PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Oath of Redemption / Cleric of Peace multi-class builds

Thunderous Mojo
2021-02-17, 11:09 PM
I recently re-read Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light and was pondering how to build the character of Sam, or any other Warrior that becomes a figure of Peace and Compassion...with an adventurer/Hero twist.

I rolled some stats: 15, 14, 13,13,12, 16. Feel free to use Point Buy, or Default Array.

I decided to fiddle with using the Dragonmark of Passage for the Race.
Misty Step, Expeditious Retreat, Phantom Steed, and Dimension Door, are just a few of the movement enhancing spells that get added to the spell list.
Stats:
Str: 13
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Dex: 16
Con: 15
Cha: 14

Paladin 3 (Paladin levels taken at 1st, 6th, and 9th)
1st ASI at Character level 5: Resilient:CON

Even if one never increases their Charisma ability score, the Channel Divinity power, Rebuke the Violent, still deals half damage on a successful saving throw. (Emissary of Peace also can be useful).

I can envision, a well coordinated party spreading the damage and Reactions, so that one party member can use their Reaction to take a Critical Hit for a vulnerable party mate, and allow Rebuke the Violent to return some damage back to the attacker.

Phantom Steed is a Ritual Spell. I can see the utility in placing an Emboldening/Protective Bond on the Phantom Steed and sacrificing the Steed as a Reaction, to protect a PC.

The build scales well. As the monsters get more powerful so does the value of Rebuke the Violent,(even if it is only doing half damage due to a low save DC). As does the value of getting Expansive Bond.

What ideas do others have on the concept?

Andrwrwn
2021-02-18, 02:44 AM
What ideas do others have on the concept?

Not really sure how to put the build together, but from a thematic perspective, I think you want some way of binding demons and controlling electromagnetic flows (which can be easily refluffed from psionics), as these are Sam's key attributes.

First read Lord of Light around 25 years ago off my dad's bookshelf and it remains an all time favourite, so good luck with it :)

Thunderous Mojo
2021-02-18, 10:10 AM
Warlock is probably the fastest way to add "Demon Binding"...or altering the Cleric spell list to add Greater Summon Demon and other such spells.

Setting that issue aside, I'm quite bemused at imagining the interaction between Emboldening Bond and Rebuke the Violent, and the movement options in general, the build has at it's disposal.

While it doesn't exactly capture the feel of Sam from Lord of Light, it is an interesting take on a cleric.

Divine Smite is a good damage boost for the single cleric attack, if skill at arms is required. Potent Cantrip empowers Toll the Dead or Sacred Flame or Radiant Word.

Working in the Skilled feat from Tasha's could also be helpful. Expertise in the Persuasion skill plus Emissary of Peace is a +17 to Charisma:(Persuasion) ability checks in Tier 4. Seems a perfect base for a character that tries to redeem, make peace, or temporarily Ally with Gods,Demon Princes, and Archdevils.

Expansive Bond is the rare 17th level cleric subclass capstone power that actually entices me to stick with the class. I was originally intending to use more Paladin levels, but the Resistance to the damage taken, is exceptionally useful.

The only aspect the classes lack is a better way to add better Temp HP than the Heroism spell. Using a precious ASI on the Inspiring Leader Feat, could help alleviate this, though the choice carries a cost, due to being 'down' one ASI already.

Adventuring with an Artillerist would also work.