PDA

View Full Version : I need some help to homebrew a feat

Trandir
2021-02-18, 07:06 PM
My DM is very chill and allows for homebrew, within reason. This means that if I want I can homebrew a feat and I think it would be a shame to not take this chance and get something unique.

My problem is that I do not really know what to homebrew. There are just too many possibilities. Any idea?

Some maybe useful informations:

- The campaign is planned to end at 9th level
- Vhuman (bonus feat Alert) genie (dao) patron Warlock 3
- Ability scores: 9, 16, 14, 10, 10, 16
- current invocations: fiendish vigor, book of ancient secrets
- rest of the party: open hand monk, berserker barbarian, mutagen bloodhunter, valor bard

Some houserules:

- Instead of your usual slots a 3rd level warlock gets 3 lv 1 slots and 1 lv 2 slot.
- At 4th level you get an ASI and a feat instead of choosing between the two

Ghost Nappa
2021-02-18, 07:16 PM
Are you interested in specializing - making yourself better at something you already do well - or diversifying - making yourself better at something you're bad at?

Trandir
2021-02-18, 07:23 PM
Are you interested in specializing - making yourself better at something you already do well - or diversifying - making yourself better at something you're bad at?

Idk really. Any would work well in play. I was considering an "elemental touched" to get something neat offlist.

But if I had to choose I would go for specialization as that usually pays off more in d&d, even tho making up for a weakness of the class would also be great.

Kane0
2021-02-18, 07:24 PM
What does your character like, enjoy, want to excel at?

Trandir
2021-02-18, 07:45 PM
What does your character like, enjoy, want to excel at?

To live, as in actively avoid death. So following a balanced diet, doing exercise regularly, having a good 8 hour sleep every night and so on

Reading mostly, doesn't really get the time to do much else. But if he had the time would most likely enjoy constructing miniatures of buildings.

And that is an excellent question at which I can't answer. What would be a good thing to excel at? (Other than EB spam, we already have enough of that)

Kane0
2021-02-18, 08:22 PM
Point being if you want to be mechanically good there's no real reason to reinvent the wheel, you can pick up something like Lucky, Observant, Fey Touched, Resilient, Inspiring Leader, Spell Sniper, Warcaster, etc and that's a strong use of an ASI.

If you want to make your own feat to be used this one time for this one character, you want it to be about that character.

If they're an artist, perhaps they can bring their art to life
If they're a survivalist, perhaps they can eat and drink basically anything and sleep anywhere
If they're paranoid about losing their soul, perhaps they learn some way to protect it

Trandir
2021-02-18, 08:35 PM
Point being if you want to be mechanically good there's no real reason to reinvent the wheel, you can pick up something like Lucky, Observant, Fey Touched, Resilient, Inspiring Leader, Spell Sniper, Warcaster, etc and that's a strong use of an ASI.

If you want to make your own feat to be used this one time for this one character, you want it to be about that character.

If they're an artist, perhaps they can bring their art to life
If they're a survivalist, perhaps they can eat and drink basically anything and sleep anywhere
If they're paranoid about losing their soul, perhaps they learn some way to protect it

Here is the thing, the PC is afraid to die. In the sense that he got thanatophobia, which goes far beyond the simple instinct of self preservation. But for that we already got the usual resilient (Con), tough and moderately armored.

Kane0
2021-02-18, 08:42 PM
That is something we can work with though.

- Advantage on Death Saves
- Need 5 instead of 3 failed Death Saves to die
- Increase the minimum you receive when healed (reroll 1s, add X, etc)
- Being subject to a healing/buff spell doesn't count against number of targets you can affect with that spell (Bless, Aid, etc)
- Copycat the Half-Orcs don't-die racial feature
- Roll CON saves as if they were WIS or CHA saves
- Can have two DM inspirations at a time instead of 1
- Advantage to saving throws lets you roll 3 dice instead of 2
- Things that would normally bypass damage resistance you have don't affect you
- You can't suffer disadvantage on saving throws
- Protective/Abjuration spells cast on you last twice as long (Mage Armor, Protection from Evil, Death Ward, etc) and/or attempts to dispel them are made at disadvantage
- When you take the Disengage action or cast a spell that teleports you away from a hostile creature that you are within reach of you can also take the Dodge action as a Bonus action.

Anything to get across the idea that you aren't just harder to kill, you are actively afraid of being killed to the point of enforcing your will upon events to ensure it doesn't happen. You are a CHA caster after all.