PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Genie Warlock with Fog Cloud and Flying?

Citadel97501
2021-02-14, 07:43 PM
Hello all, I was wondering how you all feel about using flight from a level 6 Genie Warlock, along with an elevated fog cloud to provide you all the benefits of the darkness + devil sight combo without interfering with your parties line of sight? I understand that this won't work depending on weather due to fog cloud but I was thinking it would be an excellent early option?

Technically an elevated Darkness + Devil Sight would work just as well perhaps even better due to not having to fly in and out of it.

sophontteks
2021-02-14, 08:08 PM
Yes. Just keep in mind that the biggest strength of darkness is the 10 min duration. It can be cast before combat and covered with a cloth or pocket until combat begins. It can even last multiple consecutive fights.

Fog costs you an action during combat along with your concentration, which is a very huge cost. If this is what you want to use your concentration on, I think darkness is far and away the superior choice despite them working in a similiar manner.

If you are looking to use your concentration like this I recommend efreeti, they have the best non-concentration spell options.

EDIT: just to add another strat from my own efreeti devils sight warlock. You can use grasp of hadar to lift them 10 feet and drop them for another 1d6 plus prone. It isn't flawless. You may lose advantage on subsequent attacks, but prone can be really juicy for your melee friends, and it cuts their mobility in half.

Conceptually, them getting advantage for being prone makes no sense when your directly above them, so a cool DM may rule differently. But that'd be a really cool DM.

JellyPooga
2021-02-15, 04:47 AM
Fog costs you an action during combat along with your concentration, which is a very huge cost. If this is what you want to use your concentration on, I think darkness is far and away the superior choice despite them working in a similiar manner.

I've long preferred Fog Cloud over Darkness, personally. Twice the range, six times the duration, larger AoE at lower level, is scalable (for the same 2nd lvl spell slot, Fog Cloud has somewhere in the region of 7x the area) and works against devils (sight) and higher level light spells. Not to mention being somewhat less conspicuous during daylight hours (contextually) and lacking a material component. Just about everything, on paper, is superior.

Granted, the utility of being able to cover/reveal it is handy and the impact of action economy is important. I also accept that the benefits of Fog Cloud could be considered negligible (e.g. an hour duration isn't necessary if you only need it for a few rounds).

J.C.
2021-02-15, 05:46 AM
Pyrokinetics and Unseen Servant.

Valmark
2021-02-15, 07:34 AM
Hello all, I was wondering how you all feel about using flight from a level 6 Genie Warlock, along with an elevated fog cloud to provide you all the benefits of the darkness + devil sight combo without interfering with your parties line of sight? I understand that this won't work depending on weather due to fog cloud but I was thinking it would be an excellent early option?

Technically an elevated Darkness + Devil Sight would work just as well perhaps even better due to not having to fly in and out of it.
It works well imo, although like sophon said Darkness is going to work better.

You can move the Darkness, which means you can take it with you through multiple encounters, and like you said you don't need to move in and out of it. Fog Cloud is also going to be unusable in enclosed spaces because as a warlock you automatically upcast them- good luck positioning a sphere with a radius of 60-to-100 feet without it obscuring the party too in most close spaces. Even if there wasn't space for Darkness you could 'sheat' it if needed.

Pyrokinetics and Unseen Servant.

Unseen Servants can't fly so they'd be useless in this situation.