can be achieved through darkness (dm fiat) and because it's just better for this strategy. Fighter is here for three major reasons. First, action surge. Second, another extra attack. Third, Champion archetype. A lot of this build revolves around crit fishing for maximum damage, and champion gives improved critical. A common fight scene with this build will be cast darkness for advantage. Sneak attack with monk weapon for 1d6+2d6 and if you crit, which is a 14 or higher with improved critical plus a +5 dexterity modifier, that's double damage, and then you are going to want to add another 2d8 for smite coming out to 2(1d6+2d6+2d8) and 1d4 unarmored strike bonus action with martial arts (monk feature). Then you still have 2 extra attacks AND an action surge if you want to use it. Next, mobility. Our movement speed, because we are unarmored, is 45 feet. We also have cunning action to dash with. AND we have shadow step if there is any more darkness in a dungeon then we get a free teleport as well. In terms of healing, we have very good healing capabilities. There is second wind from fighter. Lay on Hands and Cure Wounds from Paladin. We can also prevent a lot of damage with some key monk abilities. Primarily deflect missiles and slow fall.

Now, is this the best build possible? No, not at all. However, this is very powerful as a do-everything character for either small parties or no party (solo). It wouldn't be good to play this in a larger party (4 or more) because you would be trying to fulfil everyone's role. Additionally, the primary strategy used is not something very compatible with other players unless they also have a way to see through darkness (superior dark vision and devil's sight).

JNAProductions
2021-02-12, 09:11 PM
You can't multiclass into Paladin without 13 Strength.

Now, I and many other DMs have nothing against Dexadins, so I can see waiving that requirement. But, if you're trying to stick as close to the rules as possible... That's a hole in it.

Jon talks a lot
2021-02-12, 09:41 PM
You can't multiclass into Paladin without 13 Strength.

Now, I and many other DMs have nothing against Dexadins, so I can see waiving that requirement. But, if you're trying to stick as close to the rules as possible... That's a hole in it.

Oh, thank you for pointing that out. I honestly forgot. I'll have to do some reworking I guess. What do you think about the build itself? Is it weak, middle, or strong?

JNAProductions
2021-02-12, 09:48 PM
Levels 1-3, you're a Rogue. Admittedly, the crappiest of Rogues (Assassin) and you have light sensitivity, which is real bad for anyone, but still a Rogue.

Then you enter Monk at level 4, missing out an ASI, and gaining very little in recompense. Your unarmored AC is equal to Studded Leather, you can't Sneak Attack with your fists...

You don't get your first ASI till level 7, and don't get Extra Attack till level 8. That's gonna hurt.

And then you go Paladin, which as mentioned above, is against the rules.

Also, your Con is real low for an adventurer, ESPECIALLY a solo one.

Oh, also, Darkvision doesn't let you see through Darkness.

Jon talks a lot
2021-02-12, 09:52 PM
Oh, also, Darkvision doesn't let you see through Darkness.

Drow racial feature: Superior Dark Vision, allows you to see through magical darkness according to RAW PHB.

Your other points are all pretty accurate though. I might have to change the progression around as well. I don't really know what to do about Con being low though.

borg286
2021-02-12, 09:53 PM
If you're looking for a build that can wear any hat check out the Aberrant Mind sorlock in my sig to see another opinion on how to tackle that problem.

Jon talks a lot
2021-02-12, 09:53 PM
No I'm an idiot. Superior darkvision doesn't see through magical darkness. Crap, this character is useless trash.

*Sigh* Back to the drawing board.

Jon talks a lot
2021-02-12, 09:54 PM
If you're looking for a build that can wear any hat check out the Aberrant Mind sorlock in my sig to see another opinion on how to tackle that problem.

I would, except my group only uses PHB, which makes my task very frustrating.

JNAProductions
2021-02-12, 10:08 PM
No I'm an idiot. Superior darkvision doesn't see through magical darkness. Crap, this character is useless trash.

*Sigh* Back to the drawing board.

If you're stuck with the PHB only, your only option for piercing magical darkness is Devil's Sight, from a Warlock two-level dip.

Jon talks a lot
2021-02-12, 10:20 PM
If you're stuck with the PHB only, your only option for piercing magical darkness is Devil's Sight, from a Warlock two-level dip.

Alas, back to my original design philosophy. I think I have given up on this build. I'm in the process of a fighter hexadin instead. I'll probably post it once I finish.

MaxWilson
2021-02-12, 11:03 PM

Or True Seeing, a 6th level spell, or Druid Wildshape into a form with blindsight like the Giant Scorpion or Giant Constrictor Snake.

Greywander
2021-02-12, 11:35 PM
Fighter is here for three major reasons. First, action surge. Second, another extra attack.
You're aware that Extra Attack does not stack, right?

I know you had to scrap the build because drow can't see through magical darkness, but I thought I should point this out, too.