PDA

View Full Version : Gate/Portal System Questions

kalos72
2021-02-14, 09:06 PM
So am I missing something here...on a gate or portal system?

Is it really just teleportation circle permanencied? Can they go from one source to multiple different locations?

Is there a RAW/example of a series of portals linked together? Meaning its not from one location to another stagnate choice vs a whole series of possible locations I can choose from...

All materials/sources are open...

Fizban
2021-02-14, 09:57 PM
No, a Teleportation Circle does not go to multiple locations. The book you're looking for is Forgotten Realms Campaign setting, which has the main portal creation rules, and Underdark has a few extra. Players' Guide to Faerun then makes portal creation a Craft Wondrous Item ability, and substitutes a Portal Master feat for massively reducing the costs, IIRC.

The price of making sure every portal connects to every other will effectively increase exponentially as you add portals to the "network," since variable and two-way portals are essentially just more one-way portals at slight discounts. The best option is a ring of major locations that you walk through in order before the last returns to the beginning, with an occasional branch off to side areas or other loops.

Palanan
2021-02-14, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by Fizban
The best option is a ring of major locations....

For a moment I thought this was a magic item. Now I'm thinking of something like the "time/space GPS" from Endgame, but for a portal network.

Fizban
2021-02-15, 02:40 AM
Ring of Major Locations
This variant upon the Cubic Gate functions from a set of command words rather than physical manipulation. Where the Cubic Gate can only link to random locations on other planes, the Ring of Major Locations instead links to a specific set of locations, which can be reached even from the same plane.
Market Price: eh, the Cubic Gate is already kinda borked by creating gates instead of directly plane shifting as the spell it's supposedly based on, and has a price between 5th level at-will and 7th level at-will, the two levels of the spell, and the six pre-chosen planes don't seem to factor in. Either the max 200,000gp, or use the Cubic Gate's 164,000gp just to be arbitrary. Or 183,000gp for "greater teleport" at-will.

Crake
2021-02-15, 04:09 AM
It's easy, set up an interdimensional hub on a timeless plane (astral plane's an easy one). From there, you can cast gate to every location you desire, and the gate spell will last forever due to the timeless trait.

Bullet06320
2021-02-15, 04:28 AM
Perilous Gateways Archive
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/pg

kalos72
2021-02-15, 01:38 PM
Awesome! Thanks all!