PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Building a list of NPC names: Tabaxi edition

NRSASD
2021-02-17, 02:00 PM
Hello everyone!

I like using lists of names when I need an npc I hadn't planned for. The players of my campaign are about to encounter a majority tabaxi (cat person) populated region, so I need some names ready to go. Unfortunately for me, the tabaxi have a particular naming scheme which makes it difficult to pull such a list off the internet, which is why I'm asking you, the Playground, for help.

In my campaign, Tabaxi are given/earn names for noteworthy events or deeds done during their lives. They either choose the name or are given it by the people who know them. If the community agrees the name is appropriate, it sticks. Therefore it's not unusual for Tabaxi to have multiple names throughout their lives. As the population in question is rather insular and small, it's not too big of a deal to keep track of all the names. When talking to non-Tabaxi, they usually give shortened versions of their names initially unless they have reason to trust them. Below are several of the names I've already come up with. I'm looking for additional names that don't necessarily have plot-relevance but can be used in a pinch. If it's relevant, the society is from a tropical swamp surrounded by mountains.

As always, thanks for any and all help!

Twice-Bitten: very scarred tabaxi who's given up hunting

Rides-Boars: young adult who accidentally fell out of a tree and landed on a boar's back

Steps-Over-Sharp-Rocks: older woman with a limp who got injured stepping on a sharp rock

Paints-False-Stripes: teenage albino tabaxi who tried to make himself less distinctive with paint (and failed)

With-Grace-and-Dignity: refined butler

Spears-the-Heart: renowned hunter and heartthrob

Speaks-with-Conviction: an actor who gives powerful performances but is being blackmailed

Drinks-Deeply-of-Scarlet-Waters: a scarily effective huntress who might be a vampire

Shines-Brightly: a very pious and devout priestess

Walks-Thin-Ropes: a teenage double agent trying to balance all her conflicting loyalties

Small-Toes: an adorable toddler

Shards-of-Glass: servant who is renowned for being clumsy

Wanders-Far-Places: ranger and smuggler known for going on long treks

Steps-Forward-When-Others-Hesitate: smuggler known for her boldness and recklessness

Moved-too-Slow: Former Bodyguard whose client was murdered

Saintheart
2021-02-18, 09:33 AM
Unsinged-Dancer: made his Reflex save when a Fireball trap went off.

Nifft
2021-02-24, 01:31 PM
Steps-Forward-When-Others-Hesitate: smuggler known for her boldness and recklessness

Plot twist: she's not actually reckless, it's just that her name is so long that she's already done with whatever action she'd been attempting before someone can ask her to stop.

NRSASD
2021-02-25, 07:18 AM
@Nifft- hah, I like it!
@Saintheart- Thanks!

Wizard_Lizard
2021-02-26, 10:48 PM
Well we have my pc... Ashen Forest- Wizard extraodinaire and master of artful squiggles.

Some other names
Cloud Over Mountain: Old monk who sticks to their ideals of helping others. Named after the fact that they live.. in a hermitage way up the cloud line of the mountain.
Misty Brook: Emotional and easily manipulated bard who sings with the power of the emotion of rage. Named that for.. falling into a river.
Ember of the Flame: Fierce warrior and chieftain who is protective of their tribe. Named that for utilizing fire in combat often.

Ravens_cry
2021-02-27, 02:43 AM
Burning-Waters.
Sadly, penicillin hasn't been discovered yet, and Remove Disease or equivalent may be a pretty high level spell for an ordinary NPC.
Last-Dancer.
Was the last to pass out from exhaustion during an extended dance off.
Little-Tail.
Human adopted into clan.

StoneSeraph
2021-03-01, 08:48 AM
Broken Branch: climbed a tree and fell, breaking an arm on the way down

Hot Soup: regularly complains about the temperature of food at various dining establishments

Bump in the Road: accidentally got run over by a mule cart and survived

Windfall: born as an unexpected twin during inclement weather

Quiet Snow: almost always speaks in a whisper

Magpie's Nest: notorious for petty theft and hoarding trinkets

Reflection Pool: capable of scrying but is mostly just a narcissist in the most classical sense