PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Find Steed & Blur?

Citadel97501
2021-02-13, 11:46 PM
Hello all, I was wondering how you all feel about Find Steed + Blur? I was recently watching a Genie Warlock (Marid) build that used Blur to increase their tankiness and it got me thinking about combining it with Find Steed for another method of improving defense & offense. So I thought I would ask your opinions?

Anymage
2021-02-14, 12:41 AM
Blur has the problem that it's useless if you aren't getting hit, but that if you are getting hit you're putting your concentration on the line. Plus of course the part where concentrating on Blur means not concentrating on something more impactful.

Find Steed isn't bad, but is only so-so on scaling. Especially given that you're looking at minimum eighth level to pull this off (fifth to know a second level paladin spell, third to know a second level spell as a sorcerer or warlock) and a warhorse is not going to be a combat powerhouse at that level. And while Find Greater Steed can get you a more relevant mount, the levels that it comes on line for means that sinking your concentration into a second level spell is an even greater opportunity cost.

So it's a cute trick, but not all that impressive in actual play.

Valmark
2021-02-14, 02:58 AM
Blur doesn't increase tankiness- it reduces it while improving survivability.

To tank something you need to give it a reason to attack you, not actively turn them away. Occupying your Concentration to be harder to hit does the latter, making you less threatening and more of an hassle to deal with.

As far as the actual combo goes... Eh. It's a lot of cost to get Blur and Find Steed together and it does nothing for your offense (in fact, it's kinda the opposite- you're concentrating so you can't use other Concentration spells) while at best making your Steed take two hits instead of one to go down. If you want to defend the mount you'd be better off with non-conc buffs like Armor of Agathys, Mirror Image or others.

Blur has the problem that it's useless if you aren't getting hit, but that if you are getting hit you're putting your concentration on the line. Plus of course the part where concentrating on Blur means not concentrating on something more impactful.

Find Steed isn't bad, but is only so-so on scaling. Especially given that you're looking at minimum eighth level to pull this off (fifth to know a second level paladin spell, third to know a second level spell as a sorcerer or warlock) and a warhorse is not going to be a combat powerhouse at that level. And while Find Greater Steed can get you a more relevant mount, the levels that it comes on line for means that sinking your concentration into a second level spell is an even greater opportunity cost.

So it's a cute trick, but not all that impressive in actual play.

I mean, tecnically a Lore Bard can get it by level 6... Blowing both their Magical Secrets.

I have an hard time thinking that somebody would do it.

MaxWilson
2021-02-14, 08:27 AM
As far as the actual combo goes... Eh. It's a lot of cost to get Blur and Find Steed together and it does nothing for your offense (in fact, it's kinda the opposite- you're concentrating so you can't use other Concentration spells) while at best making your Steed take two hits instead of one to go down. If you want to defend the mount you'd be better off with non-conc buffs like Armor of Agathys, Mirror Image or others.

It's not hard to get Find Steed and Blur together. Paladorcs (e.g. Paladin 6/Sorc 3) often want Blur anyway. That it helps the steed out at the same time is just a fringe benefit.

Personally I'm probably more likely though to delay Sorc 2-3 until after Pal 9/Sorc 1 than take it right after Pal 6/Sorc 1, so it's kind of a higher-level thing. That way I get Aura of Vitality online sooner.