PDA

View Full Version : Clerics in the Underdark

Oontarg
2021-02-17, 10:58 PM
My gaming group is starting a game in the depths of the Underdark. I want to play a cleric but I don't know how I can know when to pray considering that the PHB states that Clerics must pray at a certain time each day. The time of the praying depends on the time of day (where the sun is in the sky) and in the lightless depths of the Underdark there is no way to tell were the sun is in the sky. I thought that if we have a base that I could use a water clock but then that means i can only pray for spells when I'm in my home base. Is there any way to tell time in the Underdark with spells or magic items or even mundane ways? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The Viscount
2021-02-17, 11:27 PM
The Firmament Stone from Dungeonscape pg 36 shows the position of the sun (or moon, depending on the stone) in the sky, and mentions divine casters using it to prepare spells at the right time. It's pretty affordable at 110 gp.

smasher0404
2021-02-17, 11:39 PM
If you are willing to burn 2+ spell slots on this: the spell Status lasts for hours per level. Assuming a Cleric knows the duration of their own spells (or even more helpfully their Caster Level), they could attempt to time their prayers around the expiration of Status spells. That does have the downside of expending spell slots and losing track of time if a Status spell is prematurely dispelled. This could also be applied with any other spell with a continuous effect measured in hours (although Status is mental, and presumably can be easily detected when it expires).

For 6000 gold, you can pick up a Farspeaking Amulet (MIC), that allows for communication over large distances 3/day among charm-holders. You can leave the amulet with a trusted individual on the Surface, and they can contact you when the sunrises (basically functioning as an alarm clock).

If you have the Craft Construct feat, you can buy an hourglass and create a Homunculus. Order the Homunculus to effectively carry and watch the hourglass. It can telepathically convey whenever the hourglass runs out of sand, and flip it. That would give you on-the hour records of the passage of time.

loky1109
2021-02-18, 10:22 AM
I have houserule.
Cleric simply knows when is time.

Gallowglass
2021-02-18, 11:44 AM
My gaming group is starting a game in the depths of the Underdark. I want to play a cleric but I don't know how I can know when to pray considering that the PHB states that Clerics must pray at a certain time each day. The time of the praying depends on the time of day (where the sun is in the sky) and in the lightless depths of the Underdark there is no way to tell were the sun is in the sky. I thought that if we have a base that I could use a water clock but then that means i can only pray for spells when I'm in my home base. Is there any way to tell time in the Underdark with spells or magic items or even mundane ways? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

First: Check with your GM if he is even going to make this an issue for you. Most games and most GMS don't get that finicky. You pray after you sleep, end of.

If he is, or if this is just something you want to figure out for immersion reasons here's some ideas:

You can work with an alchemist to make a custom item like a slow-burning fuse. This is a time device in real life that is used to time things over long periods. Basically at 7 AM you light it and keep it protected in a clay sphere or wicker basket that air can get into. It will slowly burn. It has knots in it to mark off the hours, so you can tell when 24 hours has passed. You might even get them to add a little phosporus at the end so that it changes color when its time to pray again. Get as many of them as you need for your time in the underdark.

If your GM is going to be a stickler for timing and not work with you to come up with a creative way to keep track of time then don't make a cleric.

Thunder999
2021-02-18, 06:06 PM
I just assume characters have some innate sense of time, after all your always known how long is left on a buff and sleep for exactly 8 hours.

Fizban
2021-02-18, 06:47 PM
If some event prevents a character from praying at the proper time, he must do so as soon as possible.
If you sleep through dawn or otherwise miss your timing because you can't see the sun while doing Deity's work underground, that sounds like a perfectly standard exception.

farothel
2021-02-19, 08:54 AM
As said, most GMs are fairly okay with handwaving this (at least, all mine have and I would be as well).

I don't know all spells, but there are some that last 24 hours and if not, there is a metamagic feat that allows you to do so. That way you know when the spell runs out that 24 hours have passed. It can be dispelled of course, but I've not had that happen all that often either, so you can risk it. And on top you have a useful spell going on for 24 hours, which is never a bad thing to have.

SquidFighter
2021-02-19, 12:42 PM
Use a Waterclock.

It's only 1k gp and weighs 200lbs, must remain stationary with a constant water source, but it should work. :smalltongue:

Maat Mons
2021-02-19, 03:19 PM
Buy Everlasting Rations. Every day at dawn the pouch fills with food. Most Good Clerics prepare spells at dawn. So just take note when the pouch suddenly gains weight. That's your cue to stop and pray.

farothel
2021-02-19, 03:33 PM
Buy Everlasting Rations. Every day at dawn the pouch fills with food. Most Good Clerics prepare spells at dawn. So just take note when the pouch suddenly gains weight. That's your cue to stop and pray.

And it also helps keeping the party fed. Double win.