PDA

View Full Version : Animal Handling & the UA feat

Segev
2021-02-17, 09:42 AM
Just how much control or communication can you manage with a Wisdom (Animal Handling) check? Does having an animal Charmed make any difference?

The UA Animal Handler feat is a half-feat (+1 Wisdom) that gives a bonus action option to gain full control over a friendly beat not controlled by anybody else. But do you use Wisdom (Animal Handling) or Charisma (persuasion) to make an animal friendly? How does animal friendship factor in?

The Charmed condition doesn't change attitudes on its own, and only gives Advantage on Charisma checks, not Wisdom checks, with creatures. Does Animal Handling actually help deal with beasts, or is it a function of Charisma?

heavyfuel
2021-02-17, 03:04 PM
've never seen anyone use Charisma (Persuasion) checks in relation to animals, unless you they could also speak with animals (usually by means of a spell).

It seems odd that a Noble Merchant with high Charisma can make animals friendly with more ease than, say, a tribesman.

Personally, I say it's a Wisdom (Animal Handing) check over a period of days to make the animal friendly. Longer for non-domesticated animals.

Animal Friendship would probably give you Advantage on these checks since I think they'd qualify as "social interaction" for the purposes of the spell. Note that the Chramed condition says "The charmer has advantage on any ability check to interact socially with the creature." No mention of only Charisma checks (at least accordng to roll20.net)

Segev
2021-02-17, 03:52 PM
I always seem to fort that Charmed works on "social interaction" and not "charisma checks." Thanks for pointing that out.