PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to get Cleave without the prerequisites?

H_H_F_F
2021-02-16, 06:12 AM
Or at least without the Str prerequisite?

For something weird I've been working on. High Dex, low Str, wants cleave - or something that would count as cleave for prerequisites.

Thoughts?

Twurps
2021-02-16, 06:45 AM
The only things I could come up with are:
-There are a few bloodlines that grant the feat. Storm giant major bloodline for example (UA p28).
-The witch hunter prestige class gets it at 6th level.

I realize both are probably not very helpfull.

H_H_F_F
2021-02-16, 07:29 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I can't get those in... Thank you again for the info though.

Quentinas
2021-02-16, 07:42 AM
MMh Martial monk from dragon magazine 310 , as the monk can choose his bonus feat without prerequisite , and that variant give him fighter bonus feat ? This was a reading I read somewhere, but as a DM i would throw book if one of my player would like to gain a strong feat to avoid prerequisite

Stoic
2021-02-16, 07:44 AM
Magic Items that grant the Cleave feat

Rankbreaker Glaive (Arms and Equipment Guide)

Sylvan Scimitar (when used outdoors in a temperate climate) (SRD)

Biggus
2021-02-16, 08:14 AM

Beat me to it. For future reference OP, this is the place to look for these sorts of questions: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=4099.0

H_H_F_F
2021-02-16, 09:01 AM
MMh Martial monk from dragon magazine 310 , as the monk can choose his bonus feat without prerequisite , and that variant give him fighter bonus feat ? This was a reading I read somewhere, but as a DM i would throw book if one of my player would like to gain a strong feat to avoid prerequisite

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm aware of this one, but I'm looking for something that wouldn't lead to any books being damaged.

Beat me to it. For future reference OP, this is the place to look for these sorts of questions: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=4099.0

Thanks for the resource.

I'd like to get it done without items, but right now it seems that's not possible without major investment. Thanks!

RNightstalker
2021-02-16, 12:40 PM
Dervish gets the benefit of Cleave during a dervish dance around 4th level IIRC.

There's always enhancement items, maybe you get lucky and get a wish granted at the right time. And the right begging could get a DM to let your character "make a deal with the devil" proverbially speaking, which could lead to interesting game play to say the least.

Of course, if you let us know what that weird thing you're trying to do is, others might have alternate methods to help you achieve your goals.

ShurikVch
2021-02-16, 01:09 PM
Symbiotic Creature template (Savage Species):

Feats: A symbiotic creature retains the host's feats and gains the guest's feats as bonus feats.
:smallwink:

H_H_F_F
2021-02-16, 01:21 PM
Dervish gets the benefit of Cleave during a dervish dance around 4th level IIRC.

There's always enhancement items, maybe you get lucky and get a wish granted at the right time. And the right begging could get a DM to let your character "make a deal with the devil" proverbially speaking, which could lead to interesting game play to say the least.

Of course, if you let us know what that weird thing you're trying to do is, others might have alternate methods to help you achieve your goals.

Basically, trying to sneak my way into a PRC that's meant for high Str entries with a particular Dex entry, because I believe there's synergy there. Cleave is one of the prereqs.

I don't want to get too specific in case this PRC ever becomes an Iron Chef SI and I could use this build as an entry - though it's mainly just a thought experience and a possible one-shot character for a one shot that might happen in a few months.

Edit:
Symbiotic creature

I said no books getting thrown at me ;p

ShurikVch
2021-02-16, 01:39 PM
Then how about the "Magic Items that Grant Feats" guideline from Arms and Equipment Guide?

A general guideline for other kinds of feats is that they cost 10,000 gp, plus another 5,000 gp to 10,000 gp per prerequisite.

H_H_F_F
2021-02-16, 01:56 PM
Then how about the "Magic Items that Grant Feats" guideline from Arms and Equipment Guide?

My DM for the one shot wouldn't let that fly for prereqs... And if we ever get to it on IC, that's a hard elegance hit.

Dekion
2021-02-16, 02:39 PM
Is this pure 3.0 or 3.5? If Pathfinder or 3.P, a 2nd level Ranger or Slayer taking the Two-Handed Weapon Combat Style can take Cleave as a bonus feat at 2nd level without meeting any pre-requisites.

Troacctid
2021-02-16, 03:01 PM
A monk with the Wing Chun Kuen (Dragon #334) or Sacred Path of Moradin (Dragon #346) fighting style gets Cleave at level 2.

ShurikVch
2021-02-16, 04:22 PM
Bodyguard - Fighter variant from Dragon#310 - can get Clear the Path special ability – to use the Cleave & Great Cleave feats, but only when Fighting Defensively, using Combat Reflexes, and/or transferring his/her Shield bonus to AC to another using the ‘Cover’ ability.

Thurbane
2021-02-16, 04:40 PM
Probably not feasible for this build, but Ghost Face Killer 10 gets to Cleave whenever they kill an opponent with their Frightful Attack...

The only things I could come up with are:
-There are a few bloodlines that grant the feat. Storm giant major bloodline for example (UA p28).
-The witch hunter prestige class gets it at 6th level.

I realize both are probably not very helpfull.

Witch Hunter is an odd one: it says you gain Cleave as a bonus feat, but if you lack the requisite Str score, you can only use the feat on evil (or Shadowlands) opponents.

H_H_F_F
2021-02-16, 05:18 PM
A monk with the Wing Chun Kuen (Dragon #334) or Sacred Path of Moradin (Dragon #346) fighting style gets Cleave at level 2.

That'd be perfect. Not going to work for Iron Chef, of course, but would be perfect for the one shot if it happens. I'll see if I can get it approved. Thanks!

Vaern
2021-02-16, 05:39 PM
What are your level, class, and race? And what kind of ability scores are we looking at? Depending on how hard you're planning on dumping your strength and how much gold you have to spare, this 3-step program may work for you:

1) Be an orc. Orc starts with +4 str. If your base strength is at least 9, you meet the prerequisites for Power Attack and Cleave. If you're planning on starting out as a fighter, you can get both at level 1.
2) Use PHB2's rules for rebuilding your race to become your desired race. You no longer meet the prerequisites for Power Attack or Cleave, but they still occupy your feat slots. You can benefit from the feats again when you once again meet the strength requirement for them.
3) Get yourself a Belt of Giant Strength. Bump your strength back up to 13 and you will once again qualify for and be able to benefit from your feats.

Rebel7284
2021-02-16, 06:12 PM
STRONG-ARM STYLE ranger from Dragon #326 gives you Great Cleave (eventually). Presumably you can use it without the strength requirements as all other ranger bonus feats.