PDA

View Full Version : Magic items not designed for adventurers

Danielqueue1
2021-02-14, 01:07 PM
So I am building a high magic campaign, but I want to play magic items a little differently. Magic items will be all over the place, but they mostly are not designed with adventuring in mind. In this campaign, magically reinforcing an item against damage is difficult. Having a weapon know when to apply extra Force is even trickier. (A flawed magic weapon could apply extra force on a feint throwing off the real attack.)

So after defeating the pirates and their wizard leader, the party loots their weapons and coin, they take the brooch of shielding off the wizard and standard stuff. But they also get the magic thermos and collapsable chair from the small alchemy set up and if they are looking closely, they may find the magic weighted dice (feel like normal dice until the command word is spoken) one pirate was using to cheat the others out of their shares.

I am looking for minor magic items that would be used in setting that are not "joke items" (wand of scowling I'm looking at you) things that normal not adventuring people would like to have, but also an adventurer could use too. The fighter can have delicious hot soup in the frozen mountains because they picked the magic thermos off those pirates 8 sessions ago and filled it up at the nice inn they were at last session.

I have many ideas, but I am looking to fill a d100 table with them so I could use some help from other perspectives.

Galithar
2021-02-14, 01:25 PM
Items/clothing that self clean or clean target creature/object a la Prestidigitation.
Musical instruments that play themselves.
A saddle that packs down into a small pack. When you set it on a horses back and say the command word it expands and equips to the horse instantly. Anyone who's done any riding knows how much time amd effort that would save.
A chess board that moves the pieces for you through voice commands. IE "Bishop to e7" and the piece moves to the dictated position.

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-14, 01:35 PM
Number 63. A deck of cards that, if you know the command word, allows you (the dealer) to see through design on the top of the top card such that you know the value (jack of clubs, for example) of any card that you deal to any player in the game. :smallwink: If you are gonna use magic to cheat, don't hold it down to just dice.

Number 74. Same as above, except a higher rarity. When using the second command word, the cards become thrown finesses weapons (magical) that do 2d4 damage on a hit. (On a hit, though, the card is destroyed) (Inspiration was Twisted Fate from League of Legends)

Danielqueue1
2021-02-14, 01:39 PM
Items/clothing that self clean or clean target creature/object a la Prestidigitation.
Musical instruments that play themselves.
A saddle that packs down into a small pack. When you set it on a horses back and say the command word it expands and equips to the horse instantly. Anyone who's done any riding knows how much time amd effort that would save.
A chess board that moves the pieces for you through voice commands. IE "Bishop to e7" and the piece moves to the dictated position.

Oh yeah, auto-fitting saddle is definitely already on the list. I also have insta-drying boots. I like the chess and instruments, would you do the instruments like a music box, only has one sing loaded? Or more like "auto-bard"

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-14, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah, auto-fitting saddle is definitely already on the list. I also have insta-drying boots. I like the chess and instruments, would you do the instruments like a music box, only has one sing loaded? Or more like "auto-bard"

Or like the game Guitar Hero? :smallcool:

Mellack
2021-02-14, 02:05 PM
A few things that have already been made for the game that are incredibly useful :

Robe of useful items. It is like carrying a swiss army knife.
Sustaining Spoon. Emergency food.
Continual light. Technically a permanent spell not a magic item, but very useful.
Flying Broom/carpet/winged boots. Easy travel.
Immovable rod.
Pocket tent.
Alchemist Jug.
Ring of warmth.
Bag of holding
Hat of disguise. Any outfit you desire, anytime.
Decanter of endless water.

Sigreid
2021-02-14, 02:08 PM
A plough that moves itself along thus not needing a horse.
An animated spinning wheel that spins wool into yarn/thread on it's own.
A magical auto-loom
A mood ring that changes color if you have sex.
A magical "magnet" that attracts stones for picking stones out of the farmer's field.
A set of tiles that can be used to create a greenhouse, generating enough warmth and light for year round growing of either food or herbs.
A pedestal with small disks that you place the disk on the pedestal and watch a magical playback of a play or other performance.
A ledger that magically accurately keeps track of your taxes owed and paid.
A doorframe that dispels magical disguises on people passing through it.
A flower pot that magically keeps the plant in it fertilized and watered.
A sundial that generates it's won light such that it functions perfectly well day or night.

I could go on all day.

Danielqueue1
2021-02-14, 02:15 PM
A few things that have already been made for the game that are incredibly useful :

Robe of useful items. It is like carrying a swiss army knife.
Sustaining Spoon. Emergency food.
Continual light. Technically a permanent spell not a magic item, but very useful.
Flying Broom/carpet/winged boots. Easy travel.
Immovable rod.
Pocket tent.
Alchemist Jug.
Ring of warmth.
Bag of holding
Hat of disguise. Any outfit you desire, anytime.
Decanter of endless water.

Remember this list i am building is for stuff that isn't already there. Things with a "common" or below level of power. Boots of flying are way too powerful for this list. Think more like boots that levitate a creature for a couple seconds so the gnome who invented them could reach things on the top shelf.

Galithar
2021-02-14, 02:16 PM

I would do multiple rarities. The simple ones have a single tune, higher qualities ones may have multiple tunes and/or the ability to synchronize with other instruments (magical or played by actual musicians. I'm thinking a Bard that syncs a flute and some bongos with his lute and voice to make a one man band) Maybe some simply play whatever the user thinks? You need the theory of music, but none of the actual skill?

Danielqueue1
2021-02-14, 02:27 PM
I would do multiple rarities. The simple ones have a single tune, higher qualities ones may have multiple tunes and/or the ability to synchronize with other instruments (magical or played by actual musicians. I'm thinking a Bard that syncs a flute and some bongos with his lute and voice to make a one man band) Maybe some simply play whatever the user thinks? You need the theory of music, but none of the actual skill?

Ooh, I think I'm going to go with. "It comes with 1d4 songs pre loaded but you can record more." A bard would then be able to sych them up by playing beforehand, then activating them together.

Danielqueue1
2021-02-14, 02:39 PM
A plough that moves itself along thus not needing a horse.
An animated spinning wheel that spins wool into yarn/thread on it's own.
A magical auto-loom
A mood ring that changes color if you have sex.
A magical "magnet" that attracts stones for picking stones out of the farmer's field.
A set of tiles that can be used to create a greenhouse, generating enough warmth and light for year round growing of either food or herbs.
A pedestal with small disks that you place the disk on the pedestal and watch a magical playback of a play or other performance.
A ledger that magically accurately keeps track of your taxes owed and paid.
A doorframe that dispels magical disguises on people passing through it.
A flower pot that magically keeps the plant in it fertilized and watered.
A sundial that generates it's won light such that it functions perfectly well day or night.

I could go on all day.

I like the ideas, but I am going for things not designed for adventurers that adventures could still use. The king's garden will definitely have that greenhouse tiles idea, but adventurers aren't going to want to carry around an auto-loom or a doorframe to check if people are disguised. (well okay, some might, just for fun, maybe I'll make a separate list for just for fun ones)

So I guess for this list it must be
•portable enough that adventurers can take it with them without issue.
•not designed with adventuring in mind.
•effect small enough that I can give these out like candy without unbalancing things.
•something that the players may enjoy having for fun and flavor.

Side note, that tax ledger is totally going on my list of cursed items.

Damon_Tor
2021-02-14, 02:50 PM
Linens of Comfort (common)
This magical set of linens consist of two sheets and one or two pillowcases. They make any bed feel comfortable, and as soft or firm as the user desires, even if the bed is made of straw, piled animal skins, or any other low-quality bedding. Similarly, the pillowcases can be filled with any stuffing and still feel as pleasant to sleep on as a high-quality pillow with ideal firmness for any given user.

Damon_Tor
2021-02-14, 02:57 PM
Cap of Accounting (common, requires attunement)
A creature attuned to this cap can effortlessly perform simple arithmetic mentally, and can easily remember simple numeric values. For example, the user could correctly remember the set prices of several different items, as well as the sum of their prices and applicable taxes and fees.

Damon_Tor
2021-02-14, 03:01 PM
Shovel of Melting (common)
As an action, a creature can use this snow shovel to melt up to 5 cubic feet of non-magical snow or ice.

Damon_Tor
2021-02-14, 03:11 PM
Streetlamp of Security (common)
This streetlamp is a magical light that produces bright light in a 50 foot radius and dim light for another 50 feet. If a crime is committed within 50 feet of the streetlamp, it begins to whistle loudly and focuses it's light on the perpetrator until the perpetrator leaves it's radius or until ordered to reset by a lawful authority. If the perpetrator enters the radius of another Streetlamp of Security during the next 24 hours without being apreh nded, that Streetlamp will also begin to whistle and focus it's light on them.

Dienekes
2021-02-14, 03:26 PM
Plow of Energy:
A plow that can be affixed to a mount or person. When worn the creature ignores the first two ranks of Exhaustion accumulated through a day.

Britta's Magic Sieve
Removes impurities, poisons, diseases, and magical chicanery from liquid poured through it.

Pest Ward
Place around yourself and say an incantation to repel all rodents, insects, and other unwanted animals from around you.

Counter Weights.
A small 1 lb rock that can be magically connected to any single object with a ten minute ritual. For the next 8 hours the weight of the rock and the object are exchanged.

Damon_Tor
2021-02-14, 03:34 PM
Tidytools (common)
This tool chest and the tools contained within share an enchantment. When you touch the tool chest and speak the command phrase "Tidytools tidy up" the tools will return to the chest if able, flying up to 10 feet every 6 seconds until returned. Tools being held or carried by a creature will not return, and the tools are unable to open doors or perform similar tasks, falling to the ground if prevented from returning by such an obstacle. The tools will stop and fall to the ground if their movement would cause any damage to another creature or object.

This enchantment is also available as a Tidytoys toy chest.

Tanarii
2021-02-14, 04:29 PM
Audio books of popular dime novels, for people that haven't learned to read yet. (In this universe, they won't be the primary cause for the spread of universal literacy either.)

Consumable but multi-use Firestarters (i.e. lighters). Has some value but limited use.

Recording devices that can play back a visual and auditory recording. Note this one should probably have some real value attached to it.

Self-drying boots and shoes. This is a cheaper version of the fully waterproof ones.

An ever-fresh ink pot that keeps ink in it from drying up.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-02-14, 04:40 PM
Self-cleaning clothes and dishes.
Vermin/insect wards.
Magical teeth cleaners and breath fresheners.
Magical timekeeping devices.
Something to locate your misplaced possessions.
Magical rain/sun protection.
Various sexual health devices/enchantments (VD detection/prevention, contraception, and more) probably handwaved in PG games.

Dienekes
2021-02-14, 05:07 PM
Temporary Giant Dung Beetles.

A jar full of beetles. Place these beetles over any cess pool and they will immediately grow to enormous size and eat the dung. Upon finishing these beetles will return to their normal size the dung they devoured shrinking within them. Simply put them back in the jar to use again.

Cities everywhere bought these things up making their price skyrocket. But the nightsoil men’s guild has gone on strike claiming these beasts are taking away their jobs.

Spriteless
2021-02-14, 10:05 PM
A pigment of image capturing. Put up any parchment, cover it with this paint, and it is the view of what is behind it. Like a rather slow camera. Useful for recording puzzles and faces, as well as duplicating documents.

Sparky McDibben
2021-02-14, 10:57 PM
Well, I'll offer these and allow you to interpret based on the good taste of your group:

Contraceptives
Slimming potion (makes you look thinner)
Oil of Hair Replacement (fantasy Rogaine)
Bottled memory of an orgasm
Wand of Pooping (Target makes DC 10 Con save or immediately has a bowel movement with no mechanical effect)
Cursed Razor (Gives the cleanest shave possible, but causes hair to regrow incredibly fast)
Rune-inlaid pot (tea pot that heats magically)
Figurine of wondrous power (affirmation gecko - has no power, but compliments the bearer on literally everything they do, even if it's a failure)
Figurine of wondrous power (evil penguin - penguin with red beret and a 5-pack-per-day smoking habit who psychotically stabs anyone next to it when it animates)

J-H
2021-02-14, 11:13 PM
Ice-maker - makes ice cubes
Ice cream device. The nice version has multiple flavors.
Automatic cow milker
Water pump (no, seriously, a water pump that doesn't require a motor or windmill is nice, especially if you're having to get water out of a deep well)
Stone of coolness - gradually cools warm air to 80*. Limited area of effect, great in a tent or small room.
Stone of warming - same but for heating.
Smoke attractor - pulls smoke out of the air in areas lit by open fires, removing the smelling and stains. Possibly can be used to make smoke grenades.
Reinforced wagon suspension - the axles and wheels are three times as durable as normal.
Standing saddle - it's a saddle that expands into a platform with rails so you can stand up while riding a horse.
Plow of sharpness - never needs to be sharpened. Comes with optional magical depth adjustment.
Amulet of [insert female fertility deity name] - when placed on a woman's belly after delivering a baby, it acts to slow bleeding, speed healing, and generally accelerate the recovery process. Much less painful than massaging the fundus.
Hair growth potion
Hair dye potions (permanent)
Mirrored contact lenses (protects against bright lights and also against gaze attacks)
Fenceless leash. A stone with a central runic array (maybe sun powered) and a set of matching animal collars. Any animal who starts to stray too far away from the stone gets a mild shock that increases if they run farther away. The central array is often mounted on a cart along with a feed trough and maybe a water source. Requires some training for livestock to realize how it works.
Candle of insect repelling
Mouse golem - hunts mice, cockroaches, and other vermin inside a structure.
Nailforge - place iron ore in it, close the lid, and wait 5 minutes. At the bottom, you get nails (3 sizes selectable) plus an output of gravel leftovers.
De-ruster. Emits a short-range aura that removes rust. Valued by farmers, salvagers, and armorers everywhere.

Sigreid
2021-02-15, 12:14 AM
I like the ideas, but I am going for things not designed for adventurers that adventures could still use. The king's garden will definitely have that greenhouse tiles idea, but adventurers aren't going to want to carry around an auto-loom or a doorframe to check if people are disguised. (well okay, some might, just for fun, maybe I'll make a separate list for just for fun ones)

So I guess for this list it must be
•portable enough that adventurers can take it with them without issue.
•not designed with adventuring in mind.
•effect small enough that I can give these out like candy without unbalancing things.
•something that the players may enjoy having for fun and flavor.

Side note, that tax ledger is totally going on my list of cursed items.

Well, I guess it depends on how creative they are. Though I was thinking you were looking for things they wouldn't necessarily want or would have to be creative about using. For some, it could easily depend on size. For example, if the green house tiles are small enough, popping one in your bedroll could be great on a cold winter night. Also, some of these would be desirable for their home base. :)

How about a cart or a rikshaw that either pulls itself, or has a minor (i.e. not very tough) construct to pull it?

Lunali
2021-02-15, 10:33 AM
One from our game, useful for adventurers, but would also be nice for everyone else.

Reversible cloak where one side makes you warmer and the other makes you cooler. Provides protection against the appropriate extreme weather.

micahaphone
2021-02-15, 03:17 PM
A rod that when dipped into a container of water/drink (x size limitation) purifies it of any natural contaminants. Doesn't save you against manufactured poisons, but invaluable when travelling or unsure of your water.

Damon_Tor
2021-02-15, 05:00 PM
Badge of Authority (Common, requires attunement)
This bronze badge is a symbol of office, often used by police or others working in a lawful capacity. Anyone who can see the badge will immediately know the name of the wearer and their rank within the organization to which they belong.

Damon_Tor
2021-02-15, 05:10 PM
Shopfinder™ (Common)
This brass rod is topped with a spinning arrow. While holding the rod, speak the name of a type of business you wish to locate, for example, "A barber shop", "Thai Food" or "Someplace that sells licorice". If any lawful businesses within 1 mile of your location match your description, the arrow will point toward the nearest, or toward the most highly thought-of (a switch on the side determines which setting applies). The Shopfinder™ cannot find illegal businesses (though a legal business which is a front for an illegal operation may be located in this way) nor can it locate a business hidden from divination magic, such as those under the effect of private sanctum.

Clistenes
2021-02-15, 05:41 PM
Rich people would probably spend quite a bit of money in their pleasures...

Like, bottles or cups that produce an endless amount of their favorite drink rather than water (Decanter of Endless Wine...).

Smoking pipes that magically duplicate the effect of drugs, but without side effects or risk of addiction (Pipe of Dreams...).

Wondrous Figurines that turn into courtesans, Succubi or Nymphs...

Pillows that allow to have lucid, realistic dreams about all kinds of adventures...

Magical stones that record all kind of experiences and memories (from sexual encounters to a holiday in a tropical island to a recording of the best operas of the century...) and allow the buyer to re-live them...

A magical box similar to Rod of Security only the created Demiplane creates the illusion of a whole world of wonders by changing the environment around the user... like, you enter the Demiplane, and when you move, the environment changes around you, creating the illusion of travel...

A couple of magically linked small mirrors that allow lovers to communicate in secret... or they may just allow friends to exchange gossip all day long...

...etc.

Danielqueue1
2021-02-16, 04:12 PM
Thank you all. I think I have enough to fill the list. But if more people want to keep this thread going for more ideas. By all means

Wizard_Lizard
2021-02-16, 06:39 PM
Foldable boat is always nice.