PDA

View Full Version : Weird Interaction

DracoKnight
2021-02-14, 02:17 PM
So if I知 missing something, please someone let me know.

But I was rereading the Attack action recently and it does not call out that you need a weapon to make the attack action.

So I知 wondering if this means you can combine an otherwise TERRIBLE spell, Flame Blade, with the attack action, to make it less terrible.

Unoriginal
2021-02-14, 02:20 PM
So if I知 missing something, please someone let me know.

But I was rereading the Attack action recently and it does not call out that you need a weapon to make the attack action.

So I知 wondering if this means you can combine an otherwise TERRIBLE spell, Flame Blade, with the attack action, to make it less terrible.

You don't need a weapon for the Attack action, because unarmed strikes exist.

Flame Blade, meanwhile, follows the specific rules for Flame Blade.

So no, you can't. Unless the DM says "it's how it work at my table".

DracoKnight
2021-02-14, 02:22 PM
I guess it depends on whether or not making the melee spell attack is the Attack action. I could see it going either way.

JNAProductions
2021-02-14, 02:24 PM
I guess it depends on whether or not making the melee spell attack is the Attack action. I could see it going either way.

It is not. Shadow Blade works like you think Flame Blade does.

Flame Blade, as written, is not very good. But I don't see any issue making it work as a weapon, with damage appropriate to its spell level and damage type.

Unoriginal
2021-02-14, 06:31 PM
I guess it depends on whether or not making the melee spell attack is the Attack action.

As JNAProductions said, it is not.

Nothing wrong with changing things if you don't like how Flame Blade works, though.