PDA

View Full Version : UA Recharge Magic

BardicDuelist
2007-11-08, 12:46 PM
What do you all think of this variant? Found here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedRecharge.html).

I think it is a bit more realistic than Vacanian casting, at least, but havn't tried it.

TheLogman
2007-11-08, 12:50 PM
Believeable? Yes
Fun? Probably
Overpowering? Absolutely.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-08, 12:57 PM
Believeable? Yes
Fun? Probably
Overpowering? Absolutely.

How so? It's probably overpowered at high levels, like all magic. What about lower levels though (i.e. 10<)?

TheLogman
2007-11-08, 01:38 PM
This would help Wizards and Sorcerers be more effective at lower levels, instead of "Oops there goes my only Magic Missile, sorry guys, I just do 1d4 1/15 of the time now!". However, if I ever ran this variant, I would limit the number of unique spells per day to make up for the nigh-unlimited number of spells they are casting.

Riffington
2007-11-08, 01:50 PM
It depends what kind of game you want to run.
You won't be able to wear down players by making them fight 4 times a day, instead you may as well give them real challenges since next fight they'll be fully recharged/healed.

Prometheus
2007-11-08, 03:15 PM
In the context of battle 2 minutes = 1 hour - so it doesn't really seem to be much different from saying
1) Regain spells after combat
2) You can't spend the same spell (much more than) twice in a combat.

This encourages variety, but means that spellcasters are vastly more effective at handling multiple encounters in one day. My campaigns usually only tend to have one encounter per day, so it would be an appropriate handicap on spellcasting. In other campaigns, it would be handing spellcasters a blank check.