PDA

View Full Version : Can a Wildfire Druid cast Polymorph on their Wildfire Spirit?

jaappleton
2021-02-15, 12:18 PM
I don't think anything prevents this from happening.

Just curious if I'm missing anything.

Avonar
2021-02-15, 12:21 PM
The problem is that it doesn't have a challenge rating, which kinda screws it all up. So I'd say no.

jaappleton
2021-02-15, 12:26 PM
The problem is that it doesn't have a challenge rating, which kinda screws it all up. So I'd say no.

I believe its CR is equal to my proficiency bonus.

Avonar
2021-02-15, 12:30 PM
I believe its CR is equal to my proficiency bonus.

Not according to Tasha's. The CR section is simply blank. So RAW, no challenge rating.

I think I see how it might be confusing though admittedly, since it's laid out like this:

Challenge - Proficiency bonus equals your bonus

I don't think this means CR equal to PB though.

king_steve
2021-02-15, 04:21 PM
Not according to Tasha's. The CR section is simply blank. So RAW, no challenge rating.

I think I see how it might be confusing though admittedly, since it's laid out like this:

Huh, that's an interesting point, I just looked at all the summons in Tasha's and all of them have a '-' as their CR (Checked the summon spells, Artificer pets and Ranger's beast companions).

So, I guess anything targeting a CR won't work on those creatures (e.g. polymorph).

No brains
2021-02-15, 06:15 PM
Here's a weirder question: Does -=-? Can any creature of challenge - be polymorphed into any other creature of challenge -? Is - less than, equal to, or greater than any numeric CR?

jaappleton
2021-02-15, 06:23 PM

If it doesn’t mean the CR is equal to my Proficiency Bonus....

.....What does it mean?

Avonar
2021-02-15, 06:33 PM
If it doesn’t mean the CR is equal to my Proficiency Bonus....

.....What does it mean?

It means that the Proficiency bonus is equal to your proficiency bonus. The "Proficiency Bonus" part is bolded, implying it's another characteristic instead of normal font which would be the value. The CR is just "-", which I take to mean N/A.

It would have been helpful if they put it on a new line, but the font and the spacing between them would lead me to believe that they're separate.

No brains
2021-02-15, 06:48 PM
Regarding Challenge - Proficency bonus, monsters have their proficiency bonus as a function of their Challenge. There's a table for it on page 8 of Monster Manual.