PDA

View Full Version : Monkey D. Luffy in 5e

Greywander
2021-02-19, 01:09 AM
I've been binging One Piece lately, and was thinking about how you'd build some of the characters in D&D 5e. Now, I realize that D&D probably isn't the best system for One Piece characters, but that doesn't stop me from wondering about this.

Now, you might think that, because Luffy uses unarmed strikes almost exclusively, monk would be the best fit. And I could see putting perhaps a few levels into monk for certain class features. But I actually think that barbarian might be a better fit. Luffy has been shown to be absurdly strong (as in, he lifts really heavy things; I'm pretty sure he's as inhumanly strong as someone like Zoro), as well as very resilient. Luffy's exact class progression might be able to be mapped according to the series progression, i.e. when he gets a new ability or special attack in the anime/manga corresponds to gaining a level in a class that confers a similar ability. My best estimate is that he starts at 3rd level to reflect that he's already somewhat experienced and definitely a competent fighter (he beats Alvida handily in the first episode), and is probably around 5th level when he enters the Grand Line.

There is the matter of Luffy's devil fruit powers. One angle I thought of that could work would be to use caster classes and spells to represent any devil fruit abilities (e.g. using Eldritch Blast for Luffy's stretchy punches), and then make the ocean an anti-magic zone. There are a couple problems with this, however. For one, if Luffy is a barbarian, then he won't be able to use spells while raging. Another is that characters without devil fruit powers could also be represented as casters, e.g. Ussop probably has some artificer levels. A third issue is that the way it is depicted in the series, the ocean doesn't actually block devil fruit abilities, it just saps the strength of devil fruit users. For example, in the Arlong arc, when Luffy gets his feet trapped in the concrete and thrown into the water, they stretch his neck so as to get his head above water, so clearly his devil fruit powers are still working. A fourth issue is that a lot of devil fruit users are very physical, e.g. most of Luffy's abilities should be keying off of STR, not a mental stat.

Another way to represent devil fruit abilities might be to write up a homebrew template for each devil fruit. Luffy's gumgum fruit might look like the following:

Rejected by the Sea. While immersed in seawater, you are stunned. (I'm a little unclear on how this actually works; can devil fruit users not swim even in fresh water?)

Rubber Resistance. You are resistant to bludgeoning and lightning damage. (Should perhaps be immune, but that might be a bit too strong for a PC. Partially redundant with Rage, but always on.)

Elastic. As a bonus action, you can increase your reach by 60 feet until the end of your turn. Anything you are holding, grabbing, or grappling will either snap back to you or pull you to it, either at the moment you grab it or at the end of your turn, your choice.
Your body can also be stretched up to 60 feet and held in place. Any part that is stretched out will snap back in place the moment it is no longer held in place.

Honestly, there's actually a lot that the gumgum fruit does, but a simple reach increase seems like the most straightforward way of handling it. Otherwise, we'd probably need multiple paragraphs describing how the ability works. A simple reach increase also allows it to be combined with other class features in order to replicate Luffy's signature special moves, rather than making those special moves inherent features of the devil fruit itself. Also, I'm pretty sure Luffy has stretched a lot more than 60 feet, but I'm not sure at what point an extended reach would break the game; 60 feet is probably way past that point as it is.

I think trying to make this work just highlights why D&D isn't really a good system for this. That doesn't mean it can't work, just that doing so will be a bit awkward.

elyktsorb
2021-02-19, 07:33 AM
Honestly he's probably more Monk than you give him credit for. He would be a Str based monk.. Which wouldn't be great mechanically but it would fit thematically. If anything taking 1 or 2 levels of Barbarian at first is definitely more appropriate since Luffy definitely spends more time outright tanking attacks, but he is also pretty Dexterous. I'd say go take more Barbarian levels, but the only appropriate subclass is Berserker, which kind of clashes hard with Monk. It's a bit torn, because Monk gives you that punching flurry Luffy is very well known for. Though I suppose you could take the Unarmed Fighting style as a feat on a first level human (Assuming you don't make the devil fruit some kind of feat since in a normal dnd game, the downsides of it will be negligible) But Berseker is very Luffy, Frenzy makes sense thematically because in almost every major fight Luffy basically puts himself out of commission for a time after he's won the fight. (Poor choice mechanically since if he is Monk/Barbarian then Frenzy is sort of pointless)

Mindless Rage is appropriate because once he starts fighting, those sorts of things don't really work on him.

Intimidating Presence is a good way to mimic Conqueror's Haki

As far as Monk subclasses go, instead of making the fruit thing a mechanic, flavoring the Astral Arms of Astral Self to be the character stretching their limbs wouldn't be a bad idea. But Astral Self is a poor choice thematically. Other than that, Open Hand or Drunken Master are better choices (even if Luffy isn't that big on alcohol) mechanically both fit him well.

As for your Devil Fruit questions, it is specifically salt water that does it. In One Piece pretty much every huge body of water is the ocean. Most islands don't have pools of freshwater, just salt, and fresh water is either shipped in or pumped from below, or filtered in some fashion.

Your Rejected by the Sea is fine, since unless your specifically doing an ocean based campaign, you'll never run into sea water.

I'd say you could bump up Rubber Resistance to make them immune to Lightning, and Bludgeoning (lightnings not super common and there are 3 different weapons damages for basic weapons) But I would add that the character would be Vulnerable to Slashing and Piercing Damage (also possibly cold damage, you don't see it much in the show because only like 1 guy has ice powers but rubber does not do well when frozen) which would mean while Raging he'd take normal damage from things he's vulnerable to.

As for Elastic, I would make it not a bonus action, and instead make it something you can do with any action. "When you take the attack action, you can extend your range 60ft, you can also use this property to extend your range when performing other actions, etc." and probably include something along the lines of "Grabbing an object/creature that you cannot pull causes you to be pulled to that object."

Kane0
2021-02-19, 07:38 AM
Refluffed bugbear for the reach perhaps, if you aren’t using Astral Monk?

Greywander
2021-02-19, 02:27 PM
Honestly he's probably more Monk than you give him credit for.
I forgot to mention this in the OP, but one of the reasons I wouldn't go deep into monk is that WIS is definitely a dump stat for Luffy, which is further evidenced by his susceptibility to mind-altering effects (e.g. Jango's hypnosis). Now, with a barbarian dip, you can get your AC from CON instead, and you could just not use Stunning Strike or other monk features that rely on saves. You'd still be pretty MAD, though, trying to beef up STR, DEX, and CON, though maybe you can ignore AC if you go bear totem barbarian and just tank the hits.

Your Rejected by the Sea is fine, since unless your specifically doing an ocean based campaign, you'll never run into sea water.
Well, this is in the context of One Piece, so I feel like the assumption should be a high seas campaign. This is a bit like saying "vampire is fine as long as you're not in a campaign that has sunlight." Now, that said, I've noticed that devil fruit users have an uncanny ability to not fall into the ocean, even when blasted over the horizon by a gum gum bazooka. You'd think Luffy would be nervous to sit on the figurehead of his ship, as one big wave could knock him off into the water, but apparently such things just don't seem to happen. This... actually makes some sense, assuming the DM isn't a jerk that makes people roll randomly to not fall in the ocean; it's only an issue when one character purposely tries to put another character in the ocean, or in other rare circumstances like the ship itself sinking. In that regard, it's more about limiting where you can go than surrounding you with deadly hazards.

I'd say you could bump up Rubber Resistance to make them immune to Lightning, and Bludgeoning (lightnings not super common and there are 3 different weapons damages for basic weapons) But I would add that the character would be Vulnerable to Slashing and Piercing Damage (also possibly cold damage, you don't see it much in the show because only like 1 guy has ice powers but rubber does not do well when frozen) which would mean while Raging he'd take normal damage from things he's vulnerable to.
I'd be cautious about giving damage vulnerabilities, especially since he's not any more susceptible to slashing weapons than a normal human. The real vulnerability is that he isn't resistant to piercing or slashing weapons. I do agree that it's kind of weird if he's only resistant to bludgeoning, but becomes resistant to all three types while raging, so it might make sense to make him immune to bludgeoning and lightning so that slashing and piercing are more effective rather than equally effective. Alternatively, making bludgeoning and lightning deal half damage, so like resistance but it would stack with resistance, so only a quarter damage while raging. As for cold, I don't remember that fight and haven't gotten that far in my most recent binge yet (IIRC, I've seen up to episode 700 or so several years ago, and I'm up to 130 or so now). How I'd probably do that is just give him disadvantage on attacks after taking cold damage, and/or a speed debuff, and/or just disabling his devil fruit abilities.

As for Elastic, I would make it not a bonus action, and instead make it something you can do with any action. "When you take the attack action, you can extend your range 60ft, you can also use this property to extend your range when performing other actions, etc." and probably include something along the lines of "Grabbing an object/creature that you cannot pull causes you to be pulled to that object."
The reason I made it use a bonus action was to encourage you to get into melee range so you can use your BA for other things. Otherwise, it would make more sense to fight like an archer and stay at range. Luffy does frequently get into close quarters while fighting, his stretching most often comes into play as an opening attack or when an enemy moves farther away from him, or is used at melee range anyway which wouldn't require a BA since it would just be fluff.

Besides, I feel like having a 60+ foot reach is something that a creative player could really abuse in unforeseen ways, which actually kind of fits Luffy's fighting style. His rubber ability is actually not very strong, but he gets a lot of mileage out of it by using it creatively, which is what allows him to beat opponents with stronger devil fruit abilities.

Refluffed bugbear for the reach perhaps, if you aren’t using Astral Monk?
Not a bad idea. I saw a video of someone trying to build Luffy in 5e using just RAW, and they went with bugbear as well.

There are a few things that can kind of replicate Luffy's stretching abilities. Eldritch Blast could be his long range punches, Repelling Blast can be his gumgum bazooka attack. Thorn Whip could be a pseudo-grapple. Something like Misty Step or Relentless Hex could be him pulling himself over to something he's grabbed. As mentioned in the OP, though, a lot of these are going to key off of mental stats, not STR, and some of them deal the wrong kind of damage.

It's also worth noting that Luffy is a very strong fighter, which probably means he's well optimized (contrast with Nami or Ussop, who aren't optimized for combat). A build that replicates his abilities isn't likely to also be an optimized build. On the other hand, something like the homebrew template in the OP could pave the way for a new optimized build taking advantage of the reach increase. That said, rather than a template, perhaps each devil fruit should be an entire class, especially considering that devil fruit users are thematically similar to sorcerers (or warlocks, depending on how you think devil fruits work). But homebrewing entire classes is a lot more work than a simple template, but it would allow you to capture the nuance of each devil fruit better.

Amechra
2021-02-19, 02:36 PM
Each Devil Fruit is clearly its own Warlock Patron.

It's got Devil in the name.

Segev
2021-02-19, 02:59 PM
Each Devil Fruit is clearly its own Warlock Patron.

It's got Devil in the name.

I like this idea, except for one thing: what Devil's Fruit user has a familiar, pact weapon, or book of shadows? You might find one or two examples that match one of those, but the vast majority don't. Maybe the Sea Devil is the Patron, and Pact of the Fruit is the Pact Boon?

For a level one suite of Patron features, you have the obvious "hammer" inability to swim as a negative feature, and now need an up-side. I'm thinking a freebie Invocation for starters.

The other problem with this notion is the same as that with the Hexblade Patron: this clearly would be a design for a single Patron + Pact Boon.

Maybe it's better as a Sorcerous Bloodline for each Devil's Fruit?

ftafp
2021-02-19, 03:39 PM
I feel like we're overlooking supernatural gifts. Those seem to be kind of a catchall solution at the moment.

Greywander
2021-02-19, 03:54 PM
I feel like we're overlooking supernatural gifts. Those seem to be kind of a catchall solution at the moment.
Supernatural gifts are just a specific example of a template. In fact, there doesn't seem to be much difference between feats and templates, either. All of these are just a package of abilities/features that can be added on to an existing character. Races carry certain basic traits that make it difficult to have more than one race (e.g. what if both races have different speeds or sizes?), and classes carry a lot of other mechanical effects such as hit dice or proficiency bonus gains. Neither of those can be added on to an already existing character, rather race + class forms the core identity of a character, while things like feats, templates, and supernatural gifts can be added on as you please.

Joe the Rat
2021-02-19, 03:58 PM
Thematically, they are closer to Boons, as anyone who eats one gets the package. You can definitely get one after character creation.

The specific nature of each means that you'd pretty much have to build each separately: Effect, damage/element affinity / bane (Paramecia and Logia), Form boons (Zoan), and the Curse. This is one of those things where a PrC would be really handy: Anyone can do it, specific entry requirement, gain additional functions / options as you level. Elsewise you'd need a feat, and that's a pretty crude way to get at it.

As for building...
You are an unarmed, unarmored brawler: Monk or Barbarian with the Unarmed Fighting style. In many ways barbarian works better, as any of the archetypes grand physical damage resistance, but don't protect from elemental effects. We handwave the lack of slashing / piercing in this case. You could also use Rage as the Gear modes. You will need lightning resistance / immunity at some point. (that face...)

Reach is the next trick. bugbear is the only native way to get this barring astral self. I'd also layer in Lunging Strike, and probably some other fun maneuvers. This actually makes something of a case for fighter (battle master, unarmed fighting style), now you just need to address toughness. But I could also see some Psi Knight shenanigans here too - not so much telekinetic as actually reaching out and touching someone., moving them around, etc.

While not quite the right thematic style, Monk does come with some major benefits though - deflect missiles and slow fall are definitely in the rubber boy family, and Gomu Gomu Rocket is basically Step of the Wind with a preliminary handhold. Here I think you might get more mileage out of 5Elements or a rebranding thereof - Fangs of the Fire Snake and Fist of Unbroken Air capture aspects of the extended reach - recast to bludgeoning, and you are good. Hell, you could probably convert Sun Soul writ large - effectively you have a 30' melee attack, and can also render an area effect flurry (cinder strike) or longish range gatling. This also makes a case for reskinned spellcasting, particularly in the wackier Gear and haki configurations. A Quickening Sorlock with Agonizing, Repelling, and Grasp makes a pretty good stand in for long arms, though the aesthetic doesn't kick in until mid-late (Dao Warlock / BluDrag Sorc with Fighter 2 - all the blasts, once a rest, with extra bludgeon).

iTreeby
2021-02-19, 08:21 PM
Echo Knight cam sortof represent the mobility and range increases if you wanted to reflavor the echo.

elyktsorb
2021-02-21, 11:06 AM
I forgot to mention this in the OP, but one of the reasons I wouldn't go deep into monk is that WIS is definitely a dump stat for Luffy, which is further evidenced by his susceptibility to mind-altering effects (e.g. Jango's hypnosis). Now, with a barbarian dip, you can get your AC from CON instead, and you could just not use Stunning Strike or other monk features that rely on saves. You'd still be pretty MAD, though, trying to beef up STR, DEX, and CON, though maybe you can ignore AC if you go bear totem barbarian and just tank the hits.

I mean true, though I wouldn't say Wisdom is exactly a dump stat for Luffy, especially since in that episode it's more implied that the hypnotism works better on people with less Intelligence (which is definitely a dump stat for Luffy) as Luffy definitely has that sort of 'fighitng knowledge' kind of Wisdom going for him. I wouldn't say his wisdom is amazing, but not terrible.

You'd think Luffy would be nervous to sit on the figurehead of his ship, as one big wave could knock him off into the water, but apparently such things just don't seem to happen. This... actually makes some sense, assuming the DM isn't a jerk that makes people roll randomly to not fall in the ocean; it's only an issue when one character purposely tries to put another character in the ocean, or in other rare circumstances like the ship itself sinking. In that regard, it's more about limiting where you can go than surrounding you with deadly hazards.

To be fair that's like Luffy's entire character showing for those moments, not to mention I'm pretty sure the dude's quick enough to catch himself if a wave did hit the ship and subsequently knocked him off.

I'd be cautious about giving damage vulnerabilities, especially since he's not any more susceptible to slashing weapons than a normal human. The real vulnerability is that he isn't resistant to piercing or slashing weapons. I do agree that it's kind of weird if he's only resistant to bludgeoning, but becomes resistant to all three types while raging, so it might make sense to make him immune to bludgeoning and lightning so that slashing and piercing are more effective rather than equally effective. Alternatively, making bludgeoning and lightning deal half damage, so like resistance but it would stack with resistance, so only a quarter damage while raging. As for cold, I don't remember that fight and haven't gotten that far in my most recent binge yet (IIRC, I've seen up to episode 700 or so several years ago, and I'm up to 130 or so now). How I'd probably do that is just give him disadvantage on attacks after taking cold damage, and/or a speed debuff, and/or just disabling his devil fruit abilities.

Yeah, I said vulnerability because the game doesn't have a 'resistance' sort of classification for taking more damage to something. If you want to make it like half damage gets added it could be neat. Though it wouldn't be entirely accurate like you said, since he's not 'weak' to those attacks, those are just the attacks that effect him. But I mostly said it for the purpose of balancing the Devil Fruit powers in a non-sea setting.

TBF in that episode the power gap between Luffy and him is huge, but that's mostly going off of just the properties of rubber.

The reason I made it use a bonus action was to encourage you to get into melee range so you can use your BA for other things. Otherwise, it would make more sense to fight like an archer and stay at range. Luffy does frequently get into close quarters while fighting, his stretching most often comes into play as an opening attack or when an enemy moves farther away from him, or is used at melee range anyway which wouldn't require a BA since it would just be fluff.

Besides, I feel like having a 60+ foot reach is something that a creative player could really abuse in unforeseen ways, which actually kind of fits Luffy's fighting style. His rubber ability is actually not very strong, but he gets a lot of mileage out of it by using it creatively, which is what allows him to beat opponents with stronger devil fruit abilities.

It's also worth noting that Luffy is a very strong fighter, which probably means he's well optimized (contrast with Nami or Ussop, who aren't optimized for combat). A build that replicates his abilities isn't likely to also be an optimized build.

I mean yeah, but Luffy does get pretty creative sometimes. The issue here is that in One Piece, characters would be able to more easily react to Luffy punching them if all he ever did was stretch his arms from a distance (not to mention that would mean leaving his arms vulnerable between him and his target) but in 5E, you could stretch over and punch someone and they can't do anything to you because it's not their turn. So it probably makes more sense to for it to be a BA thing in dnd, though it being an at-will thing he can just do whenever would be more true to character, but I would say to still add something that lets the player grab stuff and pull themselves too it.

The problem with Luffy being 'optimized' is that the things that would make him accurate, would be some poorly optimized choices (str monk, barbarian that wastes a feat to get better unarmed strikes, barb/monk multiclassing to get the punch flurry but still have AC scale off of Barb's unarmored defense)

Though I suddenly had an interesting thought while making this post.

A custom class for devil's fruit could be as easy as taking the Druid's 'wild shape' and re-tooling it for specific devil fruits. Like, you gaining new devil fruit abilities could be based on your level -you learning how to use it better- I mean obviously it would need heavy re-tooling per fruit but it could be interesting.

Nidgit
2021-02-21, 11:57 AM
If I'm making someone purely accurate, it's probably a Totem Barbarian with mostly Tiger/Elk/Eagle abilities. Definitely not optimized though.

Something more optimized might be Bugbear Barbarian 2/Samurai X, with the Unarmed Fighting Style (obviously) and the Sharpshooter feat to simulate long-range punches. Great at hitting a lot with pretty good accuracy, but not going to hit especially hard per hit.

Also, you should check out Grand Line 3.5 if you haven't before!

Sharur
2021-02-21, 02:42 PM
I second the "custom" warlock option, noting that it could be like the Hexblade, actually changing the progression of the class.

Contrast
2021-02-21, 02:51 PM
I have an unarmed Rune Knight character that does a few things we're looking for.

Getting bigger could be flavoured as blowing himself up. Action Surge for gattling attacks. Unarmed is unarmed obviously.

I have the Cloud and Stone runes which would easily be using rubber skin to bounce back attacks and Haki respectively.

The eldritch claw tattoo grants extra reach but is unfortunately only once per day which is the real downer of making this work. Perhaps talk to your DM about something similar with more uses and perhaps ditch the bonus damage in exchange?