PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [ASI++] Making ASI levels more interseting

Yakk
2021-02-17, 02:18 PM
So Attribute Score Increases are great, and if you have good feats to grab that is good as well.

I'm working on a slightly boosted power level 5e, and one of the things I did was make the Monk's ASIs better. In the Monk's case, this carries a lot of power; they get +1 str/dex/con/wis for free, plus the usual ASI or a feat (but a cap of +2 total), to reflect the Monk's "perfection of body and soul" theme.

Having already factored that into balance, I'm thinking about other classes.

The fighter has an out of combat utility problem. I was already thinking of adding a Profession to the Fighter that acts like an amped-up background, granting non-combat utility; one thought was to tie the advancement of the profession to the fighter's ASIs.

But if I'm doing that for 2 classes, why stop there?

Rogue: I'm adding a "Trusted Ally" stat that is equal to your proficiency bonus plus your charisma modifier. The guy who runs your castle, a merchant finds you magic goods you might like, a priest who removes your curses between adventures -- they all take up Ally "slots". I'm thinking the Rogue gets +1 to this every ASI.

Ranger: I intend to strip out the favored enemy/terrain stuff and grant things that are more mechanically crunchy. I can slide it back in as a boon you get every Ranger-ASI.

Barbarian: I'm leaning towards Barbarians being powered by Primal magic. So I could give them a Primal Spirit contact every ASI; a spirit they can ask questions of in the Spirits area's of expertise.

Paladin: Maybe they get the ability to inspire an NPC with their Oath every ASI?

Cleric: Sanctify; can sanctify a location to their God, with count equal to ASIs?

Wizard: Ritual mastery; pick a ritual spell up to 1/2 of your wizard level. You can now cast it with only an extra action as a ritual.

Sorcerer: Bloodline traits; your body changes to express your bloodline in a visible way. (This might be too much work)

Artificer: You invent a Device that emulates a spell; pick any spell up to 1/2 of your Artificer class level from the Artificer, Wizard, Sorcerer or Warlock spell lists. If the spell is a ritual, you can use the Device to cast it as a ritual. In addition, you can use one of your devices to cast the spell using the usual action cost; roll an intelligence check against a DC equal to 10 plus the spell level; on failure the device fails and cannot be used again until rebuilt over a short rest. Once you have successfully cast a spell this way, you cannot try again on any device until you finish a long rest.

Monk: See above.

Warlock: Tasks. Your patron gives you a task to perform every ASI. If you complete the task, you gain a token; once between long rests you can (as an action) use the token to regain a wWarlock spell slot.

Druid: Groves. You gain access to a Druid Grove maintained by your Circle. You can reach any Grove you have access to by walking in the wilderness and finding the ley-line paths. Make a wisdom(nature) check every hour you search the wilderness for a path (DC determined by how familiar you are with the area, and how similar the terrain is to the target Grove), on success you can open a path to the Grove for up to your proficiency bonus in creatures.

Bard: Great Work. You have created a great work at every ASI. Pick a Culture; you gain advantage on charisma ability checks when dealing with members of that Culture who are aware of the Great Work.