PDA

View Full Version : Damage boosts for utterances

Zaq
2021-02-14, 03:36 PM
Hey folks! I'm tinkering with the truenamer guide again (off and on, at least; I'm going to be making a pretty major overhaul if I can stay on task) and I'd like to crowdsource some brainstorming.

In general, damaging utterances are kind of forgettable and underwhelming. That said, I'm interesting in collecting ideas for game elements that are accessible to a pure-class or nearly-pure-class truenamer that would increase the damage dealt by damaging utterances, just to see if it's possible at all to cobble together enough nickel-and-dime stuff to make a "blaster" truenamer semi-functional.

Remember that utterances are SLAs, for what that's worth. So we're mostly looking for game elements that can increase the damage dealt by an arbitrary SLA and/or game elements that provide bonuses to "damage" (versus, for example, bonuses to "weapon damage").

I'm looking for game elements that directly increase damage. (For example, Extend and Quicken can be said to indirectly increase damage, but I'm not interested in that today.)

Here's the easy stuff:

Knowledge Devotion (feat, Complete Champion). Provides a bonus to damage and doesn't specify weapon damage. Easily accessible to a truenamer and thematic to boot.
Mortalbane (feat, Book of Vile Darkness). Damaging SLA deals +2d6 damage to creatures whose types are on a defined list, 5/day/SLA. Doesn't have any prereqs and works a reasonably large number of times per day, so it's not bad even if it doesn't scale and if it doesn't affect all critters.
Empower Utterance (feat, Tome of Magic). Does exactly what you'd expect.
Empower Spell-like Ability (feat, Monster Manual). Arguably might stack with Empower Utterance? Maybe? The requirements aren't great but it does exist.
Maximize Spell-like Ability (feat, Complete Arcane). Does what you'd expect. Again, requirements kind of suck.
Sudden Empower, Sudden Maximize (feats, Complete Arcane). Since the Sudden feats can explicitly apply to SLAs, these are valid! 1/day, but you don't have to pick the target for the feat when you take the feat, so that's kind of nice.
Greater knight's puissance (utterance, Tome of Magic). Kind of a dishonorable mention here since you can't get this before ECL 18 at the earliest, and that's terrible. But it does provide a +5 bonus to damage and doesn't limit itself to weapon damage! (This... is still not really worth mentioning.)
Duel of wills (skill function, Tome of Battle). Okay, so, this is not actually very useful. First, Intimidate is cross-class for truenamers, so you've gotta get it in-class somehow to matter. Second, there's four outcomes to a duel of wills (opponent ignores, opponent submits, opponent participates and you win, opponent participates and opponent wins) and only one of them results in a bonus (namely, opponent participates and you win). That said, if you manage to somehow get this going, your reward is a +1 bonus to damage that isn't limited to weapon damage! Against one opponent! Woohoo! *koff*
Luck Devotion (feat, Complete Champion). I don't love this one, but it can technically increase the damage you deal with a SLA from below-average to average. For one encounter, at least. Feels like a lot of effort.
Pact augmentation (binder class feature, Tome of Magic). Requires dipping out of truenamer, but at least it only takes two levels? At level 2, a binder gets a pact augmentation when bound to a vestige, and one of the choices is a +1 bonus to damage rolls (not limited to weapon damage). Probably not exactly a primary choice.

There's gotta be more. There's just gotta be. What else can you help me cobble together?

InvisibleBison
2021-02-14, 03:55 PM
I doubt it's particularly practical, given that it has a level adjustment of +11, but the paragon creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) template gives you a +13 insight bonus to all your special attacks. The SRD text is fairly bare-bones, but the ELH does say that it can be applied as a bonus to damage.

Troacctid
2021-02-14, 04:12 PM
The lucky dice soulmeld gives a +1 luck bonus.

Nifft
2021-02-14, 09:22 PM
The psionic power Offensive Prescience (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/prescienceOffensive.htm): gives you a +2 bonus to damage rolls, not limited to weapons. You can snag it and 2 power points via the Hidden Talent feat (XPH).

Amulet of Teamwork (MIC): when flanking an enemy, you and allies get a +2 bonus to damage rolls, not limited to weapons unless that got errata'd.

Stormguard Warrior (ToB): Channel the Storm is compatible, but the much more popular Combat Rhythm is not. Prereqs might be viable in a gestalt game but otherwise not really Truenamer-friendly.

(Willful misinterpretation) Reckless (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#reckless) gives you +1 to damage rolls after successful melee attacks, argue in bad faith that you should be allowed to keep the bonus forever since it's not spelled out when it expires.

Zaq
2021-02-15, 10:52 AM
I doubt it's particularly practical, given that it has a level adjustment of +11, but the paragon creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) template gives you a +13 insight bonus to all your special attacks. The SRD text is fairly bare-bones, but the ELH does say that it can be applied as a bonus to damage.

Cute, though I don't think I'll bother including it (for reasons that should be obvious).

The lucky dice soulmeld gives a +1 luck bonus.

Nice. Available with a single level or with a feat. Costs a swift action every round (or every few rounds if you have essentia), so that's not great, but it can also give a bonus to TS if you're feeling squeezed there. Worth looking at I suppose!

The psionic power Offensive Prescience (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/prescienceOffensive.htm): gives you a +2 bonus to damage rolls, not limited to weapons. You can snag it and 2 power points via the Hidden Talent feat (XPH).

Amulet of Teamwork (MIC): when flanking an enemy, you and allies get a +2 bonus to damage rolls, not limited to weapons unless that got errata'd.

Stormguard Warrior (ToB): Channel the Storm is compatible, but the much more popular Combat Rhythm is not. Prereqs might be viable in a gestalt game but otherwise not really Truenamer-friendly.

(Willful misinterpretation) Reckless (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#reckless) gives you +1 to damage rolls after successful melee attacks, argue in bad faith that you should be allowed to keep the bonus forever since it's not spelled out when it expires.

Prescience, offensive is a good find! Of course you then have to do math to make sure that you do more damage with the standard action and the expenditure of the PP than you would by, you know, using that standard action on another power, but it's something.

Hmm. Amulet of Teamwork is weird. I like seeing some magic items on the list, though! I'm definitely interested in hearing other item suggestions for this purpose.

Stormguard Warrior feels like it could be the cornerstone of a really bizarre build, but it's pretty niche. Still, this is the kind of thing I'm asking for!

Reckless takes a bit of interpretation, but that honestly puts it in line with the rest of the truenamer chapter. Might be good in that hypothetical bizarre Stormguard Warrior build.

ShurikVch
2021-02-15, 01:39 PM
1-level dip in Factotum can add your Int to damage (Cunning Insight CF - not a "weapon damage"); 1-level dip in Shiba Protector - Wis to damage (No Thought CF - not a "weapon damage")

Zaq
2021-02-16, 01:43 AM
1-level dip in Factotum can add your Int to damage (Cunning Insight CF - not a "weapon damage"); 1-level dip in Shiba Protector - Wis to damage (No Thought CF - not a "weapon damage")

Interesting. I had forgotten that factotum can spend inspiration to gain INT to damage rolls. I don't like that it only fires off on a single damage roll per point of inspiration (there are actually very few one-and-done damaging utterances; nearly all of them deal damage multiple times, or at least have the potential to), but that's not your fault! Factotum isn't the worst dip for a truenamer if you're looking for a way to open up some new class skills, I suppose.

Shiba protector is obnoxious to get into (three feats and a racial prereq, yikes), but it's always on with no questions asked, so that's something to think about. Not that WIS is usually a priority for truenamers, but hey, weird builds send you in weird directions.

TiaC
2021-02-16, 03:44 AM
One level in Marshal can get you Charisma to damage rolls when flanking, apparently against all targets, not just the one you're flanking. (Or while charging, but I can't really see that working)

ShurikVch
2021-02-16, 09:35 AM
Titanic Creature template (Monster Manual II):

Damage from a special attack other than poison or trample is tripled, if the attack deals hit point damage.
You can play as an Animal via Anthropomorphic Animal template (Savage Species)... :smallwink:

Rebel7284
2021-02-16, 10:14 AM
Titanic Creature template (Monster Manual II):

You can play as an Animal via Anthropomorphic Animal template (Savage Species)... :smallwink:

Anthropomorphic Animal is not a template per say.

Troacctid
2021-02-16, 01:06 PM
Here's another one: death spike (MIC 50). +2 morale bonus to all damage rolls for 1 hour, but you have to kill something with it. Stab a chicken and you're good to go.

Zombimode
2021-02-16, 01:47 PM
One level in Marshal can get you Charisma to damage rolls when flanking, apparently against all targets, not just the one you're flanking. (Or while charging, but I can't really see that working)

No. Flanking is not a condition a creature can be in. You an only benefit from flanking bonuses with respect to a specific enemy. In short "flanking" is shorthand for "when you would benefit from flanking bonuses". If you attack a creature that you are not flanking then, well, you are not flanking and thus would not benefit from the Minor Aura of Tactics.

Zaq
2021-02-17, 11:43 AM

Huh. I hadn't thought of a truenamer using these utterances getting into the thick of things, but who knows, maybe that's a semi-viable strategy in some games! (Also weird to dip marshal on a truenamer and not take Motivate Intelligence, but hey, that's the whole point of brainstorming! There's more than just the obvious stuff out there!)

Shame that the distracting attack ranger ACF is 4 levels deep, which is more than just a basic dip...

Here's another one: death spike (MIC 50). +2 morale bonus to all damage rolls for 1 hour, but you have to kill something with it. Stab a chicken and you're good to go.

Ooh, interesting. 3/day and the bonus isn't stacking, so it's not that much a bag of rats situation. I can dig it.

I'm definitely interested in other magic items that either specifically boost SLA damage or that generally boost damage without limiting it to weapons, melee attacks, or other conditions that wouldn't apply to utterances.