PDA

View Full Version : Is there a valid/legal way to get the SCAGtrips as cleric cantrips for a Light cleric

Telwar
2021-02-13, 05:03 PM
As per the subject line...any ideas on how I could get a SCAGtrip (Booming Blade or its ilk) as a cleric cantrip for a Light cleric to get that sweet, sweet double dip on +Wis damage?

I'm working on the idea no, but figured I'd ask.

Failing that...we really do need a nice melee cantrip for clerics.

Cikomyr2
2021-02-13, 05:06 PM
As per the subject line...any ideas on how I could get a SCAGtrip (Booming Blade or its ilk) as a cleric cantrip for a Light cleric to get that sweet, sweet double dip on +Wis damage?

The obvious way is the Arcana domain cleric, that adds wizard cantrips as cleric cantrip. But I am unsure what you mean by double dip.

OldTrees1
2021-02-13, 05:32 PM
The obvious way is the Arcana domain cleric, that adds wizard cantrips as cleric cantrip. But I am unsure what you mean by double dip.

Are they trying to do Shillelagh, Green Flame Blade (Arcane Cleric 1), & Potent Spellcasting (Arcane Cleric 8)?
1d8+Wis Magical Bludgeoning
1d8(+Wis Fire?) Fire damage (assuming Tier 2)
with 1d8+2xWis fire damage to the adjacent enemy

However, outside of very specific classes / subclasses, whenever you borrow a spell it keeps its Int/Wis/Cha setting. Magic Initiate for example does not convert it to Wis. This is why Cikomyr2 mentioned Arcana Cleric rather than a way for a Light Cleric to get it as Wis based.

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-02-13, 06:26 PM

Besides the Magic Initiate Feat mentioned by the other poster, my other thought was the 1/2 Sun/ Moon Elf Variant which is also SCAG which keeps it AL legal and also can provide the +1 Wis you are probably looking for.

heavyfuel
2021-02-13, 06:33 PM
If you could get a SCAG Cantrip, couldn't you also get Eldritch Blast?

I'm imagining a Cleric/Warlock character that maxxes out Wis and Cha and deals d10+10 per Eldritch Blast ray :smallamused:

Naanomi
2021-02-13, 06:33 PM
Not as a Light Cleric and Cleric Cantrip, no. You can get access to it a variety of ways, but not when it is both of those things

LudicSavant
2021-02-13, 06:44 PM

Nah, there's no way to get it as a Cleric cantrip while remaining Light domain.

You can, however, get the Blessed Strikes Tasha Variant which doesn't care about whether it's a Cleric cantrip or not (though it won't double dip). Then you just pick it up from being a Half-High-Elf or Aberrant Dragonmark or something.

Kessel
2021-02-13, 07:36 PM
if you were a high elf you'd get a wizard cantrip.

LudicSavant
2021-02-13, 07:57 PM
if you were a high elf you'd get a wizard cantrip.

Which is why you use it with Blessed Strikes. As I just explained.

OldTrees1
2021-02-13, 11:09 PM
You can, however, get the Blessed Strikes Tasha Variant which doesn't care about whether it's a Cleric cantrip or not (though it won't double dip). Then you just pick it up from being a Half-High-Elf or Aberrant Dragonmark or something.

But 1d8 is an upgrade until you hit Wis 20. Surely they want the the +4 instead of the +1d8.

Kessel
2021-02-14, 12:09 AM
Which is why you use it with Blessed Strikes. As I just explained.

serves me right for reading from my phone, apologies.

Telwar
2021-02-16, 12:43 PM
Thanks, folks! Pity that melee clerics don't get love with cantrips.

Willie the Duck
2021-02-16, 12:57 PM
Thanks, folks! Pity that melee clerics don't get love with cantrips.

Melee clerics do fine. A Nature Cleric that picks up Booming Blade or Arcana Cleric that picks up Shillelagh does just fine (for a specific set of goals). It is non-Arcana clerics with Potent Spellcasting as their 8th level ability which lose out.

That said, melee clerics are a niche application that works really really well for groups that want a lot of encounters per day, or otherwise has uses for the cleric's spells other than combat. Otherwise, IMO the optimal build/strategy for clerics is Resilient:Con, War Caster, and maxing Wisdom, and then rocking the Spirit Guardians/Spiritual Weapon/cantrip-or-dodge tactic. Of course, you might enjoy being the SCAGtrip-cleric more, in which case honestly I'd suggest Tempest cleric, who can also maximize their Booming Blade damage 1-2 times per SR.