PDA

View Full Version : Best Eberron novels?

Bandit Koi
2021-02-17, 06:02 PM
Hello!

I’m interested in starting to read the Eberron novels and since there’s quite a lot of them, I was wondering if someone could give their recommendations? Which one to start from? Which ones to avoid.. Things like that.

I thought I should start with "City of Towers". But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask around first.

My main interest is to get a better sense of the setting. I know nothing about Eberron, aside from the very basic stuff. And I find the setting book kind of a harsh read. It feels like a great book for people who are already familiar with the setting.. But kind of confusing for newcomers.

Anyways.. Thanks for any advice.

Also, apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section.

Dr.Samurai
2021-02-18, 12:44 PM
Hi Bandit Koi,

It kind of depends on what parts of the setting you're interested in.

My go-to recommendation for people asking about the novels is the Dragon Below trilogy. I think it is the best of the Eberron novels to date. In it you'll be exposed to shifters, the goblin history of Khorvaire, some dragonmarked houses stuff, cults of the Dragon Below (as per trilogy name), and of course ramifications of the Last War. The books take you to several distinct locations in the setting.

The Dreaming Dark trilogy (of which City of Towers is the first book) is very good for a broader read of the setting. It has more dragonmarked house stuff in it, one of the characters is a warforged and that gets explored in this trilogy. There's interaction with the Dreaming Dark (as per trilogy name) and the trilogy covers even more locations than the Dragon Below trilogy.

I also like the Inquisitives books, which are stand alone novels (though I think there are two Abraxis Wren books). But the Darkwood Mask is good and takes place in Karrnath, so you get a feel for that nation specifically. Bound by Iron I also enjoyed though I forget exactly where it took place. Legacy of Wolves was also good and deals with the Silver Flame religion and shifter issues.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Bandit Koi
2021-02-18, 02:57 PM
That helps a lot man, thanks!

Scarytincan
2021-02-19, 09:58 AM
If you feel like getting into an entire mmo, dungeons and dragons online is set there, that was my intro (and remains my only) foray into eberron. Quite enjoyed it at the time, though at this point the game system takes a bit of a stretch to still call dnd from what I've seen hehe.