PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Minor villain a caricature

Aleolus
2021-02-16, 05:45 PM
{scrubbed}

I am wanting to create a minor, recurring villain to bring in to either my current campaign, or a future one I run, who is {scrubbed}. I know I need to give him a fairly high Charisma, I am leaning towards him being a Bard, but other than that, I'm looking for suggestions on builds for him.

The really tricky part though, and what I need the most help with, is that I don't want him to be a bumbling, incompetent villain like Jesse and James from Pokemon or Boris an Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle, but I also don't want him to be the super-threatening, your-life-is-in-danger-the-instant-he-arrives like Voldemort or Saruman. He needs to be serious enough that the characters need to take him seriously when he shows up, but lighthearted enough that my players can laugh at him and his antics. Any suggestions or ideas for all of this?

Clementx
2021-02-18, 03:20 PM
The reason why those characters are funny is because they aren't the audience's enemy. The protagonist generally doesn't laugh at them. Your players won't either; they will just disrespect him and get annoyed. Try making him a goofy ally to start, or a friendly competitor. Once the players are used to him as entertaining, increase the direct conflict.

Particle_Man
2021-02-19, 12:23 AM
Beguiller is the gold standard for con artist foil. Make sure they always have a getaway plan or two and have them leave calling cards with bad puns (dad joke level puns) like a 60’s Batman villain.

DMVerdandi
2021-02-19, 01:28 AM
In 3.5?

Hmm...Look up the jester class, or as was said beguiler.
Give him leadership so that he can have a team and an audience without it being DM Fiat.

Give him a hype man/straight man[Let's say this one is a marshal].

Then give the hype man leadership so that he can have the DJ [Bard]

These are their roles, but you don't necessarily have to use the words or even let on that it's necessarily an act. They could just be perceived as funny, or worth following because they are entertaining.

Depending on the setting, say that they are all a part of the flyter's guild.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyting

Yes. Yes this means you will need to study battle rap, AND be funny.

"Algar the brave?

More like the KNAVE

Step to me, I'll give you a close shave, Ask the staff, I'll make you stave

Your mom was an orc, don't think she even bathed

Hype man, Hold my glaive, I'll spit dragons fire, turn this fighter into a maid

I don't have a lute, so I won't be played, but your party members are laughing, while you were gone they paid"

Mage, I'll take my coin after I finish retiring your boy from adventuring, he'll have to go home to mama

DM: Roll for will save.

You will have to be funny and witty though. Helps if you can freestyle.