PDA

View Full Version : Martial Disciplines: Aquatic?

kalos72
2021-02-15, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know of any disciplines that would be suited for an underwater venture?

All I have book wise is ToB, are there are other supplements that add more disciplines that might help?

Necroticplague
2021-02-15, 02:53 PM
ToB is the only official book with any disciplines. There’s no real reason you can’t use the ones in there, once you get over the basic problems of underwater fighting.

Darg
2021-02-15, 03:16 PM
Probably the most valuable things you could get is a source of water breathing/lack there of and freedom of movement. At that point your maneuvers should all work as expected, probably. As far as I know, magic type effects don't displace water unless it says it does.

Maat Mons
2021-02-15, 04:20 PM
Stone Dragon has a provision about needing to stand on solid ground, or something. And the fire-based Desert Wind maneuvers probably run afoul of some general rule about fire effects underwater. But other than that, I can't think of any particular problem with using ToB stuff in an aquatic campaign.

Falontani
2021-02-16, 12:38 AM
Fire spells work perfectly fine under water according to the are. Fire spells with duration continue to output enough heat to still deal the damage, and instantaneous fire spells still do the same amount, except the spell may be considered to be steam. (Kind of confusing.) Steam magic the feat exists. Fire breath weapons however, may not be used underwater. Nothing is said about mundane or supernatural fire except what is listed above. Raw, does your torch go out underwater? I'd assume so, but ask your gm :)
There is solid ground at the bottom of the ocean, however that is quite limiting. And I've seen some argue that solid ground would say that sand, mud, and even gravel wouldn't count for stone dragon maneuvers.

Obligatory check the Pathfinder maneuvers. I personally don't use them nor know enough about them, but someone is going to tell you to check.

Fyi the underwater combat rules are so scattered, so good luck finding most of the rules.

Another thing that they don't answer, is if verbal components can work underwater. You would think being able to breathe or not have to breathe would make it a simple, yes, but you must be able to strongly speak for a verbal component, and not being able to hear your own voice can make you get stuck with spell failure chance. If you go to a pool and try to speak while underwater, you will see that you can force the words out, and that you can hear, but it is distorted, and speaking strongly may not be what you just did. But then sahuagin clerics explicitly exist, and no mention is given about silent spell. Not to mention the many other aquatic spellcasters. It's a mess.

Gust of wind underwater? No special clause.

PraxisVetli
2021-02-16, 04:00 AM

Obligatory check the Pathfinder maneuvers. I personally don't use them nor know enough about them, but someone is going to tell you to check.

Yup.
Should look into Path of War and Path of War: Expanded. They offer 18 new Disciplines between the two of them, and with a lot of them specializing in mobility/granting mobility, they could be beneficial in an environment where speeds are limited.
Chimera Soul never left testing, but might have enough support to geant non-aquatic races the ability to co-exist.

Brutal Crocodile and Fool's Errand will help to grapple the few air-breathers you might encounter.

Thurbane
2021-02-16, 06:02 PM
Not manoeuvres or anything, but Stormwrack has a few feats focused on underwater combat and mobility: Aquatic Shot, Flying Fish Leap, Rapid Swimming, Sahuagin Flip, Swim-By Attack etc.

Some of the class ACFs and PrCs may also be useful.