PDA

View Full Version : Lolth Familiar - Cat-sized spider

Cikomyr2
2021-02-13, 12:04 AM
So, how would you stat a spider familiar for warlocks? The idea of a giant spider familiar following my warlock around is just so freaky.

Greywander
2021-02-13, 12:22 AM
Well, both cats and spiders are Tiny creatures, so...

But if you mean a chainlock familiar that is competitive with other chainlock options, then that's going to be a little trickier. Maybe start with the imp as a base and swap flight for spiderclimb and darkvision for blindsight. Maybe add a short range teleport between areas of dim light or darkness, like the Shadow monk. Remove the shapeshifting and some of the damage resistances/immunities.

JoeJ
2021-02-13, 12:31 AM
The stat block for a tiny (same size category as a cat) spider is in the MM. Interesting, it's already one of the choices that Find Familiar allows.

It's speed is only 20' though, so instead of following you arround you might want to have it ride on your shoulder.

Magicspook
2021-02-13, 04:36 AM
I'd start from the boggle (volo's) since that one has most of the things you want: spider climb, sticky oil (webbing), grapple advantage, and as a previous user suggested, a short-range teleport. Then swap out some stuff that doesn't fit.

JackPhoenix
2021-02-13, 07:07 AM
Imp can shapechange into a spider, keeping all its statistics, except speed.

Segev
2021-02-13, 12:25 PM
It is noteworthy that Tiny is the smallest size category, and thus a Monster Manual spider can be anywhere from house cat sized to tarantula sized to the tiny house spider of europe and russia, which can be less than 2mm in diameter.

So the spider stat in the MM gives us quite the range of possibilities.

For a warlock of Lolth, though, I would get a "tiny yochlol" that is mechanically a quasit, but whose natural form is a tiny sludge pillar and has a bludgeoning slam rather than a piercing claws attack, and who turns into a spider (any kind of any Tiny size) instead of a centipede.

Millstone85
2021-02-13, 07:04 PM
For a warlock of Lolth, though, I would get a "tiny yochlol" that is mechanically a quasit, but whose natural form is a tiny sludge pillar and has a bludgeoning slam rather than a piercing claws attack, and who turns into a spider (any kind of any Tiny size) instead of a centipede.The bat form would be reflavored as a drow-like sprite with a poison-coated shortsword. The speeds even match. As for the toad form, it would now be a diving bell spider.