PDA

View Full Version : feat and polymorph question

Zhepna
2021-02-16, 12:29 AM
Hi,

we play a highly optimized 3.5 game and we start at lvl 16. I play a cleric and have the following question:

1) my cleric will mainly craft magic items. I'm an elf and what I want to know is if what I have in mind works;
step 1: cast Holy Transformation, Lesser to become an outsider
step 2: cast anyspell, greater, to cast polymorph and becoming an Midgard Dwarf (Frostburn)
step 3: since we start at high level, I wonder if I could be under this form as I gained a level and select the feat Craft Construct.

When I'm not using polymorph, if this works, I would have the Craft Construct feat without taking the Prerequisites.

2) if 1) works, I understand that other feat that could help crafting such as Extraordinary Artisan doesn't help me anymore since I don't have those feat when I'm a Midgard Dwarf right?

3) If I polymorph into a human, can I select any feat, let's say Craft Contingent Spell, craft the spell and then keep the spell on me as polymorph end and I rebecome an elf?

4) I never created planes. I saw long time ago on those forum that you can creat a plane where time go faster, send your Dedicated Wright somehow so that he creat magic items faster. How does it work?

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Darg
2021-02-16, 02:19 AM
1) Polymorph by itself does not grant extraordinary qualities of the creature whose form is assumed. If through other methods you obtained the ability to get those qualities, you would only be able to benefit from the craft construct feat for as long as your polymorph lasts. Losing the benefit of the prerequisites of a feat means losing the benefits of the feat too.

2) Just because you lose the benefit of a feat by losing the prerequisites, doesn't mean you don't still have the feat. You still would retain the benefit of extraordinary artisan as you possess craft construct. To answer the question directly, You don't lose your feats when you polymorph except under the new polymorph subschool spell rules.

3) If your DM allows that interpretation, sure. Most people would probably have a hard time accepting it as the racial trait is literally 1 extra feat at first level. As you aren't 1st level you don't get the feat.

4) I'm not familiar with shenanigans in this regard, but I believe it involves the 3.0 9th level spell "Genesis" which allows you to determine the time trait of your demiplane. 3.5 has an updated version of this spell called "Word of Genesis" in Tome of Magic, but as the names aren't the same it isn't technically an update. Word of Genesis doesn't let you touch the time trait, nor can you make the demiplane completely out of an esoteric material (forbidding straight up processed metals but perfectly allows ore stone). So this would really be up to the DM's call and many are fine with it in high power settings.

Zhepna
2021-02-16, 07:50 AM
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, it's really appreciated.

I have a question concerning your answer on 1).

When I check the polymorph guide I find online :
http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=519.0

in the Utility forms section, the author suggest a lot of creature with extraordinary qualities.
By exemple: Rust Monster: 5 HD, Medium, NA +5, Special Attacks: Rust
Rust (Ex)

Are you use we don't get the ex abilities? If we do not, do you know a way to obtain them under polymorph? I searched on google and find nothing.

Thanks a lot.

Biggus
2021-02-16, 08:20 AM
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, it's really appreciated.

I have a question concerning your answer on 1).

When I check the polymorph guide I find online :
http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=519.0

in the Utility forms section, the author suggest a lot of creature with extraordinary qualities.
By exemple: Rust Monster: 5 HD, Medium, NA +5, Special Attacks: Rust
Rust (Ex)

Are you use we don't get the ex abilities? If we do not, do you know a way to obtain them under polymorph? I searched on google and find nothing.

Thanks a lot.

"(the subject) gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form"

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm

Rust is a special attack, not a special quality.