PDA

View Full Version : Grim Angels [template]

asphen fox
2007-11-08, 09:33 AM
The thing is, I'm playing this game called Riviera and the main character there is a Grim Angel... I was thinking about maybe making this into a template or something like that.

So... Can anyone help me in this?

Artemician
2007-11-08, 12:29 PM
Okay.. from what little I know about Riviera (never found time to progress past act II >.<), Grim Angels don't really seem like a template to me..

It is mentioned that the Gods created them as the Ultimate Weapon, sacrificing their lives in the process. Emphasis on created. I do not think that there were any creatures to apply templates to, so I think that they're a monster in their own right.

Now, what do we know about them?

1) They have wings.
2) They are powerful (just look at Ledah/Ein's stats in the tutorial..)
3) They use Diviners.

Diviners aren't really part of a Grim Angel's abilities, being external. So that doesn't count.

While being powerful could be represented by having loads of class levels, they are referenced as "Black-winged Angels of Death", so dont' think that they're slouches.

While 2) stands, I dont' really think that it's enough to go by. But ah what the heck, let's try anyway.

Grim Angel

Created by the Gods themselves as living weapons in the war of Ragnarok, a Grim Angel is a fearsome sight to behold on the battlefield. Endowed with superhuman strength and stamina, as well as blessed weapons called 'Diviners', the Grim Angels form a stalwart line of defense against any who would dare threaten their masters.
Grim Angels know the full extent of their own power, and they tend to be extremely haughty in dealing with those that they consider lesser races, such as the Sprites, or the Arcs. Being created weapons, all Grim Angels bear a burning Hatred for Demons, and they will kill demons on sight, should they see them.
Grim Angels are no fools, and will excercise every degree of caution when fighting in combat. Their militaristic nature, and their fierce devotion to duty drives most of them to be Lawful.

In battle, a Grim Angel relies on its aerial superiority to fly above the enemy, and either shoot with bows, or strike at oppurtune moments with their Diviners. Many a demon has panicked at the sight of a battlewing of Angels blotting out the sun with their black wings, and with their Diviners casting an incadescent light in the midst of the darkness.

Grim Angels as Characters:
"Grim Angel" is a template that can be applied to any living humanoid (???)
Grim Angels possess the following traits.

Size and Type: The creature's type changes to Outsider. Size remains unchanged.
The base creature gains a Fly speed equal to their land speed, with Good Maneuverability
Special Attacks: A Grim Angel retains all the special attacks of the base creature, and also gains Spell-like Abilities. For more information, see below.
Special Qualities: A Grim Angel has all the Special Qualities of the base creature. It also gains the followings special qualities: Resistance to Fire, Electricity and Cold 5, Immunity to Disease, +4 racial bonus on Fortitude Saves to resist Poison, and Damage Reduction 5/magic.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: +2 Con, +2 Wis, +2 Cha
Skills: A Grim Angel receives a +2 Racial Bonus on Sense Knowledge and Intimidate checks.
Level Adjustment: +3

Spell-like Abilities:

1-5 HD: Protection from Chaos 3/day, Detect Chaos 3/day
5-10 HD: Magic Circle Against Chaos 1/day
11-15 HD: Divine Power 1/day
15-20 HD: Dictum 1/day

All effects are cumulative unless otherwise stated. Caster level equals Hit Dice. Save DCs are Charisma-based.

*------

Seems about right? I basically took the Aasimar and the Half-celestial and mashed them together.

Bonded Diviner
You have created a holy bond with a blessed weapon, called a Diviner. You soul flows through the weapon, and you and it are one and the same.
Prequisites: Weapon Focus (any), character must be a Grim Angel.
Benefit: You gain the ability to create and wield a Diviner.
Choose a manufactured Weapon that you have the Weapon Focus feat in. This will become your Diviner.
At any time, you may return to a hallowed or holy place and spend the day in meditation to strengthen the bond between you and the Diviner. To strengthen the Diviner, a Grim Angel must spend 24 hours in prayer. At the end of this prayer, he may sacrifice an amount of experience points. The Diviner then becomes a Magic Weapon, and gains enhancement bonus/and or special abilities. His character level limits the amount of enhancement a Grim Angel can put into his Diviner. A Grim Angel cannot create a signature weapon if doing so would cost enough experience points to reduce his character level.
Use the table on the previous page to determine XP costs and class level limits. If the meditation is interrupted, it can be begun again at any time, but it must run for a full 24 hours for the signature weapon to be imbued. The Grim Angel pays the XP cost as soon as the meditation has been completed

{table=head]Character Level|Weapon Bonus|Minimum XP Cost
1-2|+1|40
3-4|+2|160
5-6|+3|360
7-8|+4|640
9-10|+5|1000
11-12|+6|1440
13-14|+7|1960
14-15|+8|2560
16-17|+9|3240
18-20|+10|4000
[/table]

Special: However, such power that a Diviner grants comes at a price. As long as a character gains the benefit of this feat, he is constantly afflicted by a Bestow Curse-like effect, which may or may not lower his ability scores, or rob him of his ability to fly. At the DM's discretion, other penalties may be devised. This curse cannot be removed by any mundane means. If it is removed, by freak of chance, the character loses all benefits of this feat.

If a Grim Angel loses his Diviner, he forgoes all benefits of this feat until he can get it back, or create a new one. Should he choose to create a new one, all XP that he has spent on it is still considered lost.

(Grim Angel templati-fied, on suggestions by other posters.)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-08, 12:48 PM
Seems about right?

The LA on what you just typed should be at least +4. In fact, from what you've described, these things sound more like monsters that should only be playable if things like Mind Flayers are as well.

Artemician
2007-11-08, 12:58 PM
The LA on what you just typed should be at least +4. In fact, from what you've described, these things sound more like monsters that should only be playable if things like Mind Flayers are as well.

Neh. Fluffwise, they're like that, but Crunchwise, there really isn't much that makes them really superhuman. You could stat them out as Winged Humans if you want, but I just feel the urge to create something dedicated.

Also, why LA +4? I based the race off the Half/Celestial Aasimar, so +3 seems about right. The Bonded Diviner may be pushing it a little, but +4 is really too crippling.

Supreme Geasser
2007-11-09, 10:34 AM
Um...

There are 3 instances where the main character Ein spares demons if the player should so choose

1) Chapter 3 - The demon being picked on by the other demons
2) Chapter 3 - The injured Harpy
3) Sunken City - Blue Fool and Red Sage

So if the player chooses, these demon are spared, which means that they (meaning Ein) don't despise demons to the core.

Also, I disagree with Grim Angels being "Black-winged Angels of Death" due to the fact that Hector the Magi says that they are to "Pass Judgment" and "Follow the will of the Gods".

Another thing, The Grim Angel Malice who wields Either an Ice Urgosh or Ice Double Axe is not a real Grim Angel because Hector the Magi explains that she (Malice) Failed to become a Grim Angel. With that in mind we can assume that Grim Angel can be a template

asphen fox
2007-11-10, 05:25 AM
Another thing, The Grim Angel Malice who wields Either an Ice Urgosh or Ice Double Axe is not a real Grim Angel because Hector the Magi explains that she (Malice) Failed to become a Grim Angel. With that in mind we can assume that Grim Angel can be a template

Sorry, but that's why I said template. It's very much like the Chosen of Mystra Template because according to FRCS it can be gained or inherent. Anyways... The race you made looks awesome. :smallsmile: Sorry for the bother and thanks very much for trying. :smallbiggrin:

Artemician
2007-11-10, 10:47 AM
I happily acknowledge my lack of concrete knowledge of Riviera lore. That race was just something I created in a fit of activity (don't ask me why, I just felt like it.)

So... Grim Angels are templates? Mmm... Does anyone know what kind of creature the Grim Angel template would be applied to? So far, in Riviera we've only really seen various sub-species of Sprites so far, and the sprites act as if they consider Grim Angels a separate species from them.

Any further information on Angels would be appreciated (so I can edit the entry.). Thanks. :smallsmile:

asphen fox
2007-11-11, 05:04 AM
Well... Since most of them have feathery angelic wings and there are those Arcs that have those leathery devil-like wings.... So I guess... Celestial? I mean, even fake-Grim Angel Malice had wings.

Supreme Geasser
2007-11-16, 07:52 AM
How about Humanoids and Good-Aligned Outsiders (Archons) and must be willing to sacrifice something important?

asphen fox
2007-11-16, 10:07 AM
Nah... Angels, not elves or humans or hobgoblins or dwarves... That would probably mean Solar Angels and those other pips that have the word angel in their race name thingy. Plus... Can archons even weild weapons? as in Swords and the like?

DracoDei
2007-11-16, 11:10 AM
LANTERN Archons... well MAYBE after they get divinely transformed... Theoretically... but that would be a rather unusual template...

But Hound and Trumpet Archons already can wield weapons.