PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales I've waited for this encounter for a third of a century

Jay R
2021-02-14, 01:20 AM
In tonight’s game, we’ve been facing an enemy who sets traps – summoned monsters disguised with illusions as innocuous objects – a table, a tree, etc.

The result is that we just fought and slew ...

... a gazebo.

Really.

[In an earlier encounter, we were attacked in a surprise round, because we didn't fear the table until it attacked us. In fact, it attacked my character as I was searching it for secret compartments. But when we saw an innocuous gazebo, our cleric, said, in fun, "A gazebo! I rush up and attack it." So we got the surprise round.]

Pex
2021-02-14, 03:01 AM
Nice.

Recently I did something I never did before and often hate when others do it. I looted the room while in combat. Technically combat was over. There were no more enemies in the immediate area, and we were trapped in a magical component storage area. Other party members were trying to get us out, and the DM was still tracking rounds. When it was my turn with no enemy to fight and no means to help our escape at that particular moment, I took the opportunity to loot the various components. Poor Investigation roll meant not getting anything expensive, but I did manage to collect 390 gp worth of stuff. The party approved of my actions. Next round I was able to contribute meaningfully in our escape and did so.

Nifft
2021-02-16, 04:10 PM
In tonight’s game, we’ve been facing an enemy who sets traps – summoned monsters disguised with illusions as innocuous objects – a table, a tree, etc. Was it a wandering monster table?

I really hope it was.

The result is that we just fought and slew ...

... a gazebo.

Really.

[In an earlier encounter, we were attacked in a surprise round, because we didn't fear the table until it attacked us. In fact, it attacked my character as I was searching it for secret compartments. But when we saw an innocuous gazebo, our cleric, said, in fun, "A gazebo! I rush up and attack it." So we got the surprise round.]
Did the illusion mean it was a placebo gazebo?

Coventry
2021-02-16, 09:42 PM
To continue appropriately, the former Gazebo should decide to roll up some new type of building and come back to attack the party - maybe a as Bungalow, Quonset, Yurt, Manse or Hostel?

Pex
2021-02-17, 12:29 AM
To continue appropriately, the former Gazebo should decide to roll up some new type of building and come back to attack the party - maybe a as Bungalow, Quonset, Yurt, Manse or Hostel?

Definitely a Hostel and be amused when you say "It's a hostel" a player thinks you said "It's hostile" and immediately attacks.

Missing Gnome
2021-02-17, 01:51 PM
This reminds me of a post I read on this forum several years ago...

The story of Gazebo Jones the Warforged Drunken Master/Thrall of Jubilex...

3.0/3.5 were some crazy times

John Campbell
2021-02-18, 07:58 PM
Once, in the wilds of Virginia, I had a random encounter with a WANDERING GAZEBO:
http://www.ci-n.com/~jcampbel/images/photos/gazebo.jpg

Later, somewhere around Wilkes-Barre, I encountered a dire gazebo, but I was driving and didn't get a picture of that one.