PDA

View Full Version : Hit Squad - bbug stay out!

kkortekaas
2007-11-08, 09:04 AM
I need to make a mirror party of level 3 characters that is to act as a fit squad. I'd like to stay within the complete books, the PHB & the PHB2 if at all possible.

My group currently consists of a Goliath Fighter 2, a Dwarven Cleric 3 (might be Cleric 2 / Fighter 1 by next game), a Human Sorcerer 3 and a Human Rogue 1/ Swashbucker 2

I'm remaining intentionally vague on the reason for this hit squad do to expected snooping by another member of my group, who happens to frequent the forums.

Thanks a bunch.

Darkxarth
2007-11-08, 09:27 AM
It would help me at least, to know a little bit more about the characters themselves.

Fighter: What weapon(s) does he use? What's his alignment? Intelligence?
Cleric: What kind of spells does he use? What are his domains? Intelligence?
Sorcerer: What does his spell selection look like? What's his alignment? Intelligence?
Swashbuckler: What feats does he have? What's his alignment? Intelligence?

Once I know these, I can begin working on a mirror party.

EDIT: Also, is the mirror party designed to counter the PCs or just be very similar?

kkortekaas
2007-11-08, 09:41 AM
It would help me at least, to know a little bit more about the characters themselves.

Fighter: What weapon(s) does he use? What's his alignment? Intelligence?
Cleric: What kind of spells does he use? What are his domains? Intelligence?
Sorcerer: What does his spell selection look like? What's his alignment? Intelligence?
Swashbuckler: What feats does he have? What's his alignment? Intelligence?

Once I know these, I can begin working on a mirror party.

EDIT: Also, is the mirror party designed to counter the PCs or just be very similar?

This anti-party was essentially hired to track down the swashbucker / rogue who defined a series of thefts in his background as a reason to leave his hometown. Nobody in the group is currently aware of these transgressions and I see this playing out one of three ways
a) The Party gives him up, while unlikely, it could happen.
b) The party decides to fight the group, but is incompacitated. Side trek to recover the swashbucker / rogue
c) the party decides to fight, and wins forcing the anti-party to either flee or be turned over to the authorities.

As for Party loadout, it is as follows.
Goliath Fighter - Uses a Greatsword and a shield, is CG and has an Int of 12
Cleric - Most of his spells benefit the party, buffs and the like. He's a cleric of Hanseath with the War and Travel domains, Int of 9
Sorcerer - I seem to remember his spell selection being heavy on the Evocations and Illusions but I could be wrong. He's NG
Swasbbucker / Rogue - Off the top of my head I can't remember his feat suggestions, he's NE and has an Int of 18

Darkxarth
2007-11-08, 09:53 AM
This anti-party was essentially hired to track down the swashbucker / rogue who defined a series of thefts in his background as a reason to leave his hometown. Nobody in the group is currently aware of these transgressions and I see this playing out one of three ways
a) The Party gives him up, while unlikely, it could happen.
b) The party decides to fight the group, but is incompacitated. Side trek to recover the swashbucker / rogue
c) the party decides to fight, and wins forcing the anti-party to either flee or be turned over to the authorities.

As for Party loadout, it is as follows.
Goliath Fighter - Uses a Greatsword and a shield, is CG and has an Int of 12
Cleric - Most of his spells benefit the party, buffs and the like. He's a cleric of Hanseath with the War and Travel domains, Int of 9
Sorcerer - I seem to remember his spell selection being heavy on the Evocations and Illusions but I could be wrong. He's NG
Swasbbucker / Rogue - Off the top of my head I can't remember his feat suggestions, he's NE and has an Int of 18

Gotcha, I'll start working on this right away.

Darkxarth
2007-11-08, 10:35 AM
Although theoretically a hit squad for a thief probably wouldn't know the nature of all the party members, I'm going to include a mirror for each character, because I think that's what you're looking for.

This is the counter to the Goliath Fighter.

Gunther Salamand
Half-Giant Knight 2
Medium Giant
HD: 2d12+6 (19)
Speed: 20ft. (4 squares)
Init: +0
AC 19 (+6 MW Banded Mail Armor, +3 MW Heavy Steel Shield); touch 10; flat-footed 19
BAB +2; Grp +8
Attack: +5 Masterwork Falchion (2d4+2 18-20/x2)
Space: 5ft. Reach: 5ft.
Special Attacks: Stomp 1/day, Knight’s Challenge
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Fire Acclimated, Powerful Build, Shield Block +1
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +3
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 15
Skills: Intimidate +7, Ride +5
Feats: Shield Specialization, Mounted Combat
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Knight’s Challenge: Fighting Challenge +1 3/day
Giant: Half-giants are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
Fire Acclimated: Half-giants have a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against all fire spells and effects. Half-giants are accustomed to enduring high temperatures.
Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.
Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.
A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
Stomp: Your foot stomp precipitates a psychokinetic shock wave that travels along the ground, toppling creatures and loose objects. The shock wave affects only creatures standing on the ground within the power’s area. Creatures that fail their saves are thrown to the ground, become prone, and take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage.
Range: 20 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex negates (DC 13)
Power Resistance: No

Items: MW Falchion, MW Banded Mail, MW Heavy Steel Shield

In combat he should challenge either the Goliath or the Swashbuckler to single combat, giving him a +1 to Will saves and a +1 to attack and damage against that character. Being Lawful Neutral, he's likely to attack the target first, but if the rest of the party threatens to interfere, he'll throw a challenge at the Goliath.

I didn't put him on horseback, but you should probably consider it given his low speed, Ride bonus, and bonus Mounted Combat feat from Knight.

Also, I know the Half-Giant is from the Expanded Psionics Handbook, but I don't have Races of Stone and I really thought the Goliath's counter should also be big. Everything you need for his race is under special qualities, and you can ditch Stomp if you're uncomfortable with it.

kkortekaas
2007-11-08, 10:56 AM
Although theoretically a hit squad for a thief probably wouldn't know the nature of all the party members, I'm going to include a mirror for each character, because I think that's what you're looking for.

This is the counter to the Goliath Fighter.

In combat he should challenge either the Goliath or the Swashbuckler to single combat, giving him a +1 to Will saves and a +1 to attack and damage against that character. Being Lawful Neutral, he's likely to attack the target first, but if the rest of the party threatens to interfere, he'll throw a challenge at the Goliath.

I didn't put him on horseback, but you should probably consider it given his low speed, Ride bonus, and bonus Mounted Combat feat from Knight.

Also, I know the Half-Giant is from the Expanded Psionics Handbook, but I don't have Races of Stone and I really thought the Goliath's counter should also be big. Everything you need for his race is under special qualities, and you can ditch Stomp if you're uncomfortable with it.

Heh, awesome...my concern is that the anti-party knows nothing about the swash's companions so it's probably unlikely that they'd face custom opposition. I see the hunters being kinda like Dog the Bounty Hunter and his crew (as corny as that is)

Darkxarth
2007-11-08, 11:06 AM
Heh, awesome...my concern is that the anti-party knows nothing about the swash's companions so it's probably unlikely that they'd face custom opposition. I see the hunters being kinda like Dog the Bounty Hunter and his crew (as corny as that is)

You're right, they wouldn't know anything about the Swashbuckler's companions, but I think it would be amusing to see the party run into an almost double of itself.

Besides, a decent bounty hunting group is likely to have a warrior, a healer, a skillmonkey, and a caster as well. I'm just upping the coincidence factor by mirroring the characters.

On bounty hunting: So you don't want this party to be good guys trying to catch a villain, just a group of bounty hunters hired to track down the thief? Is that right?

kkortekaas
2007-11-08, 11:12 AM
You're right, they wouldn't know anything about the Swashbuckler's companions, but I think it would be amusing to see the party run into an almost double of itself.

Besides, a decent bounty hunting group is likely to have a warrior, a healer, a skillmonkey, and a caster as well. I'm just upping the coincidence factor by mirroring the characters.

On bounty hunting: So you don't want this party to be good guys trying to catch a villain, just a group of bounty hunters hired to track down the thief? Is that right?

I see these Bounty Hunters as guys that'll do anything for a buck, hell they've travelled all the way from Waterdeep to Wheeloon in Cormyr (I don't know if your familiar with Forgotten Realms Geography, but it's a journey of many months) in an effort to track the Swash down.

Darkxarth
2007-11-08, 11:19 AM
Ke’eb Liir
Elf Cleric 3
Medium Humanoid
HD 3d8+0 (14)
Speed: 30ft. (6 squares)
Init: +4 (+3 Dex, +4 Impr. Init.)
AC 17 (+3 Dex, +4 Chain Shirt); touch 13; flat-footed 14
BAB +2; Grp +0
Attack: +7 MW Longbow (1d8 20/x3) or +2 Longsword (1d8 19-20/x2)
Special Attacks: Turn Undead
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Spontaneous Cure
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 9, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 13
Skills: Concentration +5, Knowledge (Religion) +7, Spellcraft +7
Feats: Weapon Focus: Longbow, Protection Devotion, Improved Initiative
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Domains: Protection, War

Spells Prepared
Level 0 – Detect Magic, Create Water, Light, Mending
Level 1 – Command, Doom, Shield of Faith
Level 2 – Hold Person (2)

Spells Per Day
Level 0 - 4
Level 1 - 2 + 1
Level 2 - 1 + 1

Domain Spells
Level 1 – Sanctuary (Pro), Magic Weapon (War)
Level 2 – Shield Other (Pro), Spiritual Weapon (War)

Items: MW Longbow, Longsword, Chain Shirt, 20 arrows, Wooden Holy Symbol, Scroll of CMW (2), Potion of CLW (2)
He heals if necessary, but he usually just tries to protect the party with his Protection Devotion aura and Shield of Faith. He'll use Command or Hold Person to stop the Swashbuckler, and Doom if those fail.

Darkxarth
2007-11-08, 11:22 AM
I see these Bounty Hunters as guys that'll do anything for a buck, hell they've travelled all the way from Waterdeep to Wheeloon in Cormyr (I don't know if your familiar with Forgotten Realms Geography, but it's a journey of many months) in an effort to track the Swash down.

Ok, I can see that. I've still got two to go. I'm thinking a Human Beguiler counterpart to the Swashbuckler and a Gnome Sorcerer who specializes in Enchantment and Illusion spells. However, I'm going to take a break from this for a while. I'll try and work on these characters later this evening for you.

kkortekaas
2007-11-08, 11:34 AM
Thanks man.

Darkxarth
2007-11-09, 12:21 AM
Hayne Seville
Half-Elf Duskblade 3
Medium Humanoid
HD 3d8+0 (14)
Init: +4
AC 17 (+2 Dex, +4 Armor, +1 Shield); touch 12; flat-footed 15
BAB +3; Grp +2
Attack: +7 Longsword (1d8+2 19-20/x2) or +5 Longbow (1d8 20/x3)
Special Attacks: Arcane Attunement, Arcane Channelling
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Elven Blood
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 15, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: Concentration +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +8
Feats: Weapon Focus: Longsword ,Combat Casting, Power Attack
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Arcane Attunement: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Flare, Ghost Sound, Read Magic combined 5/day

Spells Per Day
Level 0 - 5
Level 1 - 4 + 1

Spells Known
Level 0 – Acid Splash, Disrupt Undead, Ray of Frost, Touch of Fatigue
Level 1 – Color Spray, Kelgore's Fire Bolt, Ray of Enfeeblement, Swift Expeditious Retreat

Items: MW Longsword, Chain Shirt, Light Wooden Shield, Longbow, 20 arrows, Elixir of Truth

Starts with a Color Spray centered on the Swashbuckler, if that works, and the rest of the PCs still want to fight, he'll use another Color Spray or a Ray of Enfeeblement on either the Dwarf or the Goliath. If forced into melee, he'll use his Arcane Channelling to channel a Touch of Fatigue through his Longsword attack. If he has to go against the Sorcerer, he's likely to start off with Color Spray and follow up with a melee attack or Kelgore's Fire Bolt

Darkxarth
2007-11-09, 12:30 AM
I think the final character is probably going to be a Beguiler to help the group with social interaction and scouting.

Darkxarth
2007-11-09, 01:05 AM
Marcus Noch
Human Beguiler 3
Medium Humanoid
HD 3d8+0 (14)
Init: +1
AC 14 (+1 Dex, +3 Armor); touch 11; flat-footed 13
BAB +1; Grp +1
Attack: +1 Rapier (1d6 18-20/x2) or +2 Light Crossbow (1d8 19-20/x2)
Special Attacks: Cloaked Casting, Surprise Casting,
Special Qualities: Armored Mage, Trapfinding
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 11, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +9, Disable Device +9, Diplomacy +13, Gather Information +11, Hide +8, Knowledge (Local) +9, Move Silently +8, Open Lock +8, Tumble +8
Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Feint, Tumbling Feint
Alignment: True Neutral

Spells Per Day
Level 0 - 6
Level 1 – 5 + 1

Items: Rapier, Light Crossbow, 10 bolts, MW Studded Leather, Elixit of Hiding, Elixir of Sneaking, Manacles (2)

Marcus will try to sneak into the PCs encampment and use Color Spray, Sleep, or Whelm to take out the Swashbuckler if he's alone, assuming he knows which one is which. If he decides the odds are against him, he'll head back to the rest of the party and tell them what he saw. Then he sneaks around the other side of the PCs and casts at the same time the Duskblade and the Cleric do.

The whole party's strategy is to take down the target (or the whole party if necessary) without actual combat. The Knight is peeved at this strategy, and may decide to arbitrarily challenge the Goliath or the Swashbuckler to single combat anyway. In any event, if the first few attempts at incapacitating the PCs don't work, they're likely to switch their tactics to taking out the most powerful PCs, likely the Goliath and the Sorcerer (if they seem him cast).

No matter how you handle this encounter this party is well equipped to be a challenge for the PCs.

kkortekaas
2007-11-09, 10:20 AM
I see this going down at the The Wyvern Watch Inn in Wheelon while the group shares tales of their brief separation ( 2 of the group members took a brief trek to Suzail to explain their absense last game )

I'm going to talk to the Swashbucklers and see if he'd be willing to "go up to his room" just before the bounty hunters burst in.

The plan is to first see if the group will just hand over the swash, and then see how it plays out.