PDA

View Full Version : When to Multiclass

Aett_Thorn
2021-02-16, 06:01 PM
Hey everyone. Just looking for some advice on when to multiclass my Bard character in my new campaign. I知 looking to pick up a level of Storm Sorcerer for concept reasons (and pick up some better damaging cantrips). We just leveled up to 3, and I went Glamour Bard, so now I知 looking into doing the multiclass either at 4, 5, or 6, but each point also has a decent Bard feature.

Level 4 would delay my ASI. Level 5 would delay third-level spells, and level 6 seems too late (we may get up to level 11 total) and also delays Mantle of Majesty. So just looking for opinions on when others would take the leap.

Vorpalchicken
2021-02-16, 06:32 PM
Personally I would not multi-class at all (full casters suffer too much with delayed spell selection) but if you must, I would do it at level 6 so you do not delay the appearance of 3rd level spells while getting bardic inspiration back with short rest and increasing the inspiration die to a d8.
Yes sorcerer cantrips might do d10s instead of d4s but I find vicious mockery more fun (and valuable) than most damaging cantrips.

Granitecosmos
2021-02-16, 06:39 PM
Yes sorcerer cantrips might do d10s instead of d4s but I find vicious mockery more fun (and valuable) than most damaging cantrips.
Agreed, that disadvantage is worth the damage difference on a class already more suited towards buffing/debuffing. That being said, a Sorcerer dip can grant you Shield and Absorb Elements which is awesome if you're lacking durability. The cantrips are just icing on the cake.

NCat
2021-02-16, 06:39 PM
IF you feel like multiclassing, go for it. But as always, when you multiclass you should feel confident in the multiclass your making. afterall, 5e is fairly generous in making it so as long as you make reasonable decisions (and your dm isnt actively trying to screw you) you will always have a functional character. Multiclassing always is able to grant a good or even phenomenal character build, but a bad multiclass can be crippling

so yeah, have fun, but uh. be careful

OldTrees1
2021-02-16, 06:44 PM
So you are going Storm Sorcerer 1 because Tempestuous Magic is relevant to your PC's characterization?

How important is that to the characterization? Maybe you should have taken it at 3rd level. It is not a strong ability, but you are valuing it for the flavor. I suggest taking it as your 4th level despite knowing that will delay strong features. Unless, was there a feat even more central to your characterization?

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-02-16, 07:08 PM
Personally I would not multi-class at all (full casters suffer too much with delayed spell selection) but if you must, I would do it at level 6 so you do not delay the appearance of 3rd level spells while getting bardic inspiration back with short rest and increasing the inspiration die to a d8.

Pretty much this. If you must multiclass don't do it until after 5th. The d10 vs d4 thing will have more impact after 5 total levels anyway if that's your reason for it. Nothing you get out of Sorc 1 is worth not having 3rd level spells and having to play through a 4/1 split.

Aett_Thorn
2021-02-16, 07:17 PM
So you are going Storm Sorcerer 1 because Tempestuous Magic is relevant to your PC's characterization?

How important is that to the characterization? Maybe you should have taken it at 3rd level. It is not a strong ability, but you are valuing it for the flavor. I suggest taking it as your 4th level despite knowing that will delay strong features. Unless, was there a feat even more central to your characterization?

Yeah, the character is portrayed as more of a druidy Bard, taking a lot of nature spells over powerful ones. In addition, we tend to have battles with lots of mooks, so being able to get out of the fray would be very nice, too.

Level 4 would be used to raise Cha by 2, not a feat. So maybe at 4 it is.