PDA

View Full Version : Favorite (Fire) creatures

Falontani
2021-02-18, 12:57 PM
Been running a pretty fun Eberron campaign recently, but the group is quickly approaching a volcanic region and will need to be prepared for lava flows, toxic fumes, smoke, and more. But also I need creatures to populate the area. The area is also coterminous with Fernia the Plane of Fire, so any creature that would be a native to that plane could also make this area home. The party is about to hit level 13 and I was wondering what everyone's favorite creatures that would be able to thrive in an area like this was. Bonus points if you have any Fireborn (acidborn) Creatures that would be a threat to the party from within the lava without requiring the party to specifically enter the lava to be fought by such a creature.

Roninblack
2021-02-18, 02:07 PM
There's a cool little dungeon in deep horizon that does this really well, but off of the top of my head, salamanders, effrit, and fire elementals that stay in the lava pool and throw globs of lava.
Remember if the steam is hot enough it burns stuff!

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-02-18, 02:24 PM
The Fiend Folio has the living holocaust, which is a fire/air elemental. It can create literal firestorms, and it's quite fun and interesting compared to regular elementals. It probably wouldn't be too happy about any earth-based fire creatures getting its fire "dirty," so there could be some tension in the area for the PCs to exploit.

PrismCat21
2021-02-18, 02:38 PM
Cuddles - Lavaborn Imix-blooded Anthropomorphic Giant Squid

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=21400464&postcount=114

Nifft
2021-02-18, 02:51 PM
The area is also coterminous with Fernia the Plane of Fire, so any creature that would be a native to that plane could also make this area home.

IIRC Fernia is mildly Evil-aligned, so with that in mind...

Haraknin (Fiend Folio, under Canomorph) -- it's a Helhound which can turn into a humanoid, so it's basically a 4 HD prefix to any character class (with a punitive LA but a tolerable CR). Ignore the sample character which violates class alignment restrictions, and build a party of skirmishers (Scouts, Soulbows, Swordsages, and a Favored Soul) on top of the template. Warshaper might also be fun.

Iron Golem -- have it give a thumbs up as it is lowered into lava, because unlike that movie reference the lava heals an iron golem.

Ice Devil (Gelugon) -- ironically immune to Fire but not immune to Cold, basically a purpose-built anti-fire offensive unit.

Roninblack
2021-02-18, 03:15 PM

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=21400464&postcount=114

This is pretty cool!

noob
2021-02-18, 05:36 PM

Haraknin (Fiend Folio, under Canomorph) -- it's a Helhound which can turn into a humanoid, so it's basically a 4 HD prefix to any character class (with a punitive LA but a tolerable CR). Ignore the sample character which violates class alignment restrictions, and build a party of skirmishers (Scouts, Soulbows, Swordsages, and a Favored Soul) on top of the template. Warshaper might also be fun.

Iron Golem -- have it give a thumbs up as it is lowered into lava, because unlike that movie reference the lava heals an iron golem.

Ice Devil (Gelugon) -- ironically immune to Fire but not immune to Cold, basically a purpose-built anti-fire offensive unit.

only magical lava heals the iron golem:

Immunity to Magic (Ex): An iron golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows an iron golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, an iron golem hit by a fireball gains back 6 hit points if the damage total is 18 points. An iron golem gets no saving throw against fire effects.

An iron golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.
You see only magical attacks that deals fire damage heals so while magical lava heals them non magical lava still melts them(if it pierces the damage reduction).
In 3.0 iron golems used to have a such crazily high damage reduction that they would have been able to swim in lava for quite a long time but in 3.5 their dr is much lower.

No1Talks
2021-02-18, 05:52 PM
Lava children were always fun. Unfortunately, they were never stated-out for 3.x, just 1st and 5th editions. Perhaps you can make something of them, if you have access to the original publications mentioned at...

forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Lava_child

One Step Two
2021-02-18, 06:07 PM
I'd like to suggest the Rast (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rast.htm), they're a native to the Plane of Fire, and pretty underused. Their DC's wont make the party fear at 13th level, but a cluster of six will cause some concern, especially if you toss in an Advanced large sized one to be cluster leader, especially if you sprinkle in the elite array to really make them formidable.

Other than that, I enjoy sticking the Lavaborn, or the Fire Elemental creature template onto Aboleths, using their at-will illusions to create false paths through lava to mess with the party can make for terrifying encounters.

noob
2021-02-18, 06:24 PM
I'd like to suggest the Rast (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rast.htm), they're a native to the Plane of Fire, and pretty underused. Their DC's wont make the party fear at 13th level, but a cluster of six will cause some concern, especially if you toss in an Advanced large sized one to be cluster leader, especially if you sprinkle in the elite array to really make them formidable.

Other than that, I enjoy sticking the Lavaborn, or the Fire Elemental creature template onto Aboleths, using their at-will illusions to create false paths through lava to mess with the party can make for terrifying encounters.

Lavaborn Aboleths that wants to drown the world in lava.
Seems a great opposition.

Thurbane
2021-02-18, 07:04 PM
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031123a

Lavabriar
Necroclasm
Obsidian Ooze

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-02-18, 07:09 PM
I'd like to suggest the Rast (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rast.htm), they're a native to the Plane of Fire, and pretty underused. Their DC's wont make the party fear at 13th level, but a cluster of six will cause some concern, especially if you toss in an Advanced large sized one to be cluster leader, especially if you sprinkle in the elite array to really make them formidable.They have Int scores of 3, so they can take class levels.

Swordsage focusing on shadows and fire, anyone?

Falontani
2021-02-18, 07:31 PM
Snip
Definitely taking a salamander. Those SLAs from the big one are pretty fun, and it makes sense for a single Noble Salamander to come to the material plane on a vacation of sorts. You don't bring your retinue to a vacation, so it wont seem too odd for a noble salamander to be encountered alone. CL 15 SLAs on top of a sturdy melee chassis, swap out some feats for quicken spell like ability (for the fireball) swap the +3 medium spear out for a +3 large spear (it is large after all) and take some grapple feats like Multigrab. Unless they expend a slot for FOM it can reasonably hold one of their casters while casting quickened fireballs on itself and the melees all while still stabbing out with the spear.

Ok, Cuddles is amazing, is there a reason that you went Anthro Giant Squid instead of just an Awakened Giant Squid? I may be missing something there, but it seems to lower the HD drastically at the beginning without lowering the CR. Monstrous Humanoid is better than Animal HD, and Anthro is easier to slot in as a character.

Haraknin (Fiend Folio, under Canomorph) -- it's a Hellhound which can turn into a humanoid, so it's basically a 4 HD prefix to any character class (with a punitive LA but a tolerable CR). Ignore the sample character which violates class alignment restrictions, and build a party of skirmishers (Scouts, Soulbows, Swordsages, and a Favored Soul) on top of the template. Warshaper might also be fun.
I am definitely looking at this one. But its alternate form ability is kind of off putting. It functions as Alter Self, but then the suggested statblocks (which are indeed 2 Barbarian levels even though it is lawful) have the same stats in humanoid and hellhound form. I know that FF was thrown in at the very end of 3.0 and the very beginning of 3.5, and the polymorph rules were one of the biggest things that shifted around within 3rd as a whole. If it just retains its stats that is easy enough, but if it takes the physical stats of the new form on top, or instead of, it quickly becomes complicated. Warshaper definitely seems like the route to go, and if I don't go with Cuddles above, then Warshaper Psychic Warrior Haraknin sounds fun.

Rast

Did I seriously forget that this thing existed? Yes, I did indeed. Hmm... This one can either get unique really fast and be super fun (thinking Lichfiend from LM) or I can make a horde of these guys.

Lavaborn Aboleths that wants to drown the world in lava.
Seems a great opposition.
I did that with this group in a previous campaign. I wouldn't want to pull out Lavaborn Aboleths too often. They are fun though.

Thurbane
2021-02-18, 07:44 PM
Some of these may have already been mentioned:

Elemental Drake, Magma (Dr, p.155)
Flame Snake (FF, p.173)
Golem, Magmacore (MM5 p.70)
Lavawight (ELH p.200)
Magma Hurler (MH, p.65)
Magmal Horror (online (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20040326a))
Mephit, Magma (MM1, p.183)
Ooze, Lava (Sa, p.178)
Paraelemental, Magma (MotP, p.183)

One Step Two
2021-02-18, 08:10 PM
Did I seriously forget that this thing existed? Yes, I did indeed. Hmm... This one can either get unique really fast and be super fun (thinking Lichfiend from LM) or I can make a horde of these guys.

Yeah, Rast is an odd creature that just happens to exist in the game, they're great bang for buck in groups, making the party take 3+ saves in the surprise round is memorable. I also support the idea of making one a Swordsage that MaxiDuRaritry mentioned!

I did that with this group in a previous campaign. I wouldn't want to pull out Lavaborn Aboleths too often. They are fun though.

Depending how memorable that encounter was, you could have some neutral Fire denizens, such as Azer, mention they're having trouble with Lavaborn Aboleths in the past just to instill a little fear and nostalgia!

Thurbane
2021-02-18, 08:43 PM
Ok, Cuddles is amazing, is there a reason that Thurbane went Anthro Giant Squid instead of just an Awakened Giant Squid? I may be missing something there, but it seems to lower the HD drastically at the beginning without lowering the CR. Monstrous Humanoid is better than Animal HD, and Anthro is easier to slot in as a character.

Just FYI, that was from back in the days when I was chairing VC. The creator of Cuddles was actually PrismCat21 :smallsmile:

Falontani
2021-02-18, 09:28 PM
Just FYI, that was from back in the days when I was chairing VC. The creator of Cuddles was actually PrismCat21 :smallsmile:

post edited, thank you for the heads up!

Nifft
2021-02-18, 09:30 PM
only magical lava heals the iron golem:

You see only magical attacks that deals fire damage heals so while magical lava heals them non magical lava still melts them(if it pierces the damage reduction).
In 3.0 iron golems used to have a such crazily high damage reduction that they would have been able to swim in lava for quite a long time but in 3.5 their dr is much lower.

Oh my, we've been doing it wrong then.

Thanks!

Particle_Man
2021-02-19, 12:34 AM
Is fire elemental too obvious then? :smallsmile:

Perhaps a red dragon? I guess a half black dragon red dragon might be unfair.

Quentinas
2021-02-19, 08:35 AM
Blazewyrm from dragon magic, I generally advanced their hit dice, or I use template, but I like the concept behind that creature

liquidformat
2021-02-19, 10:40 AM
I am going to repeat Magma Hurler as Thurbane suggested, they are quite powerful for CR 3 creatures. They can hurl Magma rocks (3d10+8 plus 1d6 fire) with 30' range increment up to 150' so they are a great choice to have swarming in the lava hurling magma rocks at the intrepid adventures, you could even use volley rules. They are quite nasty to deal with.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-02-19, 11:15 AM
A lot of these critters are fairly low CR. As I mentioned above, feel free to add class levels to anything with Int 3+. And if they don't have Int 3+, add a template or awaken them to give them Int 3+ (or just give 'em a really nice template or two to beef them up).

One other problem with using fire as a central theme for mid-to-high level adventures is that getting high level resistances and immunities isn't difficult. So you might want to find ways to overcome such, like making them all part of an organization and giving the leader the Loyalty's Reward feat to give all the monsters something akin to Searing Spell, but for non-spell abilities.

smetzger
2021-02-19, 03:30 PM
Lava children were always fun. Unfortunately, they were never stated-out for 3.x, just 1st and 5th editions. Perhaps you can make something of them, if you have access to the original publications mentioned at...

forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Lava_child

They are in the Tome of Horrors by Sword and Sorcery and yes these guys are interesting.

hamishspence
2021-02-19, 03:39 PM

Ordered Chaos feat should make the character functional and able to use its Rage ability. "Effects that key off alignment treat the character as Chaotic" - and that would include class features, since "Chaotic" is enough to be "Nonlawful".

Their real alignment would still exist though - they'd still be vulnerable to Anarchic weapons.

Maat Mons
2021-02-19, 04:55 PM
Fire Bat (MM2) is definitely my favorite.

They can double their population every 3 days if there's enough food. They have Regeneration overcome only by Cold. And they like to attack in groups of 11-20.

Nifft
2021-02-19, 04:56 PM
Ordered Chaos feat should make the character functional and able to use its Rage ability.

That looks like a poor use of the feat.

Do you imagine something in that sample character is worth saving?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-02-19, 05:03 PM
Ordered Chaos feat should make the character functional and able to use its Rage ability. "Effects that key off alignment treat the character as Chaotic" - and that would include class features, since "Chaotic" is enough to be "Nonlawful".

Their real alignment would still exist though - they'd still be vulnerable to Anarchic weapons.Or just use the chaos monk and take flailing strike instead of the flurry that blows.

Thurbane
2021-02-19, 07:54 PM
They are in the Tome of Horrors by Sword and Sorcery and yes these guys are interesting.

ToH is a great resource for un-converted monsters from earlier editions.

If you can;t get hold of a copy, here is a fanmande 3.0 conversion: https://web.archive.org/web/20120924124216/http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/humanoid/lava_children.htm

PrismCat21
2021-02-19, 09:34 PM
Ok, Cuddles is amazing, is there a reason that you went Anthro Giant Squid instead of just an Awakened Giant Squid? I may be missing something there, but it seems to lower the HD drastically at the beginning without lowering the CR. Monstrous Humanoid is better than Animal HD, and Anthro is easier to slot in as a character.

From what I remember, that was my very first entry in any of the competitions. I didn't have a firm grasp on what was and wasn't technically allowed vs traditionally frowned upon. I believe I first chose to keep Animal HD due to conflict with some rules. I ended up breaking rules with Cuddles anyways though.
I thought using Awakened for an entry was illegal, turns out it as just frowned upon by certain Judges and others just didn't care.
There were a lot of conventions in the Contest that weren't officially rules that people still followed.

I believe that round was the most antagonistic I've seen yet. I'm sure Thurbane still has flashbacks to it... :frown:

Particle_Man
2021-02-19, 11:40 PM
Wait, volcanoes are mountains and dwarves live in mountains so what about the Azer?

ShurikVch
2021-02-20, 12:26 PM
Ember Guard (Monster Manual V)?

Demonically Fused (Dragon Compendium) Greater Fire Elemental?

Magma Elemental Creature (Dragon #347) Monstrous Beast (Savage Species) Gargantuan Monstrous Crab (Stormwrack)?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-02-20, 12:35 PM
Symbiotic template with things immune to fire? Double-plus good if they're also immune to cold and have attacks that aren't fire-based to prevent common anti-fire tactics from working.

Vaern
2021-02-20, 02:10 PM
Damage reduction only applies to physical damage, though. Fire damage is energy damage, even if it's non-magical. Harness is a different story, though that's typically only used for objects rather than creatures.

Falontani
2021-02-20, 05:49 PM
thank you for all the great ideas guys! I have some great encounters planned.

noob
2021-02-21, 12:09 PM
Damage reduction only applies to physical damage, though. Fire damage is energy damage, even if it's non-magical. Harness is a different story, though that's typically only used for objects rather than creatures.
Sorry I assumed that golem dr would work like hardness by virtue of them being magical items or something but it is not the case.

ShurikVch
2021-02-21, 02:47 PM
Magma Drake (Draconomicon)

Half-Fire Elemental (Manual of the Planes) Elemental Mage, Ken-Li (Monster Manual V)

Magma Wraith (Key of Destiny) Ephemeral Exemplar 3 (Libris Mortis)

Boneworm (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20020817a)

Falontani
2021-02-21, 02:57 PM
Key of destiny? Is that a web article or adventure?

ShurikVch
2021-02-21, 03:02 PM
Key of destiny? Is that a web article or adventure?
It's the first book in Age of Mortals Campaign for Dragonlance
Key of Destiny (https://dragonlancenexus.com/products/key-of-destiny/)